What's new

Volume at 0db - +12db not very loud at all (1 Viewer)

jasnall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Question: Why isn't the volume very loud when I turn it up to 0db and beyond?

So this will be my first post of many trying to get the grab bag of HT goodies I just picked up working. More to the story later bt cliff notes: Mom losing house, had crazy HT, we gutted it, I'm now piecing together what I can in My house.

Equipment in use:

NAD T773 A/V Reciever
NAD CL 9120 12 chan Amp.
Both on Monster power center HTS 2500

1 Niles AT8200 Loud Speaker

I've just plugged the listed stuff in to test it out.

Digi COAX out of my cable box into Digi in on receiver.
I tried just putting the speaker on the receiver and when turned up to 0db its just normal not very loud volume.

Then I turned on the AMP put the speaker on that and ran a cable from the Front L Preout to the input on the AMP and same thing. Speaker worked but even at max +12db just normal volume.

Whats the deal? Most receivers I've used about -32db is normal listening volume. I'm pretty good with electronics but these pieces are a little more than I've dealt with.

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Your only question was "What's the deal?". "Not very loud" is a very subjective statement. Back that up with some numbers. Have you checked the level controls on the amp if it has any? Have you tested with a 0db level signal?

jasnall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Sorry guess I was a little vague. I don't have any meters, and the knob on the amp for that channel was already turned up.
I thinkTte volume range on the receiver is form -60dm - +12. What I mean by "Not very loud" is that I can turn it to max, +12db, and I won't be waking any babies up.

I just used the receiver last night and ran two speakers and a sub off of it. I was watching TV at about -25db as a comfortable volume, I also turned up each channel by 2db.

Maybe its just how this receiver is, I'm just used to watching tv on my other receiver at around -40db.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Manual - http://nadelectronics.com/img/manual/NAD-CI9120_9060.pdf

Page 8, what are you amp trim settings? Turning them to the max allows full voltage from the receiver to reach the amp.

For a full 80w of output power, the amp must have a 1v input signal and be driving a 6 ohm speaker. Less input signal or a higher impedance speaker will both yeild less than optimum power.

You do know this amp is designed for a whole house audio system and not a home theater. Not that it won't work.

jasnall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hey Thanks for the manual link! Trim were pretty much to max, I turned the chan i was using to max and i noticed a difference but it wasn't huge.

How do you get the 1v input signal? I have a cable running from the receivers Front L pre-out to the amps input on the channel. the speaker is 8 ohms (4 min)

Yes it was pulled from the system at my Mom's house, she is losing it so I took all the stereo stuff. Full rack of stuff like this running crestron system, lcd touch panels and 4 rooms of speakers. Couldn't let it go to waste right?

Should I just skip the amp and let the receiver power the speakers? I'll be using a 5.1 setup in my man cave.

Again thanks for the help, I'm trying to learn.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by jasnall

How do you get the 1v input signal? I have a cable running from the receivers Front L pre-out to the amps input on the channel. the speaker is 8 ohms (4 min)
You need a pre-amp the puts out 1v to get a 1v input signal. Page 31 of http://nadelectronics.com/img/manual/NAD-T773_GB.pdf shows that the receiver has a 400mv pre-amp section. That's half the power that is required to push the amp to full power. Then you have an 8 ohm speaker and the amp is rated at 6 ohms. That will limit the amp's output as well.

Looking at the receiver's amp specs, it is awsome. You don't need that 12 channel amp for a home theater. You can use it to the receiver's 2nd zone output if you want power speakers in another room.

jasnall

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
OK thanks, kinda figured the amp may be overkill for my simpler setup. I know in it's previous setup it did not get its input from this reciever, I wonder what was feeding it. One of the crestron pieces I suppose. I sent you a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks