What's new
World Wide Stereo

VMPS Sub Woofers (1 Viewer)

728x90

mike from nyc

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Landskroner
Get a sub with a built in amp as it simplifies installation. Also buy a sub from a well known manufacturer as it will have better resale in case you want to upgrade.

BTW, I never heard of them and I read a lot of internet stories.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see VMPS rarely mentioned on the different forums I frequent because there is nothing special about them.

What is your budget? Is your 600sf room sealed or open to the rest of the house? How loud do you want to listen to your music/movies? Be realistic also. A $100 budget won't get you 130db peaks during action movies.

Our usual recommendations - SVS, Hsu, Elemental Designs, Epik Subwoofers and my favorite - DIY.

-Robert

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I used the VMPS Larger Sub for a few years and was very pleased with its performance. VMPS speakers are known for their excellent bass. I've since upgraded to an IB sub, which no commercial sub at any price can come close to matching.

Dave Duncan

Auditioning
I have owned a VMPS Original Sub for about four years. It is a 1991 model with an updated 12-inch Mega Woofer. I am using a Rotel power amp bridged to 300 watts to drive it. I have owned a ton of subs and I find it to be the most musical sub I have ever encountered. It blends in beautifully with my Paradigm monitor series speakers. However, I have had some problems with subwoofer distortion in movies with a lot of deep bass (such as War of the Worlds) played fairly loudly. I have been told this is caused by a design flaw in the passive radiator that causes the cone to bottom out against the back of the steel frame. When I get around to it I will order a new passive radiator from VMPS, because I believe the new units have been redesigned so that they won't bottom out. Anyone who has heard my sub play music has been very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks