Why no VMPS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John A. Casler, Dec 15, 2001.

1. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

In all the value and MONSTER sub discourse, I seldom see any reference to the price/value/performance of the VMPS Larger Sub.

Is it because it is not "powered" or because some don't think it lives up to claims? or maybe because it is the size of a small refrigerator?

How many subs will put out 115dB/1m SPL at 20Hz with 2.5% THD for $700 shipped? (remember the distortion number)

See below;

The New Larger Subwoofer

Frequency Response: +0, -3dB, 17Hz to 250 Hz

THD: 0.5% 20Hz to 250 Hz with 1W drive

Sensitivity: 92 dB/1W/1m

Maximum undistorted output: at least 115dB/1m SPL at 20Hz for 2.5% THD

Drive Complement: 12" polycone active (or 12" WCF active), 15" polycone active.

15" mass-loaded passive

Recommended crossover range: 60Hz to 250Hz

Impedance: 4 Ohms (both woofers strapped together; otherwise two 8 Ohm inputs)

Power Requirements: 20W to 350W rms (500W rms with Megawoofer)

Dimensions: 23 x 32x 19" (HxWxD)

Shipping Weight: 140 lbs.; 1" MDF construction

Finishes: genuine oak veneer, light or dark, black cloth grill; satin black over oak or

piano black over oak on special order

Internal Wiring: 12 gauge Monster Cable

Power Handling 350W, Impedance 4 Ohms (8 Ohms on special order)

KIT w/cabinet $579ea

KIT w/o cabinet $329ea

Assembled $699ea

Shipping in USA (48 states) FREE

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have one of these puppys and it is awesome. I run it with a bridged Bryston (400 watts @ 4 ohms)in the front right corner of my listneing area and a HSU VTF-2 in the rear left and 180 degrees out of phase. (for Push-Pull)

Hard to imagine much better than this, but the point is Why no VMPSers?

John Casler

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

the specs are impressive, but you need to know how they are measured for them to be meaningful in the least.

Brian and I got into it pretty heavy a while back...and there were specific inquires made on how those specs are generated...but (afaik)...no answers were ever offered from vmps.

TV

3. John A. Casler

Hi Tom,

Did you question the distortion, Decibel, Hz, or "all" the numbers for VMPS? Have you ever tested or listened "critcally" to the LARGER?

If so, what was your impression?

And have you ever tried the "push=pull" sub in front and rear "phased" properly, or do you have any advice or misgivings about it?

Thanks

John Casler

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Here's the thread Tom mentioned, which I started on AudioAsylum. Yeah, things got a little heated....
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/33338.html
    The VMPS subs do look like solid products, and the company in general has a good reputation. It would just be nice to see an apples to apples comparison with SVS, Adire, Hsu, etc.

5. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Hi Tom,

Did you question the distortion, Decibel, Hz, or "all" the numbers for VMPS?> Have you ever tested or listened "critcally" to the LARGER? If so, what was your impression?

6. John A. Casler

What I meant by Push-Pull was putting one sub in the front and another in the back of the listening area and phasing them so that as the front is pushing the rear is pulling and vice versa.

Supposedly this causes greater air movement "if" it is set up well.

I have mine set that way, and it seems to be superior to any other placement I have tried.

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't talking about a single "push-pull" sub like an M&K.

I have been told that setting up this way causes each sub to accentuate or complement the others air movement/coupling.

When I put both subs in the same spot I seem to get directionality.

Thanks for the input.

John Casler

7. Tom Vodhanel

Oh ok,

I usually recommend putting multiple woofs in the same corner of the room(preferably a corner near the key seats). This tends to maximize headroom. With dual vmps units though...headroom probably isn't a big concern.

TV

8. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

After reading through that thread and the way that the VMPMS guy responded to TV, I wouldn't take a VMPS sub if the guy paid me to take it. My unsophisticated HT ears will be content with SVS.

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I agree Stacy!

And not just Brian but there were some of his "sheeps",as well.

Many of their statements,and "questions" were reflecting ignorance with arrogance,not the best combination if you ask me.

10. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I was horrified by Brian's bellicosity at the time of that thread too, but I've come to understand where he is comming from. He is a passionate, opinionated guy- a New Yorker I think. He shoots first and asks questions later. He once picked a fight with nOrh and ended up sort of apologising which I think showed courage and class. Although I've never seen or heard his stuff, I'm sure its top notch and good value. I base this on the collective opions posted by his customers which are at or close to 100% strong positive.