What's new

Vintage speakers for HT (1 Viewer)

Ray Kammer

Agent
My HT setup is centered around my new Onkyo TX-DS595. I've decided to use vintage speakers to begin with and would be interested in how some of you feel about vintage speakers compared to modern ones. My speaker setup consists of a pair of Wharfedale W35s in front. These are walnut bookshelf types which are 3 ways with an 8" woofer. The rear surrounds are Pioneer CS66e which are also 3 ways with 8" woofers but are just a bit larger than the Wharfedales. The center channel is a modern Infinity with dual 5" speakers plus a tweeter and I'm using a Sony SAW-M40 Sub Woofer. So far I've been really pleased with the sound on both music and DVD movies but don't have much to compare to in the way of modern speakers. I can really crank it up with movies like The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, Jurrasic Park, etc.and the moving sound seems very similiar from front to back. I just would like to hear from some of you who have opinions on these old speakers for Home Theater. Thanks for any feedback,

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Hey Ray, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? :D
If you're getting all the volume you want, then the only other issue, really, is timbre matching. Do you ever notice pans across the front to sound different as they go through the center speaker? You might notice an improvement if you had a matched front sound field, but depending on how it is now, that improvement may not be worthwhile to you.
If you do decide to upgrade, the first thing I would suggest doing is matching the front three speakers. The front to back timbre matching is less critical.
Sounds like you got a nice start there! Hey, cool, you're in Orlando too!

Hello Floridians, from the other side of our Nation.

I'd have to agree with Richard. If it sounds good to you, and you're getting the volume you desire without distortion or listening fatigue, then why spend more money.

However, if your looking for deeper bass, a more dynamic/punchy sound, greater clarity, better timbral accuracy, etc., etc. - then the Holy Grail is out there.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Ray---Though I'm not familiar with your Wharfdales I'm of the opinion that many vintage loudspeakers are better than almost any home loudspeakers made today. I'm talking about vintage Altec, JBL, Jensen, Electro-Voice, Stephens, Tannoy and RCA horn systems. The only modern speakers that can match them are modern horn systems such as Edgars, Tannoys, CARs, Sirra-Brooks, TAD, Westlake and JBL Pro. Many are of the opinion that vintage speakers have more "life" and convey the meaning and emotion of the program better than today's speakers, thus the wave of people combining vintage speakers with low-power SET tube amps. Wharfdales were very well made and the old Wharfdales I've heard were pretty good speakers, I wouldn't worry that they're not "modern", they're probably built with better quality parts than the majority of speakers today. And if you dig the sound that's what really matters.

Hi, I'm running a pair of 17 year old main speakers, and a 5 year old set of speakers for the center, surrounds and sub.

My pre-amp for 2 channel is a mid 1980's NAD unit.

And I'm using a 8 year old Denon POA-2800 Power amp. (200 W x 2 into 8 ohms in a dual mono config.) Much beefier than today's denon 5800 (120 w thx unit).

I enjoy the heck out of my system, and it has "Blown Away" many who stop by to check it out.

I really think that some amazing finds can be found in vintage gear.

Enjoy.

by the way my speakers are Klipsch La Scala Mains, and Klipsch THX home cinema center, surrounds and sub.

Lyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks