What's new
World Wide Stereo

Vintage speaker recommedations (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I just found a test report for some old classic KLH Model Six speakers. A tweeter with a rubber suspension, hmmm.......

And shots of Advent's funky 10" woofer that used a 12" frame (to allow long cone excursions). Henry Kloss wasn't a conventional speaker designer that's for sure. :emoji_thumbsup:

LJ

728x90

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
And these are photos of the "New Advents" that they sold as those anniversary speakers I spoke about above (except the anniversary editions used a mylar parabolic dome tweeter).

LJ

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the links Lance. That pic of the advents look exactly like the "smaller" advents I have sitting by me right now. I am going to have to make some spacers to get the Dayton 8s to fit in those openings. I am hoping that the tweeters are still good.

Not too many of those KLHs are out there. On the other hand, there are PLENTY of those old ARs on ebay so I am leaning towards a set of those. Those old cabinets are so heavy and solid. I think some Peerless or Dayton drivers and crossovers in those would give me exactly the sound I am looking for.

I got the old Pioneer 650 that I bought off ebay for 35 bux last friday! I hooked it up with my old Pioneer turntable and my crummy 1998 model Advent (Really Jensen) crap speakers. As soon as that sweet sound hit my ears I knew I was right in pursuing this latest quest. The biggest thing I noticed was the sweetness and richness of the highs. That warm un-compressed sound that I have been missing for all these years. I listened to my old records for hours and I was astounded how much better everything sounded. Even with all the scratches and the woofers breathing with the warps in the records the quality of the sound and the music from 25 years ago blew me away all over again. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven! I am happy to know that for just a few hundred dollars and some time and effort I will be able to get back to the sound that I have missed for so long. -Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks