What's new

Vibration/boomy bass and assorted uses for old mouse pads (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I've been trying to remedy the cause of some boominess in my system which I don't think is the fault of my equipment.
I happened upon an article the other day which was discussing the subject of vibrations and decided to pursue that a little. My listening room is a second story spare bedroom above a garage. I have fairly heavy floor standing speakers and wooden equipment racks. My main thought was the speakers being on a second story floor on what is probably a surface very susceptible to vibrations. I have been considering buying some cement blocks to place them on with some dampening type material attached, but in the meantime I had a bunch of those thick mouse pads lying around and decided to experiment with placing them under some of my components. I had enough to place them under my CD player and my 2 external amps I use for the fronts.
This seems to have made a tremendous difference so far....much less boominess. I'm hoping the blocks for the speakers will help even further. I know this isn't anything new but thought I'd mention it for any novices out there like me who may be experiencing something similar, and for you experts out there to comment on concerning possible other negative side effects this might create.
Thanks!

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'm curious how placing a mat under a source component like a CD player would affect the sound at all, or an amp for that matter. I could understand maybe vibration dampening for the CD player, but I wouldn't think it could affect frequency response.

DJ

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I agree with David.

Your problem is more than likely due to the construction of the room, and/or interference effects with your speakers and the room.

A few things that might help are:

o Carpetting helps
o Make sure your speakers are placed 2-3 ft from all walls
o If you have a sub, it should probably be in one of the corners to start, although 1/2 way along the longest wall might work too.

I actually do use rubbers stoppers below some of my equipment. (Much cheaper than those vibrapod things.) But, I don't do it for any effect on sound quality, I use them simply to increase the distance betweeen stacked components for increased air flow.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Your problem is more than likely due to the construction of the room, and/or interference effects with your speakers and the room.
Exactly!.....that's what said .....I think :confused:....

Anyway they actually sell 'scientifically designed' platforms for this exact purpose that sell for big bucks. I've read of people using rubber 'hockey puck' type thingamajiggers and super balls and stuff like that to help dampen vibration.
The mouse pads 'seemed' to help unless I just had my head up my ass last night, hence the lowered 'boominess' effect! Very possible! :D

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Yes it will dampen the vibration,but the claim they put on what it does to the sound is anything but scientific.
Not gonna argue there too much....sheesh! I read this one review on contact cleaner in which the reviewer described sonic improvements each step of the way! I guess if yer connnectors has ever been dipped in shit it might make sonic improvements! :D

Also....appreciate your last 'non-comment' regarding the vicinity in which my head was last seen! :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh...and BTW I have played with speaker positioning as much as possible. Unfortunately not much room to work with. It definitely helps to have them optimumly positioned for your room I have found.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
So do I take it nobody believes my mousepad findings? :frowning:

Ya know....a coupla months ago I had an amp I was using to control my 2 fronts with that was sitting on top of a nice, solid wooden cabinet. I decided to put an old bathroom rug under it so it wouldn't scratch (one of those rugs with rubber bottom). The amp happened to be playing and I was amazed at the immediate improvement in bass boominess.
So there! :>P

David Judah

Screenwriter
So do I take it nobody believes my mousepad findings?
If you beleive, that's all that matters. :)

Could it be the sub contributing to the problem(fairly common)? You could try an equalizer in addition to the things Kevin mentioned--something like a Behringer Feedback destroyer. It's cheap and effective.

DJ

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Actually this is quiet new for us in the real world[not the land of audiophilia],since sound is acoustic in nature,it's logical to treat the components that responsible to produce this acoustic energy[sound] in the first place.
There is nothing acoustic about solid state electronics. Exactly what electrical principle says that if you beat on the cover of a solid state amp with a set of drumsticks in one soundproof room, that is wired up to a set of speakers in an adjacent soundproof room, you will alter the sound?

By the way, this thread belongs in the tweaks section.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Exactly what electrical principle says that if you beat on the cover of a solid state amp with a set of drumsticks in one soundproof room, that is wired up to a set of speakers in an adjacent soundproof room, you will alter the sound?
I believe that's called the Buddy Rich principle but I'm relying on memory here so someone feel free to correct me.
:P

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Did I say that?
No....I believe you said, "since sound is acoustic in nature".
I think we attributed the quote "There is nothing acoustic about solid state electronics" to Buddy Rich (the famous drummer) who did tests with solid state elctronics using drumsticks to try and simulate acoustical vibrations. :D

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
In broken English, you said...
since sound is acoustic in nature,it's logical to treat the components that responsible to produce this acoustic energy[sound] in the first place.
What "treatment" do you recommend? And to what components? The only components that can respond to pysical "treatments" are record players and speakers. And these are the only components that actually can create "acoustic energy" (other than the sounds of relays of electric motors in solid state gear, but who would call those noises music?). CD players and amps don't create acoustic energy. They transmit electrical signals. A mouse pad or bathroom carpet ain't gonna alter that electrical signal.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'll bet though, that you've got some nulls and substantial peaks in that room that could be tamed and that'd greatly improve your overall experience. OTOH, there's always AudioAsylum, where any experience is accepted. There's also a lot of good information over there too, but it's really difficult to walk through a cow pasture with white sneakers and have them come out white when you leave.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll say it: I don't believe you get any benefit from the mouse pads at all. The Placebo effect. :) But if you think there's an improvement, then keep them. They don't cost you much at least...

RobWil

Supporting Actor
but it's really difficult to walk through a cow pasture with white sneakers and have them come out white when you leave.
I guess that's assuming that we live in a world where white sneakers are the optimal type of sneaker! When we all die and go to heaven maybe we'll find that shit-stained sneakers are the most highly considered! ;)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Oh Ye of little faith, Enter my Kingdom, regardless of thy sneaker condition, and I shall make Ye whole again! Ye bass shall not be boomy within the confines of heaven! (due to extensive use of old mousepads for their dampening properties, no doubt!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks