What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_01.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_02.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_03.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_04.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_05.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_06.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_07.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_08.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_09.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_10.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_11.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_12.jpg
August New Releases - Via Vision Entertainment_Page_13.jpg

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Well, "The Bounty" seems to be very similar to the Kino and Twilight Time releases. Very disappointing!!!

ONLY FOR FANS OF THE FILM (like myself).

No way could this have been a new 4K scan of the original camera negative. There's just no way!

So many white specks and damage throughout. Just awful looking!!!!!!!!

Flat colors, very pale overall look!!!!!!!!!

Well, I stopped watching after twenty minutes. So disappointing.

I saw more damage and white specks than on the Kino/Twilight Time discs.

This might be off of the OCN because at various times either the right or left side of the frame was blurry and out-of-focus. Something I don't recall from the earlier releases. Perhaps, they should've tried the interpositive like "The Long Goodbye."

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Well, "The Bounty" seems to be very similar to the Kino and Twilight Time releases. Very disappointing!!!

ONLY FOR FANS OF THE FILM (like myself).

No way could this have been a new 4K scan of the original camera negative. There's just no way!

So many white specks and damage throughout. Just awful looking!!!!!!!!

Flat colors, very pale overall look!!!!!!!!!
for Imprint, anything that predates a Laserdisc master , equates to the Original Camera Negative

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is the Bobby Darrin mentioned on the cover of the Ironside set the Bobby Darin who had big hits with Dream Lover and Mack The Knife and then went on to become a movie actor?
According to IMDB, Bobby Darin (one 'r' - the singer) did appear in a 1971 episode.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Standard edition of the Yimou-Li collaboration is coming!

Great news, because I missed the first one.
Has anyone got it? Would he recommend the set?
I understand some films haven't got a very good image quality?
I wonder if I should wait again for any US/UK release.

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
Standard edition of the Yimou-Li collaboration is coming!

Great news, because I missed the first one.
Has anyone got it? Would he recommend the set?
I understand some films haven't got a very good image quality?
I wonder if I should wait again for any US/UK release.

Virtually the same, Criterion seems to be a little sharper, but doesn't have as many special features.
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=17602&d2=15913&c=6045

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I haven't done a review in a while, but I didn't stop because one person didn't like my reviews. here is another!

THE LONG VOYAGE HOME (Blu Ray Review)

1h 45m
Dir: John Ford

THE PRODUCTION 4/5

When all studios had turned him down, director John Ford teamed with producer Walter Wanger, for his next film - a western. After the success this film, Stagecoach, one of the greatest westerns of all time, Ford looked for his next project. He found it in four one-act plays by his friend, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Eugene O'Neill.

Screenwriter Dudley Nichols adapted the four plays - The Moon of the Caribees, In the Zone, Bound East for Cardiff, and The Long Voyage Home - into one coherent 1h 45m screenplay. O'Neill was delighted with the final outcome. “It’s a grand picture,” declared O’Neill. “I like very few pictures, and Ford is one of the best directors in the game.” He also called it his favorite film, keeping a print for himself, and routinely showing it off to friends and family. He loved the film so much that he eventually wore out this print.

In The Long Voyage Home, the title taken from O'Neill's fourth play, the British tramp steamer SS Glencairn travels the high seas from port to port during the early days of WW2 with motley crew of sailors. Among these sailors are middle-aged Irishman Driscoll, the consensus leader of the group (Thomas Mitchell, who had just won a supporting actor Oscar under Ford in Stagecoach); Ward Bond as Yank, an American; Smitty, a brooding Englishman with a secret; Axel (John Qualen), a Swede and the token comic relief, and John Wayne, in the miss-cast role of Ole Olson, another Swede who is on his final voyage and heading home to Sweden.

At a stop in the west-Indies, the crew are denied shore-leave, but smuggle aboard several "local lovlies" who bring fruit (and hiden rum!). As one might expect, the tired crew anxiously await the drinks, and before long they are quickly consumed. The crew quickly becomes unruly, and the ladies are swiftly kicked off the ship by the captain.

On route to their next stop, Cardiff, one of the crew takes ill and eventually passes away, to much great sorrow from his friends. But things only get worse as the neutral ship Glencairn is attackedfrom the sky by the enemy, and another of the crew is mortally wounded.

Finally arriving in port, Ole (John Wayne) declares he is going home. His comrades agree to make sure he makes his ship to Stokholm. Ticket in hand, two-years pay pinned to his coat, all Ole wants is to see his mother again. But before he can make it to the ship bound for Sweden, he is abducted and taken aboard another ship. His valiant friends, though drunk, fight desperatley to save him.

The Long Voyage Home is not one of John Ford's better known films; sandwhiched inbetween and overshaddowed by Stagecoach and How Green was my Valley. Voyage, though, is a decent film that earned 7 Academy Award nominations including Best Picture (although none for director). It does have it's faults, however. It is slow in points, and John Wayne is horribly misscast, even though Wayne himself felt it was his best work.

The beautiful cinematography by Greg Tolland makes the ship scenes feel cramped, and the shore scenes feel like film noir. Scenes are uniquely lit, with minimal lighting, showing off shdows and facial features of the hard-worn sailors.

The screenplay deserves credit, too. Taking the four plays and turning them into one feature-length story is no easy task. And since he got the approoval of the playwright, Dudley Nichols must have wrote something right. There are very few of O'Neill's own words in the script; a passage of 50 words condensed into a mere half dozen that are still no less powerful. It's a hard thing to accomplish, but Nichols hits the bullseye with each line.

The actors are a who's who of John Ford staples: Ward Bond, Thomas Mitchell, John Wayne, John Qualen. It isn't "A list" stars who populate this picture. Sure, Mitchell won an Oscar and Barry Fitzgerald would win won in a few years, and yes it is John Wayne, but he wasn't as big a star just yet. It's a group of character actors who give moving, convincing performances. You'd be hard pressed to believe they aren't real sailors. John Wayne is top billed, but surprisingly isn't the main character for much of the story.

VIDEO 4.25/5

Imprint has stated that this "1080P HD transfer" is from a 2016 UCLA restoration. The transfer is free of detritus, specks, white spots, reel cues, scratches and splices, etc. Imprint would have said if this transfer is from a 2k or 4k scan, so it most likely isn't. But what I can say is that while the picture is sharp to a point (no pun intended), details seem flat. Clothing textures, rope, faces... most things look smooth; not rough.

Some scenes seem to lack a greyscale, looking like an old early 30's picture in only black/white. but when there is greyscale, it looks very good. when there is a lot of black on the screen, the picture tends to look somewhat dark, like all the black melts together. I found it a tad hard to watch at times.

However, I don't think this film has looked better on home video.

AUDIO 3/5
The transfer comes with a 2.0 mono soundtrack, typical for films of this era. From the opening note of the main menu, is it evidently clear as a bell that there is an underlying, constant hiss. This hiss is noticeable through most of the picture, and can be distracting. In a few parts the hiss seems to vanish, but it does come back. HOWEVER, the dialogue is crisp and clear, and I never had to fight to understand what was said.

BONUS FEATURES 3/5

There are four bonus features present on this disc:

- AUDIO COMMENTARY (Film Historians Alain Silver and Jim Ursini)

- University of Warwick film professor Jose Arroyo on The Long Voyage Home (26:22) - John Arroyo talks about the film.

-Cambridge University professor Jean Chothia On Eugene O'Neill and The Long Voyage Home (28:13) - This interview talks about O'Neill and his play/the film.

- Video essay (16:41) - Tag Gallagher, author of John Ford: The Man and His Films, talks about the poetry of the film, john Ford's directorial techniques, symbolism, and John Ford's crew.

OVERALL 4/5
This is a region free release from Australia. For release of this Oscar nominee on Blu Ray, this is a decent disc. The video quality is solid (and could be better), but spotless. The audio is good, and understandable, but hissy. The bonus features were informative, but somewhat lacking. There was no trailer. For John Ford completists or fans of Duke Wayne, you won't be dissappointed.

Recommended.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
If you’re going to present your own reviews, you might consider writing the disc format’s name correctly.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I watched the Imprint release of Damage (1992) tonight and it looked pretty good to these old eyes. I must say I found the "erotic" sex scenes between Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche more unintentionally laughable than erotic. Thanks heaves for the fast forward button.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I watched the Imprint release of Damage (1992) tonight and it looked pretty good to these old eyes. I must say I found the "erotic" sex scenes between Jeremy Irons and Juliette Binoche more unintentionally laughable than erotic. Thanks heaves for the fast forward button.
Yup. Good book, lousy movie.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
image002.jpg

The next four Carry On Films come to Blu-ray in one Limited Edition Box, with an exclusive 112 page booklet featuring reproductions of the original pressbooks for the first twelve films.

Includes the worldwide Blu-ray premiere for Carry On Spying!

Special Features:

• Carry on Spying Audio Commentary by Bernard Cribbins and Dilys Laye
  • Carry on Cleo Audio Commentary by Amanda Barrie and Julie Stevens
  • Carry on Cowboy Audio Commentary by Angela Douglas
  • Carry on Screaming Audio Commentary by Angela Douglas and Fenella Fielding
  • Carry on Spying Textless Titles
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Photo Galleries

Available for pre-order NOW at viavision.com.au

moviepas

Supporting Actor
View attachment 194992

The next four Carry On Films come to Blu-ray in one Limited Edition Box, with an exclusive 112 page booklet featuring reproductions of the original pressbooks for the first twelve films.

Includes the worldwide Blu-ray premiere for Carry On Spying!

Special Features:

• Carry on Spying Audio Commentary by Bernard Cribbins and Dilys Laye
  • Carry on Cleo Audio Commentary by Amanda Barrie and Julie Stevens
  • Carry on Cowboy Audio Commentary by Angela Douglas
  • Carry on Screaming Audio Commentary by Angela Douglas and Fenella Fielding
  • Carry on Spying Textless Titles
  • Theatrical Trailers
  • Photo Galleries

Available for pre-order NOW at viavision.com.au

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks