1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Excellent news that Paramount is opening up its vaults! But is it exclusive to Australia (where the company is based) or will these titles be readily available in R1? With the (unofficial) demise of Twilight Time, it looks like Imprint will pick up the slack. No word on an MSRP yet. Hopefully other requested Paramount titles will follow: Murder On The Orient Express, Ordinary People, The Court Jester etc.

3. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, nice to read a bit of good news in this tired old world.

Peter Keller, MatthewA and Darby67 like this.
  4. willyTass

willyTass Supporting Actor

As an Aussie This is good news

I have a few via vision titles

hope they aim for the fences with their encoding this time

MatthewA and Darby67 like this.
  5. Bernard McNair

Bernard McNair Second Unit

Bernard McNair
    Very excited for this new line. Waterloo and The Duellists from this first batch for me.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    An impressive debut for the line with a little something for everyone. I hope they will be available here without too much bother.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  7. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    Received an email from someone named Grant Taylor at ViaVision who has assured me all imprint titles will play in 'Canadian' Blu-ray players. I'm from Canada, so I have no doubt if they play here, they'll play on U.S. blu-ray players too. One thing everyone should be made aware of. If you pre-order these titles from ViaVision your credit card will be charged immediately, even though the titles do not ship until May. However, if you want these with their collective slipcovers, then I suppose its' time to suck it up and pony up for these great Paramount releases. Finally, ViaVision is offering a bundle pack, to include all 5 titles for a minor discount price. It's definitely the way to go if you're planning on collecting all of these eventually. Save a few bucks. One other word of caution - shipping rates to the US are $20 but to Canada, $60!!! Judge and buy accordingly.

One other thing to consider. Having bought a considerable amount of ViaVision stuff on both DVD and Blu-ray in the past, I can vouch for the fact that their region encode - at least on all those titles - was region free. And let's not forget that when Paramount has made titles like Zulu and The Italian Job available in the U.K. these too were region free offerings. So, I cannot see them pulling the chicken switch on these with a region lock. But again, we'll have to wait and see. Blu-ray.com presently has them listed as region B only releases. Personally, I'm more willing to take the word of someone who contacted me directly from the company than an autonomous third-party website. But again, wait and see.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    As Nick noted, they charge your credit card immediately upon placing your order even if those titles are shipping out until late May.

Peter Keller and Darby67 like this.
  9. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Ill wait. 35.00 a pop, as much as I love the films, that's a bit steep, plus Shout Factory has a deal with Paramount so they actually might have the same films. I feel it is entirely possible! :)

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think some if not all of these titles will be released in the States before this year is done.

Peter Keller, Darby67 and TheSteig like this.
  11. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    Not trying to drum up business for Via Vision, but just so members make an informed choice about any purchase from Down Under, please take the exchange rate into consideration.

Right now, AUD$35 equals US$23.02, and shipping charges of AUD$20 equal US$13.15 (calculations at xe.com).

12. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    I'd recommend getting Australian discs from JB Hi-Fi - they're shipping rates are much more reasonable.

Peter Keller, Darby67, Robin9 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I want to be very careful saying this...

I have heard some "rumblings" about decisions being made about Paramount catalog product this Summer.

Some titles *could* make their way to Blu but I am guessing more digital.

Again, take this with caution. I got it from a good source but nothing has been decided yet.

14. commander richardson

commander richardson Second Unit

martyn
    I am sure you are correct and have you noticed only 1 of the 5 has any mention of English sub-titles which are important for many people. Via Vision have a bad record of including sub-titles on BD releases.

Peter Keller and Darby67 like this.
  15. Message #15 of 49 Feb 27, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

I just tried a Bundle of 5 to US and I'm getting $45 estimated which is the same shipping cost I'm seeing using my Inlaw's New Brunswick address/Post Code. (Single item $20 shipping to US or Canada)

I'm not sure is shipping charges are in flux on the website or if I'm looking at a different location or I'm misunderstanding something (I haven't gone past the estimate screen either).

I saw a German complain about $60 shipping, but when I try a UK or German Postal Code I'm also seeing $45AUD shipping for a Bundle

Peter Keller, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  16. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Has anyone seen Waterloo? Did like War and Peace so how is this one by the same director?

Darby67 likes this.
  17. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Wonderful.

Darby67 likes this.
  18. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    If you liked War and Peace, you'll probably like Waterloo. It's a little less arty and a little more "big, historical epic," but it's a good film.

19. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, I have the German Blu-ray and prior to that had the Russian DVD. I'm a fan of Waterloo which is basically a film in two halves. The first half covering Napoleon's fall and first exile, his return and the build-up to the battle of Waterloo. The second half is an absolutely glorious recreation of the battle of Waterloo. Shot with hundreds of extras on location in such a way we will never see again. It does a fantastic job of showing us the battle, the tactics, and how Napoleon and his army first won and then lost the battle. If you have any interest in this period of history or Napoleon and this battle...it is a must own.

I think Steiger makes an excellent Napoleon and the cast is mostly wonderful. The film flopped when it was released with tastes at the time having moved away from these historical epics. It's failure frightened the money people on Kubrick's Napoleon film causing them to pull out and leaving Kubrick highly paranoid about future projects with concerns that if somebody beat him to the cinema with a picture based on a similar topic it could wipe out his project. He would later drop work on his Holocaust film because Spielberg beat him to the punch with Schindler's List.

20. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    The Smithsonian Channel has a great documentary "Napoleon's Waterloo" which went into detail why he lost the battle and it was shown on tv recently. Like history and epic films like War and Peace & Abel Gance's Napoleon so I might buy this new release.