What's new

International Via Vision Entertainment announces new premium Blu-ray label IMPRINT (5 Viewers)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I think some if not all of these titles will be released in the States before this year is done.

Agreed. Also, while the idea of Shout releasing some of these films seems plausible, I have a feeling Criterion might get Waterloo through their deal with Mosfilm (who provided the restoration being used for this film, if I’m not mistaken).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I want to be very careful saying this...

I have heard some "rumblings" about decisions being made about Paramount catalog product this Summer.

Some titles *could* make their way to Blu but I am guessing more digital.

Again, take this with caution. I got it from a good source but nothing has been decided yet.
I know that being careful means you have to be vague. But I’m not sure whether, as a disc-only person, I should be hopeful or disappointed by your post

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know that being careful means you have to be vague. But I’m not sure whether, as a disc-only person, I should be hopeful or disappointed by your post

I am only being vague because the story has not been finished yet.

In fact, I am telling you everything I have heard.

The studio is allegedly going to be making some definitive decisions about their catalog titles this Summer.

That could mean Blu-ray releases. It could also mean direct-to-digital in HD and 4k. It could also mean things stay as they are, though I have to say, Paramount has been a bit generous to the digital realm lately and I expect that trend to continue.

I guess I am saying, if it were me and I was going to pay a very high price for these titles, perhaps wait it out to see if these titles get a domestic release -- especially if work has been done on the masters.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I am in the “wait and see” Category. If Paramount will Release titles to disc in region 1, I’ll be very happy. But, if I can only get them from Oz, so be it. I’ll have to pay.

but these five titles aren’t ones I’m waiting for, but I’m very happy a new label is releasing!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am in the “wait and see” Category. If Paramount will Release titles to disc in region 1, I’ll be very happy. But, if I can only get them from Oz, so be it. I’ll have to pay.

but these five titles aren’t ones I’m waiting for, but I’m very happy a new label is releasing!

Yes, that's where I'm at. More sets of announcements to look forward to. :)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Not related to ViaVision/Imprint, but another Paramount item seemingly coming out of AUS first and I know has been long requested on these forums.

Ezydvd who often puts AUS preorders up pretty early (and accurately) now has a listing for Ordinary People (1980) Blu-ray May 6 from Shock Records and decidedly cheap at $13AUD
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/Ordinary-People/dp/6221638

Shock Records is a line very similar to Shout/Kino and has a pretty well regarded Cinema Cult line with quite a few Hammer, Vincent Price, Horror titles, but also a pretty nice selection of mainline, non Horror US releases.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I am only being vague because the story has not been finished yet.

In fact, I am telling you everything I have heard.

The studio is allegedly going to be making some definitive decisions about their catalog titles this Summer.

That could mean Blu-ray releases. It could also mean direct-to-digital in HD and 4k. It could also mean things stay as they are, though I have to say, Paramount has been a bit generous to the digital realm lately and I expect that trend to continue.
Paramount has recently released The Molly Maguires on Blu-ray disc, by themselves and not through a boutique label.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I was just pointing out that it was a BD-R, that's all. I don't have any BD-Rs, so I don't know how good they are or how long they last. I just know that if I had a choice between a pressed disc & a BD-R, I'd choose pressed, I don't quite know why.

So Robert, please tell us...are you happy with the ITunes? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yup, I was just pointing out that it was a BD-R, that's all, no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist. I don't have any BD-Rs, so I don't know how good they are or how long they last. I just know that if I had a choice between a pressed disc & a BD-R, I'd choose pressed, I don't quite know why.
Why would my knickers be in a twist, when I noted I wouldn't be buying this BD-R release? I honestly wanted to know if there are problems with BD-R that I didn't know about.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Why would my knickers be in a twist, when I noted I wouldn't be buying this BD-R release? I honestly wanted to know if there are problems with BD-R that I didn't know about.

They wouldn't be, which is why I deleted that sentence 30 seconds after posting it, you were too quick for me. Move on, nothing to see here.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I honestly wanted to know if there are problems with BD-R that I didn't know about.

The general arguments -- some certainly true, others at best speculation under real world conditions.

Again -- I have zero BD-R and no direct experience, but have followed the arguments over the last several years starting since the Sony Choice line. Before that, the only BDR discussion I heard about were with virtually unheard of genre movies from tiny studios and distributors (Film Detective was one of the most common distributor),

1) some players aren't compatible and other players seem to glitch more playing them -- seems to be true and hard to argue

2) more prone to damage than pressed disc with the full antiscratch protection -- I'm not sure of the merit

3) more prone to failure to play even when brand new. Several people have even complained of getting blank discs that either failed to burn or were placed in the container before burning -- definitely seems to be more issues

4) less reliable over time -- seems to be the biggest and most contentious argument though there are only various 'studies' to confirm or refute sicne commercial Burned BD haven't really been around long enough to get a sampling. There do seem to be several reports of those Sony Choice discs which played fine initially, but after a few months some buyers complaining of failures. Still anecdotal and I'm not sure how many people tried more than one player, checked for scratches, analyzed by various scanner programs like VSO Inspector to see if errors were actually part of teh disc or if it was some sort of disc/player/firmware interaction.

5) There is an argument about various type discs and burning techniques with some more reliable. I haven't heard of any site that specifies which type disc or technique is used on a specific Release or by any specific producer

6) A very common complaint is the relatively high prices charged for most BD-R compared with standard pressed discs or even Pressed MOD and lack of any real sales especially for those who believe any.many of the other arguments -- i.e paying a premium price for a substandard product.

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I want to be very careful saying this...

I have heard some "rumblings" about decisions being made about Paramount catalog product this Summer.

Some titles *could* make their way to Blu but I am guessing more digital.

Again, take this with caution. I got it from a good source but nothing has been decided yet.

At this stage of the game, a non-US disc release is way better than nothing.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have a few of Sony's own Blu-ray discs which are alleged to be BD-Rs, and all of them play perfectly with zero drawbacks. Warner Archive's DVD series is DVD-Rs and the big joke is that they are more consistently reliable and long-lasting than Warner's pressed DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks