What's new

VH1 is getting out of hand with these "Top 50 worst songs..." shows. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just watched yet another episode of VH1's worst songs list, and this network really seems to have a vedetta against the 80's, the era I grew up in and happen to love.

More than half of the songs they chose as being the worst are really great songs from the 80's from bands like Huey Lewis, Peter Cetera and Amy Grant.

It seems almost as though they are holding the simple fact that these songs are from the 80's and have very 80's ideals and theme's, against them. It doesn't help that they have all these very cynical people making wisecracks about them.

Now, they did have a few more moderen songs on the list, but most were from the 80's.

If this is the mind set they have, holding the era a song was released in against it, I want to see some Nelly and Usher on these lists 20 years from now.

To the mods, I really wasn't sure where this thread belonged, because it's about music, but it is a tv show. If you feel it should be elswhere, feel free to move it.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
What's REALLY ironic about this is that these are the very types of videos that VH1 played in its "infancy". They originally were marketing the station as an "adult-contemporary" version of MTV!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
At least that list is sort of about music. Everytime I see what's on, it's "Top 73 Celebrity Marriage Related Misspellings" or some such nonsense.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think that they goof on the songs in a 'loving' way. Yeah, they probably get a little too critical on some of the songs but VH1 is just trying to get a show together. In other words, they don't dislike the songs but they are trying to get the funniest line on the air. Of course you could argue that it's VH1 not Comedy Central.

I think part of the problem is that everyone has funny hair and funny clothes so it makes it easier to make fun of them.

And forget waiting 20 years, I want to see Nelly and (especially) Usher on a 50 Worst Songs lists right now. They earned it:)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
:laugh: I hear you loud and clear, Travis, I can't stand either one of them either. I was just being safe. ;)

About the mentioned funny hair and funny cloths, that's just what they wore back then, it's no worse than hip hop artist today wearing those baggy-ass pants which look freakin hilarious!

Here's what broke the camel's back for me, they picked 'Eye of the Tiger' as the #5 awesomely bad #1 song! Are they insane!? That song is great! They also have a real distaste for Phil Collins, another artist I love.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"They also have a real distaste for Phil Collins, another artist I love. "

I agree, until the mid 90's Phil was the man, Genesis was still pretty big. NOW though all he puts olut is soundtrack music and that gets awfully annoying. Release another Genesis "Genesis" album and I'll be happy!

Weird, but I hated the 90's grunge and hate the current hip hop FADS. SOOOOooo much bad music nowadays, but also some very good stuff.

Brent

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hey, someone's gotta provide work for all those crappy comedians who make the lame wisecracks! :rolleyes

VH1 was so great in the Behind The Music era. . .o, how the mighty have fallen. :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sorry, Anthony, didn't mean to throw you there, the catagory for this particular show was songs that were at one time #1, and now VH1 is ranking them as being awesomely bad.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ah, Viacom. Taking individual characteristics out of channels for as long as I can remember.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob

Ah, the likes of Kathy Griffin and Elayne Boosler commenting on supposedly bad music. Now, if they would do a "50 worst comics of the 80's and 90's"...

More people like those "bad" songs than anything VH1 or MTV has vomited up in the last 15 years.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Now that I'd watch. :) I bet Kathy Griffin would be in every single spot on that chart. ;)

I enjoyed these shows, but they've run out of steam. The jokes aren't even funny. "And the lead singer has big hair". Haha.

/Mike

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I agree these shows are running their course. Its sad to see they concentrate all their ire against songs in the 80s and early 90's. If I remember correctly there were songs made before 1983 :)

Paul

chris_m_white

Stunt Coordinator
VH1 takes a good idea and runs it into the ground. Take Behind The Music for example. The show was great...until they started running out of interesting bands/people. Then they started coming out with Behind the Music: 1968, and that was interesting for a while until they ran out of interesting years.

Then the list shows. I seem to remember this starting with a show that had a moderator and four people discussing a "top 3" of a given topic. This was popular for a while, and then it went away, and turned into the 100 Best or Worst or Most Awesomely Bad, or whatever.

Then I Love the 70s/80s/90s: what started as a great concept also got stale. To me, the first 80s show had that perfect mix of nostalgia, humor, and anecodotes. The 70s didn't interest me as much since I don't remember much about that decade. But after the second 80s show, and the first 90s show it seemed done. I think the psuedo comics tried to be a little too clever and ironic and it felt forced. I think this spawned the Best Week Ever show, which is terrible. It's like they enlisted the D level pseudo comics. I guess Hal Sparks, Michael Ian Black, and Mo Rocca are only available so often.

Anyway, I think VH1 produces lots of "original programming" and once every few years one of the concepts takes off, they run it into the ground until most people are sick of it, and then something else takes its place.

As you can guess, I spend entirely too much time watching and thinking about VH1...

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I actually like "Best Week Ever" a lot. It's pretty funny, but more importantly it gives me a run-down of the week in pop culture and shows me unimportant stuff I would've missed otherwise. :)

/Mike

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member

I remember this. It was pretty funny when they had good guests and guest-hosts (I remember Meatloaf hosting at some point). My favorite episode was when the guests were Spinal Tap in character with Mick Fleetwood as their drummer. Nigel Tufnel's (Christopher Guest) items on his list were all some stock factory footage. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks