Very stupid question about receiver settings...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Vertin, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Andy Vertin

Andy Vertin Extra

I've got a Dish Network receiver hooked up to a DD/DTS receiver via digital optical. What am I doing wrong when DD-encoded material is playing correctly through all 6 of my speakers, but when Dolby Surround or stereo material is being played, it only comes from my left and right speakers, not my center or surrounds. With my old receiver, I remember all vocal material coming thru my center channel, but now with Dolby Surround and regular stereo material, there's nothing from my center speaker. I'm using a JVC HTB now (TH-A5). Any ideas?

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Your receiver may have a problem with flagging Pro-Logic material in the correct format. I know that I have a similar problem with my Rotel 1066 pre-pro. If I send it a Pro-Logic signal, it will read that way in the display (it will even say that all the speakers are being used) but I will only get sound through the front channels. Oddly enough, if I send the signal through analog inputs, I have no such problem at all. (BTW, I'm running an older version of the firmware and this problem could easily be corrected with an update, for those of you who might want to know.)

At any rate, I would also cycle through your DSP modes and see if you can't select a Dolby Surround or Pro-Logic mode. Perhaps if the receiver is specifically told that it should be decoding in Pro-Logic, it will.

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It could be that your DD/DTS receiver is set to Stereo on the digital input. When the DD receiver see's a 2.0 signal it switches to stereo. Look on your display on the face of the Receiver, if it does not say "Prologic" it needs to be switched to PL.
    Make sure your Prologic is in "Normal" also. If it's in Phantom you will not get a center channel!

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

One possible fix is to run both digtal AND analog from your Dish receiver to your HT receiver. Use the digital input when you're watching 5.1 material and the analog input when you're watching pro logic / dolby surround material.

You could run the digital and analog to the same source device category on your receiver and select between analog and digital, or you could run the digital and analog to seperate source device categories (example, digital to "TV" and analog to "AUX" or vice versa) and select the source device category based on what the material is encoded in. Seems like the easiest fix and should work regardless of weather it's a bug in your ht receiver or a bug in your Dish receiver.

Hope this helps.

5. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

6. Rommel_L

Rommel_L Second Unit

Andy,

From your descriptions, it seems that the satellite audio signals only come in either DD5.1 or DD2.0. Even though it says at the program's credits it's in dolby surround, it has that little disclaimer "where available." So if it comes DD2.0 then just manually switch to your favorite Pro-Logic DSP mode.

Cheers,
    -RL-

7. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

One last thought - be sure to check your settings on the sat reciever. The Dish 501 I have allows you to ID how you want the output formatted for optical and may include a more inclusive option for Dolby.

8. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

9. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson

10. Andy Vertin

Andy Vertin Extra

Well, when I put the receiver in pro-logic mode it'll automatically switch to DD when it receives a DD signal, but when I change back to a non-DD channel, it reverts back to stereo mode. So, it seems that I'll have to manually select pro-logic every time. I don't know why it can't just save my last setting.

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Read through your manual there must be a way to save the PL as default for 2.0, HiFi stereo and or PCM! Do you have the same problem with a 2.0 DD DVD?
    Most DVD menus are DD 2.0, does it go to Stereo or PL on them? Some units will only save default setting from remote control commands.

Wes

12. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit