Questions about the HK 235 .

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matthew_Mel, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Matthew_Mel

Matthew_Mel Auditioning

I've decided to finally upgrade my home theatre after 5 years of some very bad Sony items. The receiver that i think i've decided on is the HK 235, from the reviews on here and hearing it at the local Circuit city i'm pretty impressed. But i need a few answers before i take the plunge: Beware some of these questions are probably pretty stupid but i figure i'll ask for peace of mind.

Is the HK 235 powerful enough to run the speaker set up i'm looking at:
    Fronts: paradigm Focus
    Center: paradigm cc270
    Sub: Dayton 12"
    Rears: Old HK speakers avs 10

If this doesn't seem right for me, what receiver fits my speakers for around $300.

I was looking at the onkyo 602 as well but i kinda liked the Hk better.

Or if there is no problem just let me know i'm making a good choice. I just don't want to realize a few months down road that my receiver can't handle my speakers.

thanks for any info that you can give.

2. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

If all your prior experience is with Sony gear, then prepare to be floored, even by the AVR 135. I was considering the 235, but then I stepped up to the AVR 335, which is like a 235 with more power and second zone capability. Just the step up in quality of the amps is enough to justify the upgrade from Sony to H/K. But the HK menu system is a lot easier and more flexible, and I don't think that Sony has any room optimization stuff like the H/K. Just overall a quality piece of gear.

3. TommyWMedford

TommyWMedford Stunt Coordinator

The 235 should be more than enough for your needs. It's a very good receiver, and not just for the money. I used to own the 330, and I currently own the 430, and both are simply amazing.