What's new

Venom (October 5, 2018) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I wish he'd stop screwing around and get started on the second season of Taboo.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
But again, notice the "in association with" wording prior to Marvel's name. They're trying to convince people this is in the MCU when it's not.

I'll wait for the reviews. Being "in the MCU" makes no difference to me. There are plenty of good Marvel films that aren't part of the MCU. I'm just not all that excited about the Venom character to begin with.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We go to most Marvel type films, but my wife hates gore of all kinds. Any chance she will be able to see this? The previews look pretty bad.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Groan. They're also moving forward with a Kraven the Hunter movie. Apparently, Sony has lost its collective mind.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
They've made this mistake before. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was so loaded with setup for a shared universe that they forgot to actually focus on making that movie good, and it wasn't. Here they go again.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sony is trying to build a shared universe around Spider-man, without Spider-man. It's crazy. On top of that, and this is of course just my personal opinion, none of these secondary and tertiary characters are that interesting in the first place. I mean really, if they can't drum up some genuine excitement with a Venom film starring Tom Hardy, what chance do any of these other projects have?

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sony is trying to build a shared universe around Spider-man, without Spider-man. It's crazy.

Well, obviously they want to confuse moviegoers into thinking that this is part of the MCU and that Tom Holland or Robert Downy Jr. may appear in future installments. And then they want to get Marvel to loan them characters, which really WOULD retroactively make it part of the MCU. Which ain't gonna happen. But I bet that's what they're hoping.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I mean really, if they can't drum up the interest with a Venom film starring Tom Hardy, what chance do any of these other projects have?
The article linked above said early tracking shows Venom headed for a decent opening, so there may be more interest than we think.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think it's take is going to come in far below expectations, no matter what the early tracking says. Unless it's really good, which seems unlikely, the second weekend falloff will be cliff-like.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm reading this as saying they have very little confidence in the film, so they want to cast as wide a net as possible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
New pic from EW.com:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well, obviously they want to confuse moviegoers into thinking that this is part of the MCU and that Tom Holland or Robert Downy Jr. may appear in future installments. And then they want to get Marvel to loan them characters, which really WOULD retroactively make it part of the MCU. Which ain't gonna happen. But I bet that's what they're hoping.
I think it all depends on whether or not Sony renews their deal with Marvel. Holland is contracted for one more film with Sony after the deal ends. I could totally see Sony trying to create their own Spider-Verse without Feige's involvement, but we'll see.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Pass. We already had a PG-13 Venom (Spider-Man 3) and that didn't go so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks