Venom (October 5, 2018)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Mar 17, 2017.

1. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
  2. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I wasn't sure if anything (short of a superhero movie about a growing blade of grass trying not to get mowed) could supplant my utter apathy towards Aquaman... but then this happened.

3. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    I'm interested in seeing this, I like Venom as a character but I prefer him as a Villain in a Spider-man story. I'm not sure if he would work as the main character in a solo movie. We'll see how it goes,.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    Did y'all see the fan theory that the movie Life is actually setting up Venom? That would be brilliant and would be better than a space movie that looks and feels like one we've seen many times before.

5. 5 Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I'm not too wild about this.

Unlike the new Spider-Man, this isn't being done by Marvel Studios. So is it part of the MCU without Marvel's involvement? That seems unlikely. Is it its own separate thing not related to Spidey? That would be odd since that is a major part of what this character is. And if it is separate, most movie goers would still remain clueless about the distinction.

Plus, if separate, that would seem to limit Marvel's story options to eventually explore this story (properly) in future films. No
    Spidey finding the black suit while off-world during Infinity War, etc...

6. 6 May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

and Spiderman should be back in the hands of Sony by the time the sequel is made so win/win.

8. 8 May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Tom Hardy is an interesting choice, but I still find this whole thing to be completely bizzare.

That Sony is going ahead and developing a "Sony Marvel" universe (Venom, Silver Sable, etc...) using Spider-Man characters but not using Spider-Man (since Sony's new Spider-Man series is part of the MCU and these are not part of the MCU) is just really weird and confusing.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Tom Hardy sure has the physicality for Eddie Brock (aka Venom).

10. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Well, Spider-Man never left Sony's hands. He's still there. The new Spider-Man movies are Sony's movies. Sony is just wisely letting Marvel Studios produce the movies for them and they both benefit from the collaboration. Sony gets a Spidey that is part of the popular and successful MCU. Marvel gets to use this same new version of the charter in their MCU movies. That's the win-win, and a smart move by Sony (and Marvel).

But Sony going ahead and pushing to develop other movies using Spider-Man characters that aren't part of the MCU and don't use Spider-Man seems to be a really concerning prospect. We already saw what happened when they tried too hard to develop their "Spidey Universe" in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. It killed that iteration of the franchise. Now they're trying to do something similar again but without Spider-Man? Yikes!

There is still a great deal not known about the specifics of what they are doing. So maybe they are actually handeling it smartly and are still respecting and taking into account what they are doing with Spider-Man in the MCU with these movies, even if they aren't officially part of the MCU. But at this point, I don't have a great feeling about this.

Josh Steinberg and Bryan^H like this.
  11. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Hmmm... a character I never liked, played by an actor I never much cared for.

Yeah, it's not winning me over.