Venom (October 5, 2018) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Early reviews are horrible 27% at RT.

I find the 7.1 rating on IMDb to be hilarious. Like most new films, VENOM is getting an early ratings boost from the diehard Venom fans, no matter how bad the film is.

And read the 10/10 reviews, for your morning chuckle. One guy gives it 8/10 and then goes on to list all its faults. I'd hate to see what he considers a bad movie.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Early reviews are horrible 27% at RT.

Not surprising, this movie has looked really bad from the very first trailer.

You know what sucks, it looks like this horrible pile of poo is going to be tying up my local IMAX screen and may prevent next weeks First Man from showing in IMAX. I'm just guessing at this point but, movies seem to get at least 2 weeks in IMAX. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I expect First Man will play on virtually all IMAX screens. That’s usually a guarantee when the film has actually been shot with IMAX cameras, which First Man was.

They’ve been doing a lot of one week releases lately. I honestly wish they’d be more selective and show fewer movies for longer periods of time, but audience attendance patterns have changed and the audience rarely can sustain that these days. Virtually every movie release is so front loaded that it’s over after the first or second week anyhow. I’m not saying it’s anyone’s fault but that’s just the way the world works these days.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
If one is still considering whether to go see VENOM or not, here is a quote that might help you decide:

“My favorite 40 minutes of the movie were cut out”

-Tom Hardy

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
From The Wrap:

Leaping from plot point to plot point without the hindrance of logic or characters, this big-screen return of the legendary Spider-Man nemesis — last seen in the franchise-hobbling “Spider-Man 3” — is aggressively loud and stupid without being much fun at all. It exists as a waste of time (although, one hopes, a sizable payday) for some very talented actors, and it’s proof that even Marvel doesn’t always get it right.

My focus isn’t so much on the negative review but the fact that this writer is under the assumption that this movie and the MCU have anything to do with each other and that “Marvel” didn’t get it right this time. Kind of sad that a professional movie reviewer wouldn’t understand the distinction, but I think the average movie goer does not know the difference.

This is the biggest issue with what Sony is doing with this “Spider-Man Villains Universe without Spider-Man” path. They are banking on audiences thinking these are associated with the popular and successful “Marvel Movies”. And when they drop the ball (which isn’t surprising) it taints the genre for the general audience. Frustrating.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
From The Wrap:

My focus isn’t so much on the negative review but the fact that this writer is under the assumption that this movie and the MCU have anything to do with each other and that “Marvel” didn’t get it right this time. Kind of sad that a professional movie reviewer wouldn’t understand the distinction, but I think the average movie goer does not know the difference.

On the Venom site, the Marvel logo is about as big as the Columbia Pictures logo. That might lead some to believe that Marvel is associated with this Venom film, somehow.

Also, isn't the most recent Spider-Man movie ("Homecoming") a Sony production, even though it set the stage for Spider-Man's appearance in Infinity War?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It’s a Marvel film.
They are allowed to borrow Spider-Man for a limited run of movies.

Oh never mind I thought you asked about infinity War.
You may be right but I think Marvel was the actual show runner for the movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Discounting the violence, the movie was pretty goofy and silly.

There's a mid-end credits scene, and then another mini-teaser for a Christmas release at the end of the credits for Venom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks