Velodyne SPL 1200 or SVS 20-39 CS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

I'm still doing my search for a sub and I've pretty much decided on an SVS. But, I just recently came across a great deal for a SPL 1200 that seems too good to pass up.
    This is the output comparison between the two;
    20-39cs - 109.5 / 20hz~91dB / 25hz~105.8dB
    VELODYNE SPL12 - 107.1 / 20hz ~90 /25hz ~ 99
    Specs;

Specifications:

Dimensions
    inches (H x W x D)

14.5"W
    X 14.75"H X 15.75"D

Finish
    (Real Wood book matched Veneer)

Sealed
    enclosure with Black woodgrain vinyl

Drivers
    12"
    forward firing, EPDM Variable Thickness Surround, Multi-Layer
    Resin Cone,
    3" dual-layer voice, and a Die-cast aluminum basket

Amplifier
    watts Dynamic, 750 watts RMS Power, Patented "ERS"
    Amp

Low
    Pass Crossover

40Hz-120Hz

Frequency
    Response

22-120Hz

Inputs
    Gold-plated
    RCA line and speaker level inputs

Phase
    control

or 180 degrees

Special
    Features

Dynamic
    Driver Control, Subwoofer Direct, Anti-clipping & Video
    Shielded.

There would be a cost difference of about $250.
    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Troy

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Troy,

I can comment on the Velodyne SPL1200 because I bought 2 months ago. I love it. It's clean, fast, tight and produces deep bass. I think you'll like it.

I can't personally comment on the SVS but from what I've read on this forum they are great and have a very good reputation.

I'm sure you'll be getting much input from the SVS lovers on this forum.

Good luck

3. Troy LaMont

Vlad,

Thanks for the response. How does your 1200 sound on music and what size is your room that you have it in?

Troy

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Onecall had some SPL1200(and 1000)on sale recently,be sure to check with them too.

I think the SPL1200 was $749.00(B-stock)...which is a great deal!

No more PC sales for a bit, so if you are considering a 20-39cs/S700 combo...I think we'd outgun the SPL1200 handily...but the SPL1200 is going to take up less space. Remember, the numbers from TN were from one of the first 20-39cs off the line...the new ones are so much better it's scary.(they use the new driver being raved about in the thread that RAF started in this same forum).

TV

5. CraigR

CraigR Agent

Troy,

A few months ago I was in the market place for a new subwoofer. I wanted to get the SVS model that you mentioned but my wife said no way. Something about it was too big for our space and wouldn't fit in with the furniture, blah, blah. Anyway I ended up with a Velo. spl1200 and have been surprised at how good it is with music and HT. BTW, Tom Vodhanel was sympathetic with my predicament at the time. I still think that SVS is a first class company with a great product line.

6. MikeHalder

MikeHalder Stunt Coordinator

I was in the market for a sub in November to replace my Velodyne VA-1012XII and found the Onecall SPL1200 deal for $719.00. After listening to the SPL1200 I was amazed at the quality of the bass, tight and low. I loved it so much that I turned around the next day and ordered another one before they sold out. I had some helpful insight from Ron(SVS) when inquiring about SVS subs, and found that after getting the placement of the subs right, they sound incredible. If I had $2500 to play with I would have probably tried the Ultras from SVS as well, but I am now very happy with this setup. They match up very well with my KLF-30's with music and HT.

Mike

P.S.- You have got to love SVS... providing help with other manufacturers products!

7. Troy LaMont

Thanks everyone, you're the best!

Troy