What's new

Velodyne HGS15 or Martin Logan Decsent Sub? (1 Viewer)

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
Which would be best? Velo I can get for $1600-$1700, Martin Logan is $2400 - WHich is better assuming the money is no object? I have 2 SVS 20-39PC's BUT they do not fit in my theater well. I have a 3rd car garage converted to a HT and I have a 100" 16X9 screen in front. The SVS will not fit in front without blocking the screen, and in the back they dont sound as good as theyshould. I bought a velo HGS15 and placed it up front and the sound is great, but it doesnot have as much output as the SVS, but teh sound is much improved overall. Would anyone know if the martin logan sub is better than the HGS15? I can return the HGS and exchange for the ML sub noproblem. I would just hate to do that and find out the ML sub isnt even as good as the velo. My SVS subs are for sale by teh way at $600 each. Only local, in phx, AZ. No shipping. If anyone knows about this, let me know!

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
I have listened to a full martin-logan theater set up including the sub. I was not very impressed with the subs performance in HT.

It is a very nice looking unit and did a good job when only playing music, it just did not have the dynamics for HT. If you can return the HGS-15, I would suggest that you look at going to the HGS-18. The HGS-18 should give you more output

Joe Cole

Second Unit
Steve,

Have you tried all three subs together, the 2 SV subs and the 15" Vel? I have 2 16-46s with a 18" THX Vel and they work well together(although I would rather have the new plus model). 15" in front and the SVs in back. Should be very fine combo.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I would definitely take the HGS15 over the ML woof.

On the SVs, have you tried alternated placement locations? If there's a good corner in the rear of the room, could you try placing both in the same corner? (be sure to tweak the phase and calibrations).

TV

Miles_W

Second Unit
Tom, just curious have you had a chance to hear the ML woofer? I had one to try for a week end and It puts out a prodigous amount of bass... Infact subjectively more than my servo 15... It shook my projector and as my other thread indicated a while back made me feel sick...

Having said all that It didn;t quite do it for me despite being fast and powerful...

Miles

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
My SV's wont fit in the back corner. I have my sirrounds back there and equip rack in the middle. They only fit one on each side, not together and they soundm ore boomy and bloated back there. Up front they sound phenominal, but my room is small and stuffed with as much as I can put in.

I heard the ML at a showroom, and it sounded god but I was only able to do a quick listen. SOunded very fast, very tight and powerful, BUT at $500 more, I could probably pick up a HGS18, which is what I will probably do. Thanks!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Miles, no...never heard one.
Just judging by it's design and components...I'd go with the performance of the 15-18" servo for sure. Lotsa people prefer a subwoofer that rolls off in the 40hz range...gives them a sense of *fast bass* :)
I don't need to have my colon vibrated at 7hz...but I do like the feeling of losing my breath when there's a HIGH amptitude 20-25hz signal in a DVD.
TV

Miles_W

Second Unit
I don't know 1/10 of what you do about subs or bass, but I did not detect any loss of amplitude in that range... If you get a chance I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts on this unit (I realize that you are busy...) Try and listen I think that you would be surprized!

Miles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks