What's new

VCI working on 4K scan of their negs on RKO Dick Tracy films for blu ray lots of extras too (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Very Cool, Anything coming a little sooner from Bob?
They are working on a lot but nothing they are sharing we know they are working on another Pickford film and hopefully restoring the first Dead End Kid serial The Bat Whispers but no dates

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Great news, big fan of these films. Are these part of the RKO library owned by WB?
I think they are PD VCI has had them probably since 16mm rental days when they started in the 1960s they did day these are off their negs

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I think they are PD VCI has had them probably since 16mm rental days when they started in the 1960s they did day these are off their negs
Good point. I bought the Roan DVD set which I thought was excellent (at the time!). It included some supplements by Max Allan Collins, who I hope VCI will use with their set.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Good point. I bought the Roan DVD set which I thought was excellent (at the time!). It included some supplements by Max Allan Collins, who I hope VCI will use with their set.
They posted this " we used our 35mm negatives for the scans" "with new commentaries and bonus extras!" By the way they are selling their great dvd collection Mr Wong on dvd for 9.98 a great collection! Also good because it has the sixth film which Kino blu ray set won't have so if u buy the Kino set and the VCI you will get five blu ray and buy grabbing the VCI set you will have the complete series and supporting two great companies!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

I didn't realize that they went that far back, either in releasing the Tracy films or even as a company.

I know that VCI released the four RKOs on laserdisc in the early 90s -- in two double-feature releases -- as well as the Republic serials. And I have the Roan DVD set of the four RKOs, which came out in the late 90s.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I didn't realize that they went that far back, either in releasing the Tracy films or even as a company.

I know that VCI released the four RKOs on laserdisc in the early 90s -- in two double-feature releases -- as well as the Republic serials. And I have the Roan DVD set of the four RKOs, which came out in the late 90s.
VCI started by Bill Blair collecting prints then he started a rental biz they had deals with many firms even the majors then they were the first to see the value of home video - they had become friends with Buster Crabbe they filmed interviews with him and then released the last Flash Gordon with those interviews creating the SE I wish they could get Scrooge back - their most respected title they ever had
The funny thing is that I'm not really a fan of Dick Tracy, in any medium. But I have an inordinate fondness for the films of RKO, so...
The serials were good with each one getting better - the RKO's were fun

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks