What's new

vBulletin (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I like it as well.

How much does it cost?

A feature suggestion would be to have avatars, but I realize that could slow down the server.

Mike

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Will y'all be adding the "jump to first unread post" feature? I find that to be really handy for long threads (on other vbulletin sites), but at the same time, I can understand if it would put too much storage or processing load on the server.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My only comment so far is the column width for the user info, which seems excessively large.

Also, will you be allowing thumbnails in that column for user pics? I've seen these on other vbulletin boards. That could cut down on huge sig images.

One other thing is that on older posts, many of the quote tags aren't closing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Early impressions: very nice. Feels a bit quicker than UBB did. Visually, seems about the same.
I had a hard time finding the Preferences section, since it is now named "Control Panel", which I assumed would be admin tools.
Seems like a very good upgrade.
:)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Oscar:
Thanks. I removed the extra Calendar.
Jeff:
Column width is too large? What screen res are you using on your monitor. I have tested this on a 15 inch using 640 x 480 with no problem. What browser are you using? Everything is set the same in that regard as with UBB so if it wasn't too big on UBB it should be ok with vBulletin. I will not be using the thumbnails(avatars) on this forum. I personally don't care for the way they make a board look.
Can you send me a link of one of those posts where the quote is not closed?
Craig:
That is already in there. If you look to the far right you will see two arrows. One for the first post and one for the last.
Mike:
Sorry no avatars. I haven't priced vBulletin lately but it very reasonable and the annual renewal is great. You can check them out at www.vbulletin.com .
Parker

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
My one complaint is that I have to actually go to a thread I am tracking to read the new messages. One of the best things about the old software was its ability to deliver the new posts via e-mail, an option that worked well for me as I am mostly doing this from work. Any chance of adding this feature? Also, I can't find a "Most recent topics" (or whatever that was called) option. Is that gone now or am I blind?

Thanks,

Deborah

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Deborah, You can subscribe to topics, and a link to the reply will be sent to you whenever a reply is made. Also, there is a link at the top of the forums, called "Today's Active Topics" or there should be, unless it is enabeled by the admin. To subscribe to a topic, you have to choose it under your control panel.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply, Josh. And, yes, I am getting notification by e-mail of updates to the threads I am tracking, but I no longer am getting the posts themselves in the e-mails, meaning I have to keep going to the forum to read the replies. This is very inconvenient for me and I really appreciated the way the old system handled this.

I will have to look again for the "most recent topics" option. I did not see it when I looked before.

Deborah

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Re: quote closings: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=1426
I'm running Netscape 4.7 Mac. The first column is much wider now (where name/infor/member status is) compared to the UBB pages. I'd say it's about double.
Page loads seem slower for posts, though that could be because each post loads separately, whereas they'd all come on at once in UBB. Noticible on a cable connection. Haven't done a reboot lately though, so could be an issue. I'll report back after more experience on the new board.
Also the main page extends beyond the browser window, which it didn't do before. Forums are fine.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jeff:

The main page should be better as I have resized that. As far as the width of that column I am using Netscape 4.77 on a PC and it looks just fine. I am not sure what to say.

Parker

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Parker,

Are you going to try to add a post reply somewhere within the last post so like the previous software?

And, where's the spell check in the Post Reply area? Am I just missing it?

Otherwise, very nice especially the ability to see the thread while entering your reply.

Oh another thing. You might want to make note that each user has to set their time zone to get the correct time.

Thanks, Patrick

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Wow, I am suddenly getting the actual posted messages in the e-mail notifications on threads I am tracking -- as of the last two HTF e-mails. I am assuming that Parker is responsible for this so thanks, Parker! This pretty much takes away my only quibble with the new software. Hopefully some form of the old "most recent posts" option will also be enabled.

Thanks again,

Deborah

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I'm having a problem with the search function and it wasn't a problem with UBB. The issue is that I'm searching for "36" in the TV and Projectors area. In the past, this has really helped me do some research on TVs of various sizes. My folks are looking for a 36" TV, so I figured I'd look for appropriate threads... but vBulletin gives the following error:

The search term you specified (36) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
I guess this is a "feature" of the vBulletin software, so I don't know if it can be undone (or even if Parker would want it undone because clearly allowing searches on small words would put more load on things), but I think in this case the search is entirely appropriate. Searching for 36" doesn't work either because it ignores the quotation mark. Searching for 36 worked just fine under UBB and returned what I would consider a reasonable number of threads (~50 or so).

Other than that, everything I've seen so far with the new software has worked flawlessly... incredible job guys!

-Steve

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having the opposite problem as the other Jeff. I'm using Netscape 6.2 and the width of the column with the member info is so small, it only fits one or two words per line. Everything else seems to be fine.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I suppose this is the place to post this (??)
In the old version you could begin editing a post in the reply pane; select back on the browser to doublecheck something; select forward and return to the reply pane and continue editing with no loss of information.
The new version clears the reply pane when you return to it by going forward.
This obviously isn't a big deal, because you can always post a reply in a new browser window; keeping the original window up ( in place of the back / forward action ).
Just a difference that I noticed.
On a related topic - Would it be possible ( desirable ? ) to have the thread review pane below the reply editing pane go to the last page of a multi-page thread, as most folks are responding to the last page; not necessarily the first page. Having the thread review pane always going to the first page sort of defeats the point of having the pane available on multi-page threads. ( Which is why I used to do the back / forward trick when posting replies. :) )
Again, no big deal as there are work arounds. Just an observation.
( Thanks for programming for the masses. :) )
- Walter.

Craig P

Stunt Coordinator
Re: jump to first unread post... must have just missed it, I found it easily today.

I can't find a button to reply to a specific post (automatically quoting it, with an indication of who originally wrote it). Any intention of offering that?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Deborah:

If you click on the View New Posts link at the top of the main page it will show you the most recent posts since you last logged on.

I have added a pull down menu that will allow you to chose the number of days back that you want to see.

Hopefully, this will help.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks