Variety article: More Than Two Thirds of Consumers Have Never Bought a Digital Video

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by satam55, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I have never used a digital copy of any kind. These are coasters to me.

2. Goldie

Goldie Auditioning

Ruby
    I just don't trust just buying a title only in digital at this time. Who knows if the bottom will fall out and we can not access our
    library titles. I prefer to buy a BluRay with the Digital UV code. Redeeming codes is not always easy, and
    probably makes some of us not fully trust that UV will still be accessible for us over the years. Especially after Cineplex went separate and not with UV . I'm in no hurry to buy any Disney titles now. Also we might find as more people get on board with UV , that they will start to charge us a monthly fee to be able to watch our library . So I am treading cautiously. I want both the physical copy and the digital.

I watch for blu ray sales and look for movies with the words
    Ultraviolet HD UV or
    Digital HD

I avoid the the ones that only say Digital Copy as I find they are only itunes. ( I could be wrong on that )

I am not sure what the difference between the labeling on Blurays between Digital HD and Ultraviolet HD UV ?
    Very new movies seem to state Digital HD on the front in tiny print if they offer it . Although I have seen new
    movies with only Digital Copy.

I am considering using the service to convert Disc to Digital . However I have not heard of anyone I know
    trying this so I did not know if doing this then made your DVD or Bluray non functional.

3. A few tips. Since you are already buying blurays including a digital copies you might as well redeem them, you never know what tomorrow brings and that doesn't cost anything. Most of the studios except Disney belong to UV. Regardless what the slip says take the code straight to Vudu to redeem. If you don't have a good way to access Vudu, pick up a Roku. Vudu offers disc to digital also, millions have converted a discs, myself included. The language on the disc can vary but, if it's a major studio not named Disney it will be a UV code.

4. 24 Feb 24, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    He's in Canada so Vudu isn't an option. Are there any other D2D services in Canada?

Also, remember that Vudu isn't a good option when redeeming UHD titles. Flixster is usually the safe bet there...

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    With respect to that suggestion, I would recommend reading the fine print on the coupon before automatically doing so. The reason I mention this is that many of the new UHD 4K titles come with digital copy coupons that will redeem in UHD - but only if you redeem them directly at whichever website the coupon sends you to. If you try to redeem one of those coupons directly on Vudu, it will redeem as HDX only (and not UHD), and the UHD portion of your coupon which was included in your purchase price for the disc is simply gone forever.

6. ^^^^^^^ Yep, didn't catch the Canada till later. You are also right on the UHD thing. UHD hasn't effected me since they made me choose between UHD and 3D, I chose 3D. Those are the only discs I purchase anymore. Everything else gets purchased directly from Vudu.

7. Goldie

Goldie Auditioning

Ruby
    The Roku I have is a canadian version. ( Premier Plus 4630CA ) Vudu is not available on it.
    We have access to CinemaNow in Canada, however their disc to digital is only for DVD, they do
    not offer Bluray to digital at this time. We also have Cineplex which seems just for Disney now.

When you use the disc to digital service, does it make your DVD or Bluray non functional ?

8. 28 Feb 25, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    Nope! Not sure how a computer could even do that...