What's new

Variety article: More Than Two Thirds of Consumers Have Never Bought a Digital Video (1 Viewer)

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
I just don't trust just buying a title only in digital at this time. Who knows if the bottom will fall out and we can not access our
library titles. I prefer to buy a BluRay with the Digital UV code. Redeeming codes is not always easy, and
probably makes some of us not fully trust that UV will still be accessible for us over the years. Especially after Cineplex went separate and not with UV . I'm in no hurry to buy any Disney titles now. Also we might find as more people get on board with UV , that they will start to charge us a monthly fee to be able to watch our library . So I am treading cautiously. I want both the physical copy and the digital.

I watch for blu ray sales and look for movies with the words
Ultraviolet HD UV or
Digital HD

I avoid the the ones that only say Digital Copy as I find they are only itunes. ( I could be wrong on that )

I am not sure what the difference between the labeling on Blurays between Digital HD and Ultraviolet HD UV ?
Very new movies seem to state Digital HD on the front in tiny print if they offer it . Although I have seen new
movies with only Digital Copy.

I am considering using the service to convert Disc to Digital . However I have not heard of anyone I know
trying this so I did not know if doing this then made your DVD or Bluray non functional.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
A few tips. Since you are already buying blurays including a digital copies you might as well redeem them, you never know what tomorrow brings and that doesn't cost anything. Most of the studios except Disney belong to UV. Regardless what the slip says take the code straight to Vudu to redeem. If you don't have a good way to access Vudu, pick up a Roku. Vudu offers disc to digital also, millions have converted a discs, myself included. The language on the disc can vary but, if it's a major studio not named Disney it will be a UV code.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
[email protected] post: 4462105 said:
Regardless what the slip says take the code straight to Vudu to redeem. If you don't have a good way to access Vudu, pick up a Roku. Vudu offers disc to digital also, millions have converted a discs, myself included.

He's in Canada so Vudu isn't an option. Are there any other D2D services in Canada?

Also, remember that Vudu isn't a good option when redeeming UHD titles. Flixster is usually the safe bet there...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
[email protected] post: 4462105 said:
Regardless what the slip says take the code straight to Vudu to redeem.

With respect to that suggestion, I would recommend reading the fine print on the coupon before automatically doing so. The reason I mention this is that many of the new UHD 4K titles come with digital copy coupons that will redeem in UHD - but only if you redeem them directly at whichever website the coupon sends you to. If you try to redeem one of those coupons directly on Vudu, it will redeem as HDX only (and not UHD), and the UHD portion of your coupon which was included in your purchase price for the disc is simply gone forever.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
^^^^^^^ Yep, didn't catch the Canada till later. You are also right on the UHD thing. UHD hasn't effected me since they made me choose between UHD and 3D, I chose 3D. Those are the only discs I purchase anymore. Everything else gets purchased directly from Vudu.

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
The Roku I have is a canadian version. ( Premier Plus 4630CA ) Vudu is not available on it.
We have access to CinemaNow in Canada, however their disc to digital is only for DVD, they do
not offer Bluray to digital at this time. We also have Cineplex which seems just for Disney now.

When you use the disc to digital service, does it make your DVD or Bluray non functional ?

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
I decided to go and try the Cinemanow disc to digital and now I can not find it . Does anyone know about this service and if it is still available?

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
Ok it is different than Vudu online disc to digital. Cinemanow uses a download program you install on your computer .

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I redeem all digital copies with Blu-Ray purchase. This makes the title available to me "in the cloud" if I am on the road or something. I, at first, did not do this since I thought it was to download the movie in digital form only.... I did not know it enabled me to access it anywhere with wi-fi. So I did lose out on titles that expired before I was aware of the benefits of having digital access. But as to solely purchasing digital? No.

Goldie

Grip
Real Name
Ruby
I entered a lot of codes that were supposed to be expired and they all worked ! Did you try the expired ones ?

So far I have had a problem with the code for Erin Brockovich. It simply won't work for an ultraviolet code, except the outside states
clearly you get this PLUS itunes. Not just one or the other. I spent the last week complaining to universal who states there
is no ultraviolet for that movie. !@#&!! Well geesh guys then don't say it on front , back and the insert that is what you get .

I tried with a VPN for USA and with VUDU it said the code was invalid. Another site said it was only for itunes,
and myuv.com said the code was invalid. I've given up on it and now do not trust Universal studios to give what they
say they are giving.

Some movies on the front say DIGITAL HD and others say Ultraviolet HD
Is there a difference ?

Once they are in myuv.com , can I watch from any country ? Or only some of them ?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Some movies on the front say DIGITAL HD and others say Ultraviolet HD
Is there a difference ?

Some studios use them interchangably - I think the easiest way to keep it straight is that "DIGITAL HD" refers to digital codes in general, and "ULTRAVIOLET HD" refers to a specific format. In other words - all ULTRAVIOLET HD codes are a form of DIGITAL HD, but not all DIGITAL HD codes are ULTRAVIOLET.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I entered a lot of codes that were supposed to be expired and they all worked ! Did you try the expired ones ?

Yeah, they usually don't actually expire. Not sure why they even put those dates on there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, they usually don't actually expire. Not sure why they even put those dates on there.

Probably just to cover themselves. Afterall, who knows how long that exact web address will look like that, or how long they'll be using the same code redemption system? Most codes have expiration dates two years after the street date - by publishing that date, that gives consumers confidence that it'll be working at least that long, and also frees the studio from a maybe unrealistic expectation of having the same website info that never ever changes.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I'm in the same camp. I've never used a download code from any of my disc purchases.
The only one I downloaded was the new Star Trek so I could listen to the commentary which was only available that way. Having the disc I see no reason to ever want to sit at a desk and see the movie on my computer or on a 4" phone screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks