What's new

Vanilla Sky and Metropolis, and the effects 9/11 have had on theater audiences (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
(Spoiler alert for those who haven't seen one or both of the movies mentioned in the thread topic.)
I went out for the first time to the movies in over 2 weeks on Saturday, and saw two totally disparate films, Metropolis (a Japanese anime film), and Vanilla Sky. Both movies had one thing in common, though: Certain scenes, due to 9/11, had a significant effect on the audience watching them.
I watched Metropolis in the downtown region of Manhattan (Chelsea area I believe). Near the end of the movie, when the destruction of the two towers happened
, there was a VERY noticeable change in the atmosphere of the audience -- I can't quite prove it, but at least from my own internal reaction, I am guessing it was a sudden (and VERY visual) reminder of the events of 9/11.
Later in the evening I went to see Vanilla Sky, and though I didn't think anything of 9/11 through most of the movie (most of the movie occurred in NYC), the end sequence caught me off guard -- when David was on the rooftop facing the southern manhattan skyline, we see the twin towers very clearly to the south (the building Cruise's character was in was located probably in the mid-fifties street numbers, as you saw the noticeably SMALLER Empire State Building not too far to the south). The end explains that the events take place 150 years from the time of the beginning, and the beginning has the accident after 9/11, so I do wonder why the towers were chosen by Crowe to remain (yes I've read the explanation given in the VS discussion thread, but respectfully I don't buy it), as they are something of an anachronism. Whether or not they should be there though (I don't care either way), I must admit it WAS emotional for me, unexpectedly seeing that skyline in VS, and it had me *again* thinking back to 9/11, and all of the painful reminders and questions that always come up with such association. The upcoming CBS special, too (the exclusive footage inside the tower(s) after the planes hit but before the collapse), will only keep the event in the forefront of my mind (and probably many others out there).
I know that for me I'll always be sharply reminded of 9/11 when shown the Manhattan skyline, because I was so close to the events that took place, but for others this may not be the case. I can only imagine what the moviegoers here in this area are going to feel about Spiderman when it comes out. I'm a little curious how I'll feel about the opposite position -- when the first major movie comes out that depicts the current skyline in a prominent way. I'm wondering, then, have there been similar reactions from your audiences over these 2 movies? Have there been other movies out since then (even though it's only been 5 months) that've brought out similar reactions?
I'm hoping to keep this confined to the topic I stated; if it goes further than that or gets political, I have no problem with this thread being shut down.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
in the downtown region of Manhattan (Chelsea area I believe).
Unless they added another venue, it wasn't Chelsea. It's playing at the AMC complex in Times Square (near Port Authority) and at the new Landmark Sunshine complex on the Lower East Side. If it was the latter, I'd be interested in your impressions of the theater.
M.

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
Sorry, it was the Landmark; I'm still not thoroughly familiar with the boundaries of Manhattan's districts :b
The screen that Metropolis played on was small, but the projection was *outstanding*. And may I say that all of the workers there were very courteous. I'd love to go back there to see other movies -- it's very easy to get to from Jersey, just take the PATH to 14th street, switch to the F train, and get off at 2nd/Houston -- the theatre is a very short walk from there.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Glad to hear you liked the theater. Landmark must be counting on word-of-mouth, because I've seen zero advertising. IMO, the opening of that theater in late December was one of the best things to happen here for alternative cinema in the last few years.
I'm still not thoroughly familiar with the boundaries of Manhattan's districts
Don't feel bad; the realtors keep shifting them. :) If I had to guess, I'd say the Landmark Sunshine is in what's now called NoLiTa (for "North of Little Italy").
M.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Dana, I agree with those affects though I was not focused on the skyline in VSky very much and didn't think about it (hey, I'm not a New Yorker).
HOWEVER, a scene I just saw that had a very powerful 9/11 flashback for me was when screening Contact for film class.
Contact spoiler
I have to say that when the TERRORIST blows up the machine I was immediately struck with a 9/11 gut wrenching feeling, it immediately and powerfully came to mind. The circumstances of destruction and scale of the destruction were so similar to me that I found it disturbing.
Obviously this thing is tied into us pretty deeply, and it's not just NYers, trust me.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
how about the scene in con air wherethe plane crashes into famus places in Las Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks