What's new

Vancouver, where do you rent DVD's? (1 Viewer)

Ben Crouse

Agent
Every time I walk into my Blockbuster it gets worse. It is now to the point where I can't rent there anymore.

Any Vancouverites know of a good rental place I can rely on to find Widescreen DVDs? Is there a place that caters to the cinephile?

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I dont live in Van but I would recommend rogers video, I switched to from BB a long time ago. They always carry widescreen and the unrated versions of movies unlike blockbuster. Rogers also has a decent selection of more obscure titles and they also get the 'new' or 'special edition' versions of catalogue titles in most cases.

Another bonus is that their 7 day/older rentals are much cheaper than BB(who charges the same price as a new release last time i was there) and their late charges are less.

Check out rogersvideo.ca if you want to see what titles they carry.

muskie

Agent
I despise Blockbuster.

I rent from a little independant place about a block and half from me it's on Davie and Howe or something.

But a place that has a pile of movies that no one else has is on West 4th. It is just off Burrard. You have to pay a yearly fee for the privledge of renting there, I've only bought DVD's there (Acquirre the Wrath of God). It has lots of foreign movies and vintage movies at least on VHS of course it has DVDs too.

Rogers is OK but I prefer independants.

Muskie

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
There is a place on West 4th (Kits) called Videomatica.

They have just about every DVD ever printed I swear and they seem to cater specifically to cinephiles.

They have very competitive sales prices also.

Link Removed

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
Muskie, the store you're probably referring to on Burrard & W4th is Videomatica. You're right, they do have a great selection of hard to find titles.

Sweet Vancouverer's.

I live right beside the Dump (Labasts New West), I am so Anti Drinking. anyways.

I just got DVD in October, and well I can't afford rental $5/night ouch.

What is the cheapest place to buy DVD's? other then Futureshop. I had to use Futureshop.ca to get LOTR EE 2 weeks ago. said it would be here on the 6th, didn't get it until the 11th :frowning:

Every place in Vancouver was sold out (Futureshop, SuperStore Metro Town).

What do you Vancouver guys think about $13.50 for a ticket to SilverCity+$11 for large Pop and popcorn?

Maybe all us Vancouverer's should get together and all see The Matrix Reloaded together, and Return on the King? Ya

"Home Theatre Forums Vancouver Chapter goes to the Matrix" hmmm

Arif

Agent
I can't remember the last time I rented at Blockbuster. And I second Rogers Video - you will always find WS movies in stock even though they stock FS/P&S. They also have a good selection of older movies.

After you become a member, you can sign up for their newsletter which gives you FREE 7-day and 2-FOR-1 rental coupons. A couple of times a year they will release a "gift box" for sale which includes new release, 7-day, kids and $2.00 off previously viewed movie coupons which makes renting from them an even greater value!

:)

Arif

Agent
What do you Vancouver guys think about $13.50 for a ticket to SilverCity+$11 for large Pop and popcorn?
I think it's reasonable, but that's the price you pay for enjoying a movie in comfort with "big screen" and "big sound". But I also use the "Air Miles" 2-FOR-1 coupons which makes it very affordable! As far as the popcorn is concerned, I usually have dinner before the movie.

:emoji_thumbsup:

I went to TTT a week ago Tuesday. I sat in the very front row (ya screen is too small for me even in that row, I am legally blind).

Anyways after reading the thread about loud people in the theatre, I listened to see if I could hear people and well I couldn't. in the quiet scenes the theatre was dead silent.

Mind u I had the first 4 rows to myself.

The Movies I am seeing this year at SilverCity

Matrix Reloaded
Terminator 3?
Return of the King
Harry Potter 3 (is it coming out in November?)
Matrix 3

I always wait a few weeks after release before going to the movie, then I always get the first few rows to myself.

Well I did see Santa Cluas 2 on opening week on the Tuesday and it was emtpy basicly.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I tried a few random title searches on that website.

In short, their selection sucks.

Go to Videomatica. Seriously. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Gotta agree with the guys, Videomatica is the only place to go if you're a cinephile or just a budding one. It is the best place to find movies. I used to live in Vancouver (over 10 years ago) and went to Videomatica for the more classic and obscure films. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

But of course, if you're more into the mainstream stuff, Rogers is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks