What's new

Using my Kickers (1 Viewer)

Dave_Tengler

Auditioning
I am new to this forum and would like to say hello.

I would like to use one of my Kicker Subs from my car for my Home audio System. I would like to build my own box from scratch.

1. Can I do This?

2. Will the Sub work well for what I want it to do.

3. Do I need to install a Crossover on the sub or will my Technics Reciever be able to push the sub?

4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Dave Tengler

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
Welcome to the forum, I myself and fairly new but might be able to help.
You can use your kickers for your home theater, but keep in mind that car audio subs are designed with cars in mind. The only have to fill a small enclosure (your car) full of bass instead of your entire living room.
Your reciever might be able to push them, but are you going to have one channel to drive both subs? Depending on how you wire them it may not be compatible with the reciever. You will probably need a cross over, unless your reciever has a built in low pass. I think that 80-100 hz is a good area to put a sub's cross over.
If you need an amp, check out parts express's plate amps . They have a 250 watt @ 4ohm amp for about $135. and it has a build in variable cross over.
Is there anybody else here who has used their car subs in their home with good results?
here

eric nyhof

Stunt Coordinator
that link on the bottom is for the plate amp from PE.

I'm still figureing out how to use everything on the forum

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
We need to know a little more. What are the T/S parameters of the kicker sub? Don't need power handling, we want Vas, Fs, Xmax, Sd, Qts, Sensitivity, etc.

Then we need to know more about your receiver. Which model? Is that receiver going to power all your other speakers as well? If so what channel were you planning on using to power the sub? If the technics is just a second receiver that you plan on hooking up to the receiver that is powering your other speaker, what model of receiver is the main one?

Then we need to know if you have any enclosure size or shape constrainsts. What room it is going to go into. And what your music/movie listening split is.

Dave_Tengler

Auditioning
okay, here are my parameters:

vas liters...444.43

vas CuFt...15.59

fs...16.7

xmax...7.68mm

sd,sqM....0531

couldn't find anything on SQ sensitivity....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That's an awefully high Vas, you're gonna need a very large enclosure for that driver. And it would take two of them to equal the displacment of a single Shiva, Dayton DVC12" or a BP1201 (all of which have a Vas less than half what you quoted).

I'm not sure what to recommend enclosure wise, hopefully someone else will step in eventually.

Some where in the 300-400L range tuned to less than 20hz with a 4" port?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks