What's new

USHE Press Release: Back To The Future Trilogy (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
BTTF2 looks better than it ever did on a home video format :) Colour is very vibrant & warm, detail is razor sharp you can clearly see the fabric patterns in the costumes in very fine detail along with all the sets & various signs, posters & other background details.

This is such a complex & interesting movie :DI know some do not like but I like all 3 movies equally & 2 has some very interesting time travel ripple effect!

Dolby Atmos makes the audio as good as it can be with great clarity & the wonderful Alan Silvestri score really shines here.

Universal did a great job as the 4K UHD Disc is the definitive version now.

However, some scenes which use the ILM VistaGlide camera system look a slightly softer at times but this is a limitation of the technology available at the time so when you have scenes in the daylight with multiple optical composites (to combine the various characters being played by the same actor skillfully as well!) they are going to look a little softer. Some light degraining has also been used as all the night scenes are grain free (at the cinema they were full of noticeable grain!). Same with the makeup & hair its obvious at times but not a fault of the 4K UHD Disc or transfer just the technology 31 years ago so not a fault of this new release.

One other thing I noted is the end titles on parts 1 & 2 might be brand new as in they redid with new fonts & text as it looks that way to me anyway!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
YouTube put this at the top of my home page. It is an unboxing of the steelbooks from some guy who sounds like he is speaking French, and the discs and cases appear to be the international versions. with French text But the slipcase and the front cover images are the same as Best Buy's version, so I'm guessing that the back and interior artwork will be the same too.

I am happy to see that the titles ARE included at the top of each image.

Oddly enough, despite going through the effort of making the front covers of the trilogy line up to be one long image, they do not extend that theme over to the backs, which each have their own individual still from the respective film. And the interior artwork is a little busy.

But it still looks nice. If the Blu-rays are remastered too, I will be happy to get this.

Last edited:

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
UK 4K UHD Trilogy has remastered BDs but tbh they do not look much different than the re-released 2015 BD's (from the 2010 transfers!) the playback differences on the 2020 BD remaster are minor despite the file size for the actual movie file being way higher!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Caps are up on Caps-A-Holic. Will be interesting to see how this looks projected. Universal 4K UHD discs generally look good projected.

Whoa...those caps are eye-opening, especially as to the effect of what I believe is edge enhancement (and maybe some contrast boosting) on the BD. That said, in other, darker areas there seems to be some loss of fine detail on the 4K.

Wish there were more detail to be gained though. IF those caps are accurate and representative, then there's really not much of any detail gain for most of the movie. OTOH, the reduction of EE (and DNR) and contrast boosting might be enough to justify an upgrade. Maybe this is a case best served just going w/ the 4K digital stream from iTunes/MoviesAnywhere (whenever the next sale comes online)...

_Man_

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the Blu set isn't remastered, it makes me glad I got it through that $10 cockup. I'd be really pissed if I paid more than that for it.

At $10, it's just the usual low level disappointment I've grown accustomed to with life overall.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If the Blu set isn't remastered, it makes me glad I got it through that $10 cockup. I'd be really pissed if I paid more than that for it.

At $10, it's just the usual low level disappointment I've grown accustomed to with life overall.
You got the set for $10?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If he’s talking about that eBay thing from a few weeks ago I don’t think any of us have this in hand yet.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If he’s talking about that eBay thing from a few weeks ago I don’t think any of us have this in hand yet.

I think we are all on the edges of our seats waiting to see how that deal pans out. I missed out on it, but I'm sure as heck interested in the outcome.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Not just a seller, a company owned by Universal Home Entertainment.

I got this message from them the other day: "Thank you for your order of Back to the Future Trilogy on 4K! We are excited to get this item to you as fast as possible, but due to an overwhelming response to the re-release of this title, we are backordered for a brief moment. Our plan is to ship this item to you as soon as we are back in stock so you can enjoy this amazing trilogy."

Real Name
Luke Pacholski
A seller on eBay had it for $10?

Yes. It very quickly went up to $49.99:

I got this message a few days ago:

"Hello,
Thank you for your order of Back to the Future Trilogy on 4K! We are excited to get this item to you as fast as possible, but due to an overwhelming response to the re-release of this title, we are backordered for a brief moment. Our plan is to ship this item to you as soon as we are back in stock so you can enjoy this amazing trilogy.
"

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
From @Todd Erwin in the Roundup thread -- just reposting here in case anyone interested in this doesn't check that thread

I can safely say the Blu-rays are new transfers, the 2015 edition has blown out contrast when compared to the new 2020 Blu-rays, which are more film-like.

So that's settled and I will keep my pre-order.

Now if only I can figure out how to get $5 back from Best Buy. They lowered the website price by $5, but already put a pending charge on my credit card back when I first ordered it for $69.99+tax. Now it's $64.99+tax

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
BTTF3 looks wonderful! :D

Best looking disc of the 3 & a lovely film as well. So much detail in the costumes & sets. Universal overall did a great job with this perfect trilogy on 4K UHD Disc. No botched DNR here (although some of the actors faces look a little soft in places but that seems to be more to do with the makeup used, camera lenses & or optical composites compromises from the original footage & VFX technology limitations).

BTTF3 looks like a Jaws 4K UHD Disc level of quality :biggrin: The western scenes in the bright sunlight look like they were filmed yesterday its an amazing looking transfer considering this is a 30 year old movie! Even some of the previous soft or weird contrast scenes (on older home video releases) with ILM optical composites look really good here (doc & clara on the hoverboard rescue scene near the end for instance now looks very good indeed & way more natural than it used to! Would not be surprised if ILM recomposited that scene either!).

Dolby Atmos also enhances the experience & makes Alan Silvestri's wonderful score sound rich & warm & all the dialog is very easy to understand.

If your a BTTF fan or just love movies in general then this trilogy set is well worth buying on 4K Disc :D(I have not had time ;)to look at the extras which are spread on each 4k disc as well as a bonus BD disc with new extras).

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
From @Todd Erwin in the Roundup thread -- just reposting here in case anyone interested in this doesn't check that thread

So that's settled and I will keep my pre-order.

Now if only I can figure out how to get $5 back from Best Buy. They lowered the website price by $5, but already put a pending charge on my credit card back when I first ordered it for $69.99+tax. Now it's $64.99+tax
In the past when that’s happened I’ve just called Best Buy’s customer line and they’ve adjusted the price immediately.

Perene

Auditioning
Real Name
Perene
Can someone please investigate if somehow this scene was changed for the 4K release? 1st movie, after 33 minutes and 25 seconds:

BD

If the answer is yes, that might indicate two things:

- They only did for it;
- The movie (and this should be checked for the others) is darker than before.

About this specific scene, I always felt it was odd how quickly the background was suddenly brighter, but remember Marty arrived at 06:00 AM in 1955. Perhaps the problem was in fact before, since in the scene which Peabody fired against him was still too dark.

About BTTF part II, I noticed after 2 minutes and 30 seconds (for the Youtube video, check after 2 minutes), right after the Delorean flies, the sound effect (note: this scene was taken from the 1st movie) is different when compared to the old Blu-ray. I can tell it sounds different because I have the two here to make a comparison. For the old Blu-ray I mean the DTS-HD MA 5.1.

So far I have not noticed other changes which could indicate revisionism. Of course the old Blu-ray tracks sound different when compared to the 4K, but it has not been stablished yet Universal changed anything or that one is better, the other is worse somehow.

I would like to read a review or comment in this thread that focuses on the 1080p release(s) versus the 4K. Since this is one of my favorite movies I like to check different releases.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can someone please investigate if somehow this scene was changed for the 4K release? 1st movie, after 33 minutes and 25 seconds:

BD

If the answer is yes, that might indicate two things:

- They only did for it;
- The movie (and this should be checked for the others) is darker than before.

About this specific scene, I always felt it was odd how quickly the background was suddenly brighter, but remember Marty arrived at 06:00 AM in 1955. Perhaps the problem was in fact before, since in the scene which Peabody fired against him was still too dark.

I haven't actually seen the release (yet), but are you sure it's not generally darker throughout?

It's been quite common for 4K HDR releases to have a darker look in general (and often enough much darker), especially if your display/setup is designed, optimized or calibrated primarily/largely for SDR content.

Doesn't help that the mastering practices for 4K HDR content have not been consistent at all (unlike previous, lower-rez formats).

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone else ordering from Best Buy gotten a shipping confirmation on this yet? My order of the steelbooks still hasn't gone out yet, and it's to arrive tomorrow. Usually by this point it would at least say "Getting it ready -- arriving tomorrow" when I check the website, but it still just says "Pre-ordered -- arriving October 20," which is the same as it has said since I placed the order.

I do hope it gets here on time because I am going to watch for Back to the Future Day and I would prefer it be the new discs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, my shipping notice just came through. It is being shipped with UPS and is listed as arriving tomorrow. Also, the order page now reflects the lower price, so I guess they only charged me for that. Good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks