Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just saw BTTF1 4K UHD Disc thanks to zoom shipping a few days early (UK Universal Studios owned distributor!).

Picture is fantastic! Universal did a great job here this is such a good looking 4K UHD Disc. Ultra detail on all the clothing, signs, background details, props, vehicles & DeLorean :thumbsup:

Best by far it ever looked at home with a superb picture. Colour looks so natural thanks to HDR & WCG rendering it so well & enhancing so many little details which were previously hidden on home video releases (like so many and as a massive BTTF fan I bought most of the various Laserdiscs, VHS, DVD,BD etc etc!)

The Enchantment Under The Sea dance section (s) look amazing & real demo material looks like it was shot yesterday as the 4K UHD Disc quite literally takes you back to when it was actually shot as it looks so fantastic & natural :biggrin: (most of the movie looks like this its fantastic to revisit thanks to the wonders of 4K UHD Disc & Universal clearly put a lot of effort into this release).

Dolby Atmos sound as well improves the audio a fair bit. Previously hard to understand dialog is now very clear & the fantastic Alan Silvestri music & 1950s classic tunes never ever sounded as good as they do now so once again Universal did a really good job in producing such an amazing sounding 4K UHD Disc !

BTTF1 4K UHD alone is well worth the entire trilogy price to me but as I love all 3 movies equally I am looking forward even more to seeing 2 tomorrow as its so entertaining!!

I think at this stage BTTF1 must be declared the best looking 1985 4K UHD Disc release :biggrin:

Such a lovely movie as well. The 2 Bobs wrote the perfect screenplay & produced a perfect film plus all the actors really shine here its such a great movie! The chemistry, acting, character interplay, humour, everything is simply perfect to me nothing could be improved its all so perfect as it already is!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
nothing could be improved its all so perfect as it already is!
I agree with that assessment except for one little detail that has always struck me as odd. Spoilers in here for an iconic 35-year-old movie, but I'm going to assume everyone reading the eighth page of a press release thread for said 35-year-old movie has seen it at some point and not use spoiler tags.

Jennifer says, "It's like Doc's always saying," and then Marty finishes the thought, "I know, I know, 'If you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything.'" So, this quote is directly attributed as coming from Doc Brown. And not just once -- he's "always" saying it.

But he never says it. Not once in any of the three films does Doc ever say that line.

So that's weird. There are multiple occasions throughout the film where he could have said it in a way that made sense, like when he sees that the time machine works in either 1985 or 1955. But he doesn't do it. So, I think it's a little weird to go out of the way to make him the source of that sentiment and then never have him say it.

To be clear, the movie is still great. I still agree that pretty much everything else in the script works. But that one little detail has always struck me as unusual. They might as well have just had Jennifer come up with it herself, if we weren't going to see Doc say it. That is the only thing I would have suggested changing (or adding) if I had been involved in the film somehow. I'm certainly not suggesting that it should be added now, since the film is the film and should not be altered at this point. But I would have done that in the first place if it were up to me. It's obviously not a big deal and doesn't detract from the quality of the rest of the film, but it has always struck me as bizarre.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jake that’s a really odd thing in this series to get stuck on.

Just seems to me like it’s an ongoing joke.
Howbout this...

the thing I always get hung up on if I feel like thinking deeply about it is... BTTF 3 could've been 45 minutes long.

Doc got all het up over Miss Clayton living and inadvertently changing history. If he'd just thought fourth dimensionally about it, he takes her back to 1985, she disappears from 1885 so that problem is solved, Doc is happy in love, everybody wins. But then the last half of the movie doesn't happen and everyone walks out of the theater feeling real cheated.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Jake that’s a really odd thing in this series to get stuck on..
I wouldn't say I'm stuck on it. The film works great as-is. But it's a little thing that would have made sense to include and it's not there, so I do think it's worth mentioning.

Everything else in the film that is set up is paid off. So it's odd that they specifically credit Doc with always saying that line if he never says it. It is not detrimental to the film in any way, but it's odd. That's all.

If he'd just thought fourth dimensionally about it, he takes her back to 1985, she disappears from 1885 so that problem is solved
I agree with that. But it still made sense to me for them to do what they did because Clara wouldn't have believed him at first. Therefore, having her feel rejected makes sense. It is a big ask for her to believe something like that. The only way I can think of that she might have believed him when he told her is if he actually showed her the DeLorean before he said it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luke Pacholski

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Someone on YouTube who I guess got the set early posted an unboxing video for the regular 4K release.

Another reason that I am getting the steelbook is because I hate when the discs are just in cardboard holders and there is no tray. It really seems like this could lead to scratches or harm to the discs. Even though I am paying a lot more for the steelbooks, at least they should keep the discs securely in place.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I went with the BB steelbooks, not specifically for the cases (though they are cool if somewhat impractical if you want to display them as intended) but more for the "exclusive extra BD disc" of content. I couldn't find out what was on it, but I'm a big enough fan of the series to enjoy whatever else they want to package in there for me.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Caps are up on Caps-A-Holic. Will be interesting to see how this looks projected. Universal 4K UHD discs generally look good projected.

Whoa...those caps are eye-opening, especially as to the effect of what I believe is edge enhancement (and maybe some contrast boosting) on the BD. That said, in other, darker areas there seems to be some loss of fine detail on the 4K.

• Agreed
Reactions: ManW_TheUncool

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Best Buy Steelbook. Same Price. I dunno but I like the General Release version a bit better for the digi-book which I know some people hate.

I doubt I’ll get either release but there’s an extra $22 added to get the steelbooks. I’ll definitely pass on that.

I noticed there are screen tests for actors who didn’t get the parts. Aren’t those notoriously hard to get since actors usually don’t want them public?

Reactions: Tino

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have a $10 Best Buy coupon (and another $5 reward coupon if they can be combined), but the Steelbook is just so vastly more expensive than the standard version to really consider it a viable purchase.

Britton

Screenwriter
Whoa...those caps are eye-opening, especially as to the effect of what I believe is edge enhancement (and maybe some contrast boosting) on the BD. That said, in other, darker areas there seems to be some loss of fine detail on the 4K.
Could be due to some method HDR to SDR conversion to get those screen caps? I still remember making the mistake of outputting the Star Trek Beyond UHD disc in 1080p before I had a 4K set and being barely able to see a thing because it was so dark.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Ibut more for the "exclusive extra BD disc" of content
There is nothing exclusive about it. The bonus disc is available in all versions of the set that are being released next week. Its contents are detailed in the press release that @Ronald Epstein posted in the first post of this thread. It appears to contain the same material as the bonus disc released with the 30th Anniversary Trilogy in 2015, plus "over an hour" of new content.

However, the only thing that is exclusive to Best Buy's set are the steelbooks.

If you want the steelbooks for the steelbooks, that's great. If you only went with the steelbooks for the bonus disc, there might still be time to cancel your pre-order and switch over to the less expensive basic release.

(though they are cool if somewhat impractical if you want to display them as intended)
I'm confused about what you mean by it being impractical to display the steelbooks as intended. The photo on Best Buy's website seems to indicate that they will be housed in a slipcase. I expect to have them in there on the shelf with the spines showing outward when they are not in use. I will get them out and look at the artwork across the three steelbooks when I am going to use the discs, but I don't think they're intended to face outward on the shelf all the time.

I noticed there are screen tests for actors who didn’t get the parts. Aren’t those notoriously hard to get since actors usually don’t want them public?
I assume that Universal must have cleared with those actors permission to put those on here. Maybe, 35 years later, they just think it would be cool to be associated in some way with a film as iconic as Back to the Future. Maybe they're getting paid for the inclusion. I don't know.

As an aside, this is why I don't think we'll ever actually see the footage that Eric Stolz shot in any meaningful way, aside from the few seconds in the Tales From the Future documentary. Obviously, I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the ins and outs of contracts, but I'm guessing that Universal would have to make a deal with him for the release of that footage. I doubt very much that he would be interested in having people see footage from a film which he was fired from and which he has been very reluctant to discuss over the years.

the Steelbook is just so vastly more expensive than the standard version to really consider it a viable purchase.
I totally get that. In most cases, I would agree with you. But it's Back to the Future, and they are some of my favorite movies, and I really hate the digibook not having trays for the discs. I'm rationalizing this purchase because I'm still basically quarantining, and I'm not going to be spending any of my entertainment budget on going to movies or plays or basically any outings for the foreseeable future. So if it will make me happy to get the steelbooks, I'm going to do that and look at this as my major splurge item for the rest of the year.

I was born in 1988, so missed the original release of the first film altogether and was way too young to see the sequels on their original runs. I discovered the trilogy as VHS rentals in the summer of 2002, a little while before the original DVD box set came out. So my first purchase of them was the DVD. Then I upgraded that to the first edition of the Blu-rays upon their release in 2010. I didn't get the 2015 release because the movie discs and transfers were identical, and I didn't think it was worth another bundle of money just for the bonus disc and duplicates of what I already have. Now, even though I don't have UHD, I'm still getting remastered Blu-ray transfers, plus (it seems like) everything I would have gotten in the 2015 set and even more new stuff. I'll check the new set against the old one when it gets here, but since it seems like the extras from the previous editions are being retained, that also means I'll be able to pass off the old set to a friend. (I have some friends who will just be happy to get the movies for free and won't care about having the most up-to-date version.). I also gave away my 2002 DVDs after getting the original Blu-rays, which means those original versions that I purchased are still getting used and enjoyed, just not by me. So all that together to me is worth a splurge. I know it is a rationalization. But I'll do it.

We'll see what they come out with in another five years for the 40th anniversary (if physical media is still a big deal then.). But unless they're holding back something really surprising and spectacular, and I can't imagine what that would be at this point, I expect this will be my final purchase of these films which I love so very much. So I can live with the splurge. Would I prefer it to be cheaper? Of course. But I can live with it.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm going to quote something @Todd Erwin just posted over in the Roundup thread in case some people would see it here who don't check that one:

I received my review copy of "Back to the Future" today, so my review should be up pretty soon. A word of warning though to those who pre-ordered the Blu-ray edition - the Blu-ray movie discs are identical to those included in the previous release and have not been upgraded.
This really pisses me off because I was under the impression that the Blu-rays are remastered. Because I don't have 4K at this point, there's no reason for me to buy this without new Blu-rays. I would like to see the new bonus features, but since I'd probably only watch them once or twice, they're not worth the cost of the "upgrade."

But it's too late to cancel my Best Buy pre-order, so I'll need to return it for a refund.

Ugh. What a missed opportunity on Universal's part to also upgrade the Blu-ray versions.

Thanks @Todd Erwin for saving me $70 if you're sure.

Reactions: Osato

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
either they changed their mind or a mistake was made during replication/packaging.
If a mistake was made, that would be reasonable, if frustrating.

But here's my problem: I can't cancel the pre-order because Best Buy is already in the process of getting it ready to ship. Per their policy, I have 15 days to return it for a refund if I wish to do so.

If Universal actually remastered the Blu-rays and want to initiate an exchange program, I'd be open to that. But if they didn't, I don't want to spend $70 on the steelbooks just for a few new bonus features. So I need to decide within 15 days whether I want to return the item or not.

Ugh.

Edit: In other news, Best Buy has dropped the price of the Back to the Future steelbooks by $5, so it's now $64.99+tax instead of $69.99+tax. But, as they usually do, they put a hold on my card when I ordered it back in June for the full amount, so apparently I'm being charged $69.99. If they were going to drop the price, I wish they would have a policy like Amazon and just not touch the credit card until the item is shipped. This just keeps getting more consumer-unfriendly.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc