What's new

Useful and Cheap Tweaks Thread (1 Viewer)

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all:
I wanted to start a thread on useful objects/items you've bought/acquired along your HT journey that have helped in one way or another. These items don't necessarily have to improve sound or PQ either. Thought this thread would be helpful to others. I'll kick it off...
EZ MOVES FURNITURE SLIDERS
When I realized that I actually dreaded upgrading because I had to slide my rack out a bit to access the I/Os, I decided to ease the burden. I found these at my local Linens N' Things just browsing w/the SO one day and they are perfect for sliding a stand-alone equipment rack w/o damaging the rack, or your floor/carpet. The ones I bought aren't on the webpage below but rather are the ones that are circular in shape and about 1.5" in diameter. They were $5.00 for four I believe and they attach perfectly to the 5/8" diameter rubber feet on my flexi rack.[ more info ]
MASTER CASTER CORD AWAY WIRE CLIPS
After I built my Flexi rack, I had to find a way to deal with wire management. For me, zip ties were annoying and split looming just didn't look right to me. So I found these cable clips at Office Depot. I simply nailed 2 rows of these clips down the backs of the shelves of my flexi rack. One row for power cables, the other for interconnects. Works flawlessly. [ more info ]
MICROFIBER KITCHEN CLOTHS
These are must-have for keeping your speaks and components dust free. Many kinds available -- the "As Seen On TV" kind (Micro Fiber Miracle Cloth) works great and is relatively cheaper than the store brands. [ Link Removed ]
Any others out there? Would love to hear about 'em!
Todd

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Duct tape - Yep, can't live without duct tape.
Paper masking tape - really handy when you're lining the inside of an RPTV on the cheap. Um, does tend to loosen as the TV warms up though.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
$4.99 laser pen from Computer Geeks, used to align speakers to listening position.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I think I'm going to pick me up some of those master caster wire clips. The back of my flexi looks like a spaghetti dish.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Lining the inside of an RPTV? I'm pretty sure he was joking about using masking tape for that job, but you do it so that there is less reflection and you get a clearer, brighter picture, with more contrast. For that reason, you use a flat black substance to cover up everything inside that isn't image-related.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Wedge shaped rubber door stop from home depot.

Use under back of the center channel, you can "aim" the speaker toward ear level. Use the laser pointer on top to see where its aimed.

Alan M

Second Unit
Clear diamond rubber feet with stickie backs.I used these on my center to angle the center,stop it from moving(I live in earthquake country).They look good and work well,$1.65 for a pack of 6 at home depot.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Clear diamond rubber feet with stickie backs.I used these on my center to angle the center,stop it from moving(I live in earthquake country)
I took new pencils and sliced off the tops of the eraser heads. One for each corner of my center channel. Very discreet and different heights of the eraser heads (from rear to front) gives me my desired angle to the listening position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks