what to use for tv mattes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JakeMcM, Mar 4, 2003.

1. JakeMcM

JakeMcM Stunt Coordinator

A while ago a read a thread on tv mattes that for some reason I can't find. I want to try this tweak out but I want to do it for cheap. What materials did you guys use for the mattes themselves and what did you use to affix them to the screen. The cheaper the better, I just want to see if I like it and then I might put more money into it for more effective materials. Oh and does the material have to be thick enough to block out a lot of light, I was looking at felt today in the fabric store and it was kind of see through, do I need something that doesn't let as much light show through. Thanks for the help. Oh and please don't say anything about the uselessness of mattes etc...I want to try it out for myself.

2. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I used black foam board. Available at most picture framing shops. I was able to order a 4X8 ft sheet locally for only $20.00. I cut it to size, and used small square velcro tabs to attach it to the TV.

Of course, I had to make different sized ones for the different aspect ratios.

Another method I've seen is to get Duvetyne fabric, try this link DowninFront , click on the DIY button, and scroll down to see the link for pics.

It does make quite the difference, one that a picture does not do justice to.

3. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I used a material called GatorBoard, I went to my local Reprotech Store and they gave me two 46"x4" black pieces for free. But my company does a lot of business with them.

I used velcro to attach them to the TV.