What's new

Use switched outlet or no? (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I was wondering what the thoughts are on using switched outlets on recievers. I am currently using the outlet on my Sony DA4ES to power my 100W subwoofer. Is this something I should get away from?

I do it because the sub has no auto-power on feature. Is it bad to leave a sub on all the time, other than the possible hit on my electric bill?

Mark

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Go and unplug that sub amp right now! It cud easily overheat that receiver outlet and/or blow an internal fuse if there IS one. Note the power consumption plate at these rcvr outlets. These outlets typically max at 100W but are designed for lower-power components such as DVD and CD players around 15W.

Obviously, the sub amp wont be pulling 100W all time but this is a gamble. You dont have a surge protector/power center in which to plug the sub cord?

It's probably OK to leave the sub amp ON 25/7; it cud be in some sort of standby when no signal is passing (manual?)

bill

Jonathan M

Second Unit
As Bill has said, the switched power outlets on the back of receivers are designed with a limited current draw in mind. This is due to a couple of things: First, it limits the amount of power that the receivers' cable needs to supply (Usually not much of an issue), secondly it is switched using a relay whose contacts are only rated for a specific amount of current draw.

What's the worst that could happen? The relay could fuse on and/or a fuse could blow (Unlikely).

I suggest that you plug your sub into a wall socket and leave it on - a class A/B sub amp should not drain too much power being always on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks