USA Today article reveals future TV on DVD sets

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Steve...O, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Hi,

This article from USA Today reveals that Warners is planning on releasing some 30 TV shows to DVD over the next 5 years! You go Warners. Several are listed in the article. MGM also reveals some potential upcoming sets.

The focus of the article is the Gilligan's set, which I'm watching this week. Good stuff.

Steve

2. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Holy Chrome!

Some of the titles mentioned in that article..

77 Sunset Strip
    Maverick
    F Troop

and then the MGM titles mentioned??

Flipper
    My Mother the Car
    The Patty Duke Show
    Seahunt

YIKES!!

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Please - someone consider Dobie Gillis, the series that featured Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebbs (Denver's Gilligan is essentially the same character), and, I think, one of the most innovative comedies ever, for release.

Also - whoever owns the rights to Amos 'n Andy (funnier than The Honeymooners), ignore the idiots of the world who believe it is a racist show and put out this series.

4. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

Yeah, I always figured, we didn't know what the G. stood for in Maynard G. Krebbs, and all we didn't know any more of Gilligan's name (I may be wrong on both points, I'm no expert on either show) so my theory is that it's the same guy.[​IMG]

5. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

"the G stands for Walter"

Sherwood Schwartz and Bob Denver have said in a few interviews that Gilligan's first name is/would be "Willy". And if you look around a bit, you can find scans of the 'bible/concept material' that Schwartz did for Gilligan's Island and it even gives his name a "Willy Gilligan"

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't want any of the shows mentioned in the article (thank goodness!), but I'm glad for the fans. Also, I'm sure there'll be something amongst the other 27 Warners shows I will want!

We'll probably never get Amos N Andy, but I would love to have it. Years ago, I managed to find a VHS box set of about 8 of the episodes and loved every minute of it. I don't think it's a racist show, either, and certainly no worse than Sanford or something like that.

7. Randy Gray

Randy Gray Stunt Coordinator

There are several places online that offer Amos And Andy on DVD. I haven't posted enough to provide a link but do a search on google with Amos And Andy DVD and you'll find them.

- Randy

8. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    I'm ecstatic about the prospect of possibly getting full season sets of MAVERICK on DVD in the near future.

Hopefully, MGM will also see the value of releasing 2 complete season sets, collecting the entirety of the original ADDAMS FAMILY (1964-66) series, sooner rather than later.

Unless things have changed, I believe the original elements & legit rights to AMOS & ANDY still belong to CBS, thus Paramount/Viacom.

Also, if I'm not completely off-base, I think DOBIE GILLIS is a Fox property.

9. Mark Lx

Mark Lx Second Unit

Kung Fu $65? I think it's about half that.

10. JasonPW

JasonPW Stunt Coordinator

Okay, not to be anal or anything, but:

MAYNARD G. KREBS
    Beatnik

GILLIGAN
    cleancut

MAYNARD
    hates work

GILLIGAN
    eager to help (just not all that good at it)

MAYNARD
    uses now-dated "beat" slang

GILLIGAN
    free of any identifiable slang or era

______
    They're not the same character.
    {end of rant}

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Jason: You ever watch Dobie Gillis? I have, a lot, but not, unfortunately, for many years. If you have, then you must come away with the feeling that Maynard G. Krebbs and Gilligan are the same person, even if the characters differ in detail. Know what I'm saying? Both are basically good people who are also loveable clutzes. Maybe I shouldn't have said character - I really meant person.

12. JasonPW

JasonPW Stunt Coordinator

I used to watch Dobie Gillis on the late, great CBN network (now known as The Fam--I mean Fox Fam--I mean ABC Family). And then for at least a few years on Nick at Nite.

I guess all that stuff I was referencing isn't that important...:b but I do think that Maynard G. Krebs is at least a good 30 I.Q. points sharper than Gilligan...or maybe it just seems that way because "Dobie Gillis" was a smarter-written show than "Gilligan".

So in an alternate bizarro universe, Gilligan is rescued from the island and ends up attending junior college and reinventing himself as a beatnik doofus.

13. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Still no word on the Spielberg cartoons or "Night Court", huh?

Aaah, well...That's why the HTF is here.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Also, does Warner have the rights to the 80s version of "Alvin & The Chipmunks"? I've seen prints of the show with Lorimar and Warner logos.

14. BobH

BobH Stunt Coordinator

I am not surprised at the similarity of Maynard and Gilligan. I saw Bob Denver on a panel contest show and he was either in character or, um, how can I say this, um, he's a few feet short of a first down. Being a fan of his characters, I must admit it is probably the latter.

15. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    I am NOT looking forward to any other TV shows in MAR like the "widescreen" (=cropped) Kung Fu. Does anyone know if Warner's is planning to do this with any other releases? Are there any other releases of TV shows originally released in 4:3 that are being cropped for release in 16:9 (not counting recent shows with other framing issues/problems like BtVS)????

16. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I found this funny, and from my observations probably true, and has anyone read his book, Giligan Maynard and me? I haven't but it could be an interesting read.

17. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Sounds like a good question to ask at the upcoming Warner chat.

I heard that The Dukes of Hazzard might be a widescreen (MAR) transfer. I think I read it on an HTF thread from Gord L.

18. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I wouldn't have posted that it's going to be widescreen (I don't know what it'll be released as).

Gord

19. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I guess that's all they did was look at them because it's been 2 years and there's been no mention of any of them coming out. Not like they have such a great catalogue of shows ahead of them. I just wonder if the Sony merger now eliminates all of these shows from consideration.

20. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

Warner Bros.

Where the smeg is MAX HEADROOM???