What's new
World Wide Stereo

UPS + Powermax 8 DBS... (1 Viewer)

TomRiddle

Auditioning
with new hdtv displays, aren't proper shutdown a necessity? I know for LCD RPTV's, it has a cooldown/powerdown cycle.. it's pretty much a no-no for newer sets to suddenly lose power and just be turned off without going through its normal shutdown routine..

I just don't know why people aren't talking much more about UPS? I see more line conditioner type threads, etc etc etc and nary any talk about power backups..

I myself will soon have a LCD RPTV and for that alone to let it do its shutdown thing I bought a UPS:
Belkin® Home Office UPS Battery Backup, 28-Minute Backup, 500VA
officedepot.com/txtSearchDD.do?searchTxt=belkin+500va&x=0&y=0

But, I also bought a Powermax 8 DBS

my train of thought was to plug my home theatre into the powermax8 and then plug the powermax into one of the ups-protected outlets on the Belkin.. good idea?

I read the manual on the belkin last night and it made a note not to plug in another surge protector into the ups-protected outlets, in essence.. "Daisy Chaining" :frowning:

what do you guys think I should do..? Just plug my Panasonic PT-50LCX63 directly into the ups-backup?

*le sigh*

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's generally a poor idea and if you contact Belkin they'll give you the specifics of why they recommend against it.
Apart from whatever the units you bought do, they also provide a modicum of surge protection. Consider though that they were never intended to serve as a primary means of protection but rather to augment protection that is more properly installed at the AC mains.
As I see it you've got a couple of concerns. You're interested in providing an orderly means for your RPTV to shut down in the event of an outage which you've adressed. You also have specific needs that have to do with providing sufficient outlets to connect your equipment. Now is there a reason why you can't let the RPTV have the UPS and use another outlet to connect your Panamax?
If providing continuous power to your other components is a concern of yours, then source out a more capable UPS (or two) that will do so. APC, Triplite, and others have online calculators where you can estimate the size unit you need for the length of time it'll need to run.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Tom, what you want to do is plug the Panamax unit into the wall outlet and then the UPS into the Panamax unit. You then can plug in whatever devices you want UPS'ed directly into the UPS outlets and the rest can be plugged into the Panamax unit for surge suppression protection. I believe this is what Belkin is recommending and it is what I've done in my home office.

hope this helps,

--tom

TomRiddle

Auditioning
*german beer voice*
use the ups on the panamax instead of the other way around..? Brilliant! BRILLIANT!

;) thanks so much, i can't believe that i did not see such a simple solution

-sigh- i think i've been overloaded.. researching tv's, cables, power management, speakers, etc etc and trying to coordinate everything and my brain's screaming, "No mas! no mas!"

thank you both.. btw Chu, it's not so much a problem with electricity anymore.. the thing with lcd rptv's is that the lamp has to be properly shut off and the whole tv needs a 'cooldown' cycle (it's also the reason people are advised not to turn their lcd rptv's on/off/on/off back to back)

that being said, the problem in my house is the circuits get overloaded at times and the house "jumps" so the whole 2nd floor of the house loses electricity (you should hear the yells of "let me know when the heater is off so i can use the microwave!").. if a situation like that occurs now with my rptv.. i'd just be asking for trouble

hence, UPS time :) thank you both again

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No, because if the ground fails on the UPS you're screwed.
Sounds like you need to upgrade your electrical service though.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Chu, can you be more specific? I could see how if ground failed on the UPS and you had a surge suppressor hanging off of it then that suppressor has nowhere to send the surge. But if you plug the UPS into the suppressor, you don't have this problem and in addition, it protected your UPS from surges since most UPSes have minimal surge suppression capabilities. I believe the setup I mentioned I got was recommended by Tripp Lite or APC in one of their manuals.

cheers,

--tom

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, you are 100% correct and thanks for correcting my erroneous comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks