What's new

Upgraditis hits with force (1 Viewer)

Alan M

Second Unit
Since joining HTF a couple of years ago,my home theater requirements seems to have grown by leaps and bounds.
After reading many posts,as a new member,I want out and purchased a tosh 65h82,directv hd box,tosh dvd player,yami 5560 reciever,P-2 sub, and the fluance sx-htb(I still think they are the best bang for buck speakers on the market(MHO)).
Now.with a little experience under my belt and after reading many many posts,I'm at it again.
I remember quite a few years ago hearing a friends 2 channel system that used Maggies.I was really blown away by the clarity and force of sound coming out of the maggies.
Well,as of today,I placed an order for the outlaw prepro/amp combo 950/7100.After making that call,I also called Magnepan and ordered a set of MMG's for fronts,MMGW's for rears and the MMGW-C for a center.

I'll post once I recieve and set up everything and let you know what I think of this new improved HT.Gah,dont feed my addiction(j/k).

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Did you audition anything else? Or just bang, buy the Maggies? That seems pretty impulsive.

What about in 6 months when you hear someone else's Martin Logans?

Wouldn't you want to listen to lots of different stuff and order the best you can find/afford at the time?

Just curious.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
the maggies have a trail period... so no worries for him.

plus, MMG's are factory direct, and for thier price, its VERY hard to find competition for them.

Alan M

Second Unit
Yes,I have been auditioning other speakers for the last month.While I have heard many different brands,only two or three really stand out to my ears(MHO).Although I liked the Martin Logans,the price range is just a little to high for the wife.
There has always been something about electrostats that "floats my boat"(old saying). At the price of about $1350 for the set of 5 maggies,I figured I'd give them a try.Magnepan does have a 60 day trial period,so if I'm not happy,i do have the option of returning them.

As for the Yammi reciever,there have been a few things about it I have not been happy with.Non adjustable crossover for the LFE channel and rear delay limitations when switching from dolby 5.1 to prologic 2 when watching directv(much to long a description to get into here).

So,we'll see how the new setup works(auditioning and shopping for speakers has turned into a second job,lol).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Alan:
Congrats on your new toys.....your system is going to be very similar to mine. I have the Outlaw 950 with and handful of M200s. My best advice for you would be to make sure you give the Maggies plenty of break in time (>150hrs) and try to place the panels further into the listening area than the front of your RPTV is. I can't speak to how well the MMG-C blends in being that I run a phantom center, but I think you'll be quite pleased with the Ws as surrounds. For $299 you get very sleek looking speakers that blend very well with your mains. I've never liked the fact that if I upgraded my mains I'd have to spend more than I wanted for surrounds so that they'd be timbre matched. When I had Paradigm Studio/100s, I tried to use mini-monitors as surrounds. It sounded pretty good, but when I upgraded them to studio/20s they just disappeared and the whole soundfield became more enveloping. With these Ws, I'd even feel comfortable with their ability to blend with the larger Maggie 1.6s.

Anyway, you were smart to get something like the 7100 for the Maggies, especially if you like HT. I hope you'll report back once you get it all set-up and broken in.....I'd love to hear what you think!

Good luck and congrats :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I love reading this forum and the impulsiveness that seems to thrive from doing so! That's why my sig fits so well......

Alan M

Second Unit
Thanks for the well wishes,

The outlaw 950/7100 showed up today.After rewiring,calibrating(using the rat shack meter),setting delays ,modes,etc,I'm absolutely amazed at the difference.The sound is more detailed,and the sound field is much fuller.I'm hearing things I havent heard before on some of my dvd's.
The Maggies show up on Monday.First time I've ever wanted a weekend to go by quickly.

I'll report back once the whole shabang is hooked up and working next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks