What's new

Upgrade Processor: Thermal Paste required? (1 Viewer)

Phil L

Supporting Actor
I'm going to upgrade my athalon XP processor with a faster one.

I'll buy the retail version so it'll come with a fan and heatsink.

Do I need thermal paste?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Shouldn't. When I bought a new Athalon (about a year ago) I bought the one with the heatsink in the same package. The heatsink has a little sticker-thing on it that you take off right before installation. Under that sticker there is already some thermal paste. Now, if you decided to go with a different heatsink, or if your's doesn't have any already on it, you HAVE to get some. According to AMD their processor will burn and die in a matter of seconds if it has no heatsink or if the heatsink is installed incorrectly. If I remember correctly Tom's Hardware actually installed one without a heatsink just for giggles and the thing actually caught on fire. I'm pretty sure there's a video of it on www.tomshardware.com.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Under normal circumstances, the thermal wax material under the retail heatsink should suffice. If you plan on Overclocking or doing some odd things with the computer, then you may want to get some higher performance thermal paste such as Arctic Silver.

JamesP

Grip
I'm a big fan of using better thermal transfer goob then the stock slab of wax that comes on the stock cooler. Even if you are only running at stock speed, a good thermal transfer material will cool your CPU a couple of degrees.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I agree with James, using something better than the pink bubblegum on the default heatsink will only do you good. Especially considering that the stock heatsink isn't a very good cooler to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks