Unplug receiver when away?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg W L, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Greg W L

Greg W L Agent

Going on a trip shortly and am not sure if I should unplug my receiver and other equipment. It is a Marantz 5200. WIll it lose it's settings if unplugged for a couple of weeks? What is the danger if I leave it plugged in?

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Get a 3100 joule Home theater surge protector at SAMS and leave it plugged in. I have never lost equipment plugged up to a surge. I lost a TV once to a lightning strike through the coax. No surge on the coax.[​IMG]

3. Greg W L

Greg W L Agent

No Sam's here in Canada. Is there any make in particular that you recommend, and how much are they?

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

We have a place here in Saskatoon called Audio Warehouse that sell Panamax home theatre surge protectors with coverage for $125,000.00. I don't own one yet myself but I have read that they make good quality products. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

You will almost certainly lose your memorized settings.

Jeff

6. Erich S

Erich S Agent

How long do high end receivers, particularly Denon, hold their settings when the power is lost? If they lose settings with the slightest power blip, what battery back-up/surge suppressors are good and which should be avoided? I would like to avoid having to recalibrate my system every week.

7. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Two weeks is the limit on some. $18 for a 3100 joule. Sams does have online shopping. Panamax is good but not cheap. Walmart has a more expensive brand than Sams that does less. You can really over pay for this stuff if you are not careful. Most stereo stores make a huge profit on this stuff. I use to buy Panamax for the schools at contract prices. 2/3 of the retail cost. Other brands are up to standards at this time and you do not have to buy a Panamax to get a good unit. Panamax was the only good unit 10 years ago. I still have 3 units at my house that are 10 years old.
    If you have the time , go online and buy from SAMS/COSCO/ or any wholesale warehouse. Good luck!!
    PS/ check the Joules on each unit/the higher the better(1020 to 3100). The other ratings are pretty much the same on most units=clamping volts=330 all 3 wires/max spike current=72000amps or higher/response time=less than 1 nano, etc.[​IMG]
    Your telephone and coax will have a lower joule rating.
    Most work by diverting excess current to the grounding conductor. If you get a direct hit / you will lose everything in you house. Electricity will jump 7 or more feet to look for a grounding path of sufficient capacity. This is where your house insurance kicks in.
    PS/PS The warrenty thing is full of loop holes. I read one where the surge had to be over a certain value but less than a certain value. You would never collect on that one.
    The one i'm reading now says over 1 ms, it is not covered and you can't daisy chain( well I do=My ups is off a surge and my computer is off a strip surge off the UPS). They all have their loopholes and they decide, not you. But I have never lost anything that was hooked up to a $3 to $50 surge, the price did not matter.