What's new

Unplug receiver when away? (1 Viewer)

Greg W L

Agent
Going on a trip shortly and am not sure if I should unplug my receiver and other equipment. It is a Marantz 5200. WIll it lose it's settings if unplugged for a couple of weeks? What is the danger if I leave it plugged in?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Get a 3100 joule Home theater surge protector at SAMS and leave it plugged in. I have never lost equipment plugged up to a surge. I lost a TV once to a lightning strike through the coax. No surge on the coax.:D

Greg W L

Agent
No Sam's here in Canada. Is there any make in particular that you recommend, and how much are they?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
We have a place here in Saskatoon called Audio Warehouse that sell Panamax home theatre surge protectors with coverage for $125,000.00. I don't own one yet myself but I have read that they make good quality products. ;)

Erich S

Agent
How long do high end receivers, particularly Denon, hold their settings when the power is lost? If they lose settings with the slightest power blip, what battery back-up/surge suppressors are good and which should be avoided? I would like to avoid having to recalibrate my system every week.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Two weeks is the limit on some. $18 for a 3100 joule. Sams does have online shopping. Panamax is good but not cheap. Walmart has a more expensive brand than Sams that does less. You can really over pay for this stuff if you are not careful. Most stereo stores make a huge profit on this stuff. I use to buy Panamax for the schools at contract prices. 2/3 of the retail cost. Other brands are up to standards at this time and you do not have to buy a Panamax to get a good unit. Panamax was the only good unit 10 years ago. I still have 3 units at my house that are 10 years old.
If you have the time , go online and buy from SAMS/COSCO/ or any wholesale warehouse. Good luck!!
PS/ check the Joules on each unit/the higher the better(1020 to 3100). The other ratings are pretty much the same on most units=clamping volts=330 all 3 wires/max spike current=72000amps or higher/response time=less than 1 nano, etc.:emoji_thumbsup:
Your telephone and coax will have a lower joule rating.
Most work by diverting excess current to the grounding conductor. If you get a direct hit / you will lose everything in you house. Electricity will jump 7 or more feet to look for a grounding path of sufficient capacity. This is where your house insurance kicks in.
PS/PS The warrenty thing is full of loop holes. I read one where the surge had to be over a certain value but less than a certain value. You would never collect on that one.
The one i'm reading now says over 1 ms, it is not covered and you can't daisy chain( well I do=My ups is off a surge and my computer is off a strip surge off the UPS). They all have their loopholes and they decide, not you. But I have never lost anything that was hooked up to a $3 to $50 surge, the price did not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks