What's new

Universal snubs the on-line comminity: No reviews of E.T. and Back to the Future (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I just read through the press release again, and it states in no uncertain terms that the 1982 cut will only be included in the Ultimate Gift Set.
Now, I'm beginning to wonder if it was in fact Spielberg himself who is responsible for the inclusion in the 2 disc set. After all he's the one to give final approval of the finished product.

Just a theory.

Chris

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Your right Chris, i just read thru it also. IT only states that the 2 disc edition will have the 2002 cut, but it does not say that it will not include the 1982 cut...if Spielberg was responsible for this, then more credit to him:emoji_thumbsup: . Yey!
l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ok,
so, now that we're glad the original version is on disc 2 of the 2-disc set...
What is the PQ like? Is it the same quality of the "new" version on disc 1
What is the audio format for the original version on disc 2? I remember reading it would be 2.0 DD only (on the 3-disc set). If the audio for the original version on the 2-disc is 5.1 DD or 5.1 dts then, IMO, that's even BIGGER news than the fact that you don't have to buy the collectors edition. The original edition with 5.1 DTS would really make my day. So...please verify for me what the audio format is for the original version.
thanks!
dave :)

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Yea, it would be great to know what audio format the 1982 cut is in. I can only hope for DTS, but DD5.1 would be great:)
l8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
So er, what in the world is in the gift set? As an E.T fanboy I am probably still happy to let my purchase of the gift set stand (besides it should have shipped already now anyway)...
Beginning to think that the content of the gift set has not changed, and that the only difference is the 82 edition will be seperate on a 3rd DVD. If it's DOWNGRADED and is just the two disc set with the CD and the other tiny bits then there's going to be some issues from me in regards to paying up for that set. :)
Dan

James L White

Supporting Actor
yeah what's the audio format(S) on the real version the quality better be as good as the bastardised version or I'll be very pissed

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
yeah what's the audio format(S) on the real version the quality better be as good as the bastardised version or I'll be very pissed
Well that's an ironic statement, wouldn't you say? It's funny when people don't object to elements of revisionism in film... if its any good, in this case the sound mix for the 2002 edition. If you want the ORIGINAL, you should want the sound as it was in 1982, no?

Dan

James L White

Supporting Actor
Well that's an ironic statement, wouldn't you say? It's funny when people don't object to elements of revisionism in film... if its any good, in this case the sound mix for the 2002 edition. If you want the ORIGINAL, you should want the sound as it was in 1982, no?
I agree but why not include both DD.DTS5.1 and original stereo,A choice is always best.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I don't disagree that the 1982 version with that wonderful new sound mix would be nice, it's what SHOULD have been put into cinemas in the first place earlier this year, but sure if choice is there, so be it.
That said, if the 82 cut is on disc 2 with the majority of supplements, DTS (if indeed there) takes up a further 20 mins of disc space and what have you and there could be some unwated compression issues there. I'm trying to justify my purchase of the gift set now ( :D ) really since it's probably too late to cancel. We'll see...
It really seems like this could have been a late descision posisbly propted by Spielberg himself and or the ET fan community. If this is so, the MSRP (or close to it) of the gift set still stands for a lot of people and the set is still promoted as this seemingly ultimate edition. If all it now turns out to be is everything you get on the two-disc plus printed materials like the screenplay plus a CD, really like nothing more than those Warner box sets like Matrix ...etc then the ET Gift Set will perhaps become victim of false advertising.
As I said above my guess is the gift set is exactly what was announced, it's the two disc as is but with the 1982 edition given it's own disc (possibly for superior picture...etc) and then the CD...etc...etc.
OR maybe it was a breakdown of communication, and the reference to the gift set being 3 disc is to indicate the two-disc AND the CD, counting the CD as disc 3.
From the Press Release;
"The Ultimate Collector's DVD edition will include a widescreen version of the 2002 film, the original 1982 theatrical release, a bonus features disc, a complete script, the remastered CD soundtrack and a collectible senitype."
Now the press release actually never states 3 DVDs and a CD. There was never actually anything there to suggest the 1982 cut was on a seperate disc. What is in the above paragraph frankly breaks down to this two disc edition, the CD and the screenplay and senitype.
I think we have the biggest screw up and breakdown of communications in DVD announcement history here!
Dan

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I was thinking the same thing.. perhaps there is no commication with the dvd producers and unverisal about the new info? perhaps it was a last minute thing since many people complained about it.

JACOB

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Good morning guys! Looks like I'm in for another busy day of answering questions.

Before a start, I'd like to comment about the so called 'isolated score'. Just for fun, looked up the definition of the word 'isolated' in Webster's dictionary. It says

"1 : to set apart from others;
2 : to select from among others; to separate from another substance so as to obtain pure or in a free state"

Well, according to Webster's, E.T. doesn't have an isolated score. This so called 'isolated' track features all audio from the movie. It's just a live version of the score that's playing in the background. I'm sure some people are going to be upset by this.

I've got a question that hasn't been asked. On all of the cover shots I've seen, there's no mention of Widescreen vs. Full Frame. Is it marked in an obvious way on the packaging you received? I
I haven't seen the full screen or U.S. releases, but the Canadian widescreen release doesn't mention anything about the aspect ration on the box. The only way to tell was a small sticker on the shrink wrap that labeled it as widescreen.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Thank you David! Cancelled my Gift Set and went for the nomal CE. You just saved me $30 which I promptly spent on Amelie which suddenly turned up in my Amazon Gold Box :D
It's members like you, who provide vital dvd information to the general membership that really makes HTF work as a great place for Home Theater discussion and information gathering
Indeed! I mostly lurk here but HTF IS without a doubt the most informative and civilized forum on the net.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
So David what's the final word on the audio format options for the 1982 version? If I skipped passed the answer before, I apologise. I didn't see a straight and direct answer rgearding this, just a vague nod to there being DD, DTS logos on the front of disc 2 a page or two back.

If there's 5.1 on the 1982 version does it sound different to the 2002 mix (possibly revealing itself to be a 6 track 70mm mix from the 80s) or is it the same 02 re-mix synced for the original edition?

Dan

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Very interesting... My fingers are crossed my gift set didnt ship friday as expected and they will receive my e-mail tomorrow morning asking them not to send it. If the gift set comes, well, so be it I suppose. I take it in addition to DD and DTS on the original that the original English 2.0 is there too?

So it appears the two disc set is done right, and Universal/Amblin should be commended for that and giving us the true 1982 version, anamorphic and a good re-master quality. That said, Universal's publicity & marketing department... I can think of other things to do to them right now (that possibly involve rope, a heavy arsenal of firearms and the complete Cher CD collection).

Dan

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Brecher, perhaps David Ely could start a new thread with an appropriate title, I imagine there are many who have stopped checking in on the this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks