What's new

Universal plans to issue 100-150 titles in SACD for 2005! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Universal's commitment to Super Audio continues. They have announced some specifics on the title slate in this article from Brian Moura:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=13089405

What I really like is the discussion regarding many "day and date releases" and some SACD exclusives. I think this will help the format along. They are also putting SACD into the successfull DVD Video group which could be very positive.

:)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
It would be nice, since I believe almost all the Universals are hybrids, if they went the extra step and made them single inventory hybrid discs. Such an effort might kick-start others to do the same and we would then achieve decent market penetration for SACD. This might prompt either DualDisc releases to be the same, single inventory, or (my preferred outcome) for DVD-A releases to be coupled with a CD version (two disc releases would offer more in the eyes of many consumers, and the portability issue would be resolved--a few titles have gone this way, but more need to do so).

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
Please, God, let U2 be among these releases.

They are on a Universal-affiliated label, correct?

John Milton

Second Unit

This would indeed be ideal. I also second the comment about wanting some U2 on SACD. How about their new album for starters? ;)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Question: When Universal Japan and Universal USA independently release the same recording on SACD, is that counted twice or once?

Is this really something to get excited about seeing that Universal Japan is releasing 50 classical SACDs in a single month this year? If anything, it seems like growth from Universal remains flat.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
T think the thing is that current rock, kountry, western, R & B, and rock is what remains flat, in zee vay auf weleases. I saw Free's Fire And Water offered on vinyl just lately which I've noticed sometimes precedes an SA-CD announcement. Wish, wish!

TomCW

Second Unit

Here, here! I want more new multichannel stuff, not just 30 year old re-issues!

Tom

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I guess the proof will be in the title announcement and making-street-date pudding.

The press release spends a considerable amount of its running time on Robert-Murphy/a corporate reorg that now has SACD falling under the aegis of the international (music) DVD(-V) team. Ummmm, so? I think the burden of proof is on UMG to demonstrate what significance--if any--this will have, particularly for U.S. auds.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks