What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UNIVERSAL --Are you ever going to release these films on bluray? (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
o_cobra-woman-1944-maria-montez-jon-hall-sabu-lon-chaney-1dc4.jpg

I've asked for it before and I'm asking again!

How about releasing all 6 Maria Montez-Jon Hall (The King and Queen of Technicolour) 1940s colour produced B-film adventure classics in a blu-ray medium deluxe box set?

I am referring to:

ARABIAN NIGHTS (1942)
WHITE SAVAGE (1943)
ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES (1944)
COBRA WOMAN (1944)
GYPSY WILDCAT (1944)
SUDAN (1945)

As (helpfully) recommended earlier in this discussion thread I got the All Regions U.K. blu-ray release of ALI BABA AND THE FORTY THIEVES (1944) very likely the best film in the series but let's not stop there for goodness sake.

It's glorious confectionery junk like this that makes film collecting so exciting.

hqdefault.jpg

Jeff T.

;)

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Arabian Nights, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, and Cobra Woman have all been released overseas on blu-ray. The other 3 titles have yet to see a blu-ray release anywhere.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
I have the three Montez/Hall blus mentioned above and would gladly buy the other three no matter where they are released. I must state, however, they were not in any way B pictures.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's still a head-scratcher for me why companies like Universal and Paramount are finding the European market so much more lucrative for their classic titles. What the hell is the matter with us?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I was always amazed that Universal never saw to put together for their old 'franchise' line, collections of either the Hall/Montez films or the Dorothy Lamour sarong items. They were both always popular with the film-buff crowd, especially in the pre-cable days of local late-shows.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Also I found it shocking that Maria Montez wasn't even mentioned as part of their 100 year celebration. They re-released a lot of 60s-80s schlock with pride. Idiots,

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Fahrenheit 451 & The Hindenburg I would gladly buy on Blu-ray as well. Hopefully, when they do release the latter, they can include the additional scenes from the TV version and the alternate color footage of the climax.

BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF?
(Le Pacte Des Loupes)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
arabian-nights-movie-poster-1942-1020433036.jpg

I thought that Jon Hall and Sabu always made a fantastic team. Together they had all the heroic adventure and comedic aspects down pat that made their three outings in the Maria Montez-Jon Hall technicolour film series so enjoyable.

Through thick-and-thin they always stood up for what was right against oppressively overwhelming odds.

It seems that Sabu was shunted out to accommodate Universal studio contract players Turhan Bey, Peter Coe and Andy Devine.

Arabian-Nights-1942-2.jpg

Jeff T.

;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
View attachment 21250

I would hope Universal, or Criterion, would make a fresh scan of the original camera negative. Give us the fine film grain and restore the color.

Although the film was originally released in mono, the sound stage could be opened by using stereo recordings of Bernard Herrmann's film score.

Porting over the excellent special features from the Universal DVD would be very appreciated. New extras would most welcomed.

Here's hoping sooner than later!

This is available from Germany as a Region B disc:
https://www.amazon.de/Fahrenheit-45...qid=1464274055&sr=1-2&keywords=fahrenheit+451
Features include a commentary with Julie Christie (!), trailer, 45-minute making-of feature, 12-minute interview with Ray Bradbury, etc. I managed to get a mini-digibook edition that has 12 pages of (German) text and photos, but I don't see that it is available anymore. Nonetheless, with all these features and a very nice transfer, it's a steal, especially with the U.S. dollar eating away at the Euro.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Anne of the Thousand Days has some horrendous edge effects scattered throughout. Color is remarkable, contrast superb and grain plentiful and natural looking. But the edge effects are a real deal breaker; marring the overall presentation. Also, some intrusive gate weave to contend with - silly, stubborn and distracting. Regrets. Pass and be glad that you did.

Would love to see Universal get right with the Lord on this side of the Atlantic or, at least, make some of their deep catalog more readily available in region free Euro discs we Canucks could snatch up too via Amazon.uk.

My list of favs still MIA

Tammy and the Bachelor
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Anne of the Thousand Days
This Island Earth
Midnight
The Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer
Sweet Charity
Flower Drum Song
The Time of Their Lives
Who Done It?
Hold That Ghost
Can't Help Singing
Spring Parade
Christmas Holiday
It Started With Eve
Going My Way
My Little Chickadee
She Done Him Wrong
Blue Skies
Road to Morocco
Never Give A Sucker an Even Break
The Hindenburg
Abbott & Costello Meet The Mummy
The Glenn Miller Story
Madame X
Portrait in Black
Revenge of the Creature from the Black Lagoon
The Girl Most Likely
Man's Favorite Sport?
The Secret Of My Success
Six Weeks
The Money Pit
Cry Freedom
For Richer or Poorer

Last edited:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Anne of the Thousand Days has some horrendous edge effects scattered throughout. Color is remarkable, contrast superb and grain plentiful and natural looking. But the edge effects are a real deal breaker; marring the overall presentation. Also, some intrusive gate weave to contend with - silly, stubborn and distracting. Regrets.

Would you say this looks like an older DVD master? Which (Europe?) release do you have?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Would you say this looks like an older DVD master? Which (Europe?) release do you have?

I bought both Euro releases; German and Spanish, praying the transfer would be different. It's not. But 'no' I wouldn't say they're 'older' transfers. Probably a new scan done around 2009 or so but with major flaws in the mastering process. Universal's early foray into Blu greatly suffered from a complete lack of consistency and attention to detail. Their Blu's of Field of Dreams, Cape Fear (1992) and others need to be redone. After a brief reprieve for their 100th anniversary (which rectified the grotesque sins committed on their Out of Africa earlier Blu-ray release) Uni appears to have fallen back on their old ways. Xanadu and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas are not up to snuff - both released this year. Xanadu is a travesty (and I'm not talking about its artistic value...or lack thereof....herein). Whorehouse has intrusive gate weave during Charles Durning's magnificent cameo. It also could have had some color stabilization applied. Sloppy work from the folks at Uni. Also, the new Rock Hudson/Doris Day Collection features only a complete restoration of Pillow Talk, already available separately. The other two titles, Send Me No Flowers and Lover Come Back appear to have had NO extra restoration work applied before getting slapped to disc...and it shows! I have little expectations for better efforts to be applied to their forthcoming Airport Collector's pack and the releases - finally - of Jaws II, III and Revenge. Regrets.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
King of Jazz should be coming soon, universal spent something like 500k restoring it. I've been told that the DCP looks incredible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
King of Jazz should be coming soon, universal spent something like 500k restoring it. I've been told that the DCP looks incredible.

This is not the title I had in mind.

I can't say more but it's a pretty major title from its era -- at least from fan demand -- and it won't be released by UNI directly, or so I hear.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is not the title I had in mind.

I can't say more but it's a pretty major title from its era -- at least from fan demand -- and it won't be released by UNI directly, or so I hear.

Streets of Fire via Shout Factory perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks