What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Unforgiven, Full Metal Jacket 5/16 (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I can see FMJ getting a widescreen release even though Kubrick had a preference for 1:33:1 on TV. However i hope we never see a widesceen Robin Hood, or any other movie that was NEVER made for widescreen.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What happened to the original soundtrack???

Kubrick not only allowed 1.33:1 for "home" release because most homes were equipped with 1.33:1 displays, he also liked the height of the "full screen" framing.
Any 'stories' on the aspect ratio of this release?
Thanks.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Something's trippy in Denmark. I'm posting this here given that I'm arguably more likely to get a response here than in an SD FMJ thread.

I have the HD-D1 and a(n "older") Tosh 34" widescreen set that apparently prohibits aspect ratio control upon being fed anything higher than 480p (it locks into "Full" mode). After the FMJ HD froze up during play (like a schmuck, I didn't immediately return the Netflix rental upon seeing it was scratched), I requested a replacement and they mistakenly sent me the (remastered 2001) SD. Just for comparison, I spun excerpts in both the HD-D1 and my Pio 563A.

The disc plays at 1.33 in the Pio. The set is in the "Full" mode--no stretching or zooming of the picture. I literally marked where the grey black bars begin and the picture stops onscreen with Post Its. When I switch the disc to the HD-D1, the picture aspect is slightly wider. Call me crazy but it looks like 1.66. Again, this is with the set locked into the same mode I watch widescreen SD and HD DVDs at their proper aspect--I literally couldn't change it if I wanted to.

But on the HD-D1, the set renders a picture that is literally composed in a way that I can not recreate when playing back on the Pio, when the set's aspect ratio control options are: "Natural" (which forces whatever you feed it into a 4x3 aspect), one of three 1.78 widescreen modes which stretch/zoom the picture (only one of which approaches proper composition, but the zoom effect visibly degrades p.q.), or "Full" which is the proper setting for anamorphic stuff.

What's going on here? Why is the HD-D1 giving me a picture wider than 1.33 in its locked mode when 1.33 DVDs usually instead look like a very recognizable 4x3?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks