What's new

Unforgiven, Full Metal Jacket 5/16 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
as per high def digest.

WOOO HOOOO! FMJ was one of the first must have titles for me.
hopefully this means it won't be more than 2 weeks before we get some Batman (or Potter or Matrix...) goodnes as well.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Unforgiven on regular DVD three days ago. I can't imagine a better movie with a worse PQ, I really hope they've restored the film for its HD transfer.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

Which version did you watch? The early single disc version is pretty horrible, but the 2-disc special edition is very good.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
To add to Paul's post, here is the WB Press Release:
---------------------------------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

WARNER HOME VIDEO ROLLS OUT

TW0 MORE HD DVD TITLES

Full Metal Jacket and Unforgiven Debut May 16

Burbank, Calif., (May 8, 2006) - Warner Home Video (WHV) has announced the release of the next wave of HD DVD titles: Full Metal Jacket and Unforgiven debuting May 16. Both titles will be available for $28.99 SRP.

Full Metal Jacket is Stanley Kubrick's definitive film about the Vietnam War which follows an 18-year-old marine recruit -- from boot camp to heavy fighting during the 1968 Tet Offensive; Unforgiven is Clint Eastwood's classic Western which won 4 Academy Awards® including Best Picture.

All bonus materials on the Standard Definition versions of each of the two titles will be included on the HD DVD versions.

Warner Home Video HD DVDs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color in addition to beautifully crisp sound. HD DVD also provides a new level of interactivity, giving instant access to extra features with the debut of a seamless menu bar that allows viewers to enjoy features and settings without leaving or interrupting the film.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
good to see its $29.98 SRP and not $34.98 as some were reporting!

Off to Amazon to see if I can pre-order these yet.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Isn't FMJ a 1.33 aspect ratio film shot with a mono sound track? Hardly seems like the great demo material we'd like.

Regards

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
FULL METAL JACKET was remixed for its last DVD incarnation in 5.1 with the co-operation of the Kubrick estate, and was released theatrically with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. I believe the HD-DVD will be widescreen.

Regardless, even if it was mono and 1.33:1, that doesn't mean the film would automatically look or sound bad. And in the end, is this supposed to be about watching good movies in the best possible presentaion at home, or giving "demos" of your home theater system?

Incidentally, Robert Harris mentioned in another thread that WB is working on several non-widescreen classics (such as the 1930s Technicolor ROBIN HOOD) for HD-DVD release- it that automatically a bad thing, too, since those films will be mono and 1.33:1?

Vincent

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i still havent opened my 2 dvd spec ed.

guess its time to start ebaying some movies see what i can get for'em

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Full Metal Jacket is a bit curious. So the only extra will be what was on the previous disc - the trailer? Warners is supposed to be doing SEs of other Kubrick films later this year so I wonder whether if this title will be given an SE anytime so soon after an HD-DVD release.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Thanks Vincent.

Now is the 1.85 version of FMJ just a matted presentation of the 1.33 original?

I bring it up not so much for my own benefit, but for others since many people do believe that this was some big wide screen film with a kicking sound track when it wasn't presented like that in the theater.

Regards

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Michael:

Virtually *all* modern films using the 1.85 ratio are photographed full-frame and matted in theatres. FMJ was in mono in 1987 because Kubrick did not "trust" Dolby Stereo decoding and it had one of the best mono tracks I've ever heard. The 5.1 remix done a couple of years ago retains all of the impact of the mono while opening up the soundfield.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I did read that FMJ was going to be a 1.33:1 Full Frame release.

How is this going to transfer to HD DVD?
Is the player going to windowbox the movie or we will have to change the settings on our projection set up to watch the movie?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I don't understand why they would do that. Kubrick favored 1.33 for home video because that was the native aspect ratio of the format. Now that home video is 16:9 natively, releasing FMJ in a HD format at 1.33:1 would seem to actually go against Kubrick's wishes.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
There is a review of Full Metal Jacket up at High Def Digest. As per the review's disc specifications, this title is formatted @ 1.78:1

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
BTW, the review of Full Metal Jacket is fairly critical of the video on this disc, but considering that I really dislike the 1.33:1 framing of the current release, I'll probably add this to my collection simply for the letterbox formatting (which was how I saw the film theatrically so many years ago.)

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks