What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Unexpected Blu-Ray releases You've Been Delighted to See (1 Viewer)

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
I was surprised to see a UK Blu-ray release last year of a movie i have not seen in 40 years. The last time i saw The Playboy of the Western World (1962) was back in the late 1970's when it was shown on my local PBS station and as a kid i did like the film. Since then it was not shown on tv or released on any video format until last year when Network released a nice looking Blu-ray. Have it on my shelf and happy Network releasing it on disc.

View attachment 133639
I too was surprised when this one appeared on Blu-ray. But certainly considered it interesting enough to make a blind buy purchase. The vehicle itself was famous and I've always liked Gary Raymond. Enjoyed it for the most part. Raymond himself is fine. But I found Siobhan McKenna problematic as Pegeen. The performance seems overly informed by consciousness of her own eminent reputation as a great actress. I know she'd enjoyed considerable success on stage in a 1960 revival of the play. But onscreen the lady seems determined to deliver the dialogue's inherent poetry on stilts and steroids. What she does seems calibrated for the stage rather than the screen. Plus the actress was around forty when she made the picture - and looks every second of it. I believe her character's supposed to be about twenty. I'd have loved to see Sarah Miles tackle it a few years later.
Rest of the cast find a much more acceptable tone. Standout is an actress called Elspeth March, astonishingly good as a lusty tell it like it is widow with eyes for the Playboy. Every line comes out of her mouth as if she's living it - yet the raw beauty of the words constantly sings. I'd say she deserved a supporting actress nomination for this one. Had to look the lady up afterwards and learned she was the first Mrs. Stewart Granger (1938-48). What a couple of tigers these two must have been in their youth! The second Mrs. Granger was, as many here will know, the entrancing Jean Simmons. March seems to have sustained an illustrious stage career but made few films. Too bad. If this movie's any indication, she was quite a powerhouse onscreen.
Must add that Irish location filming adds a great deal of flavor to the movie. I'm glad I purchased it.

Last edited:

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Get Crazy (1982). Never thought this would drop on blu ray and certainly not with all the great extras.

Psychomania (1973)
FM (1978)
Melody (1971)
Dawn of the Dead Cannes Cut (in 4k!) (1978)

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
It has been so much fun to see some of these classic films released by Kino through Universal's acquisition of the pre-1948 Paramount library.
Never did I think I'd be able to watch restored copies of titles like CRIME OF THE CENTURY, DOUBLE DOOR, SUPERNATURAL and Universal's own release of SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM. Plus, we have Fu Manchu and Anna May Wong titles coming soon and Francis the Talking Mule as well.

Moleman X

Agent
Real Name
Rob Peace
Get Crazy (1982). Never thought this would drop on blu ray and certainly not with all the great extras.
This is the big one I wanted to mention! Between it being an Avco Embassy release and all the music, I was afraid it would be tied up in rights limbo. I was finally able to toss the blocky DVD-R I made from a long-ago Showtime airing. Used to watch it every New Year's, but couldn't take that picture quality once I got a projector. Tradition revived!

Some time ago, I spent months doing a soundtrack re-creation on Stormy Weather's distortion-riddled DVD, mixing in audio from the CD soundtrack. Came out pretty good - then, like one or two weeks later, Fox announced the restored BD! I like to think I was the karmic catalyst...

Lastly, despite its many flaws, I'm thrilled to have the Laurel & Hardy sound collection on Blu-ray.

anytimepally

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Häxan was a wonderful surprise for me. It's my favorite silent film. Criterion's 2010 DVD was a day 1 purchase, and I never thought they would upgrade it to Blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Several years quite without fanfare, Fox released three classics on Blu-ray: Woman's World and Sitting Pretty were two of them (I have forgotten the third one). They weren't perfect transfers, but they were still quite a surprise and most welcome. I had hopes they'd dig a little deeper into the vault and pull out Good Morning, Miss Dove, but other than the transfers they furnished to Twilight Time and Criterion, that was all we got.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Several years quite without fanfare, Fox released three classics on Blu-ray: Woman's World and Sitting Pretty were two of them (I have forgotten the third one). They weren't perfect transfers, but they were still quite a surprise and most welcome.
Coney Island was the third and definitely did not benefit from a perfect transfer.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One-Eyed Jacks was the first title I thought of, & then one of my favourite 50s war films Danger Within from Network in the UK (that one wasn't even out on DVD), & the US 50s war film The Naked & The Dead was a pleasant surprise. And after Universal released that great horror box set, for some reason I didn't think we'd get any of the sequels, so it was great reading reports of the forthcoming Legacy sets (I think the breaking news on the first releases were the Frankenstein & The Mummy sequels).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Coney Island was the third and definitely did not benefit from a perfect transfer.
Absolutely right. Yep, Fox didn't go to any great lengths to make any of the three special in terms of their looks (admittedly, Coney Island suffers from those inferior Eastmancolor elements Fox has to work with), but I thought Woman's World was in the best shape of the three. I also had hopes they'd do the other two Clifton Webb/Mr. Belvedere pictures, but that didn't happen either.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Tender Is The Night (1962) from France. A lovely anamorphic print and stereo sound. With Disney's purchase of Fox, there's no way in Hell this will get a R1 release.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Absolutely right. Yep, Fox didn't go to any great lengths to make any of the three special in terms of their looks (admittedly, Coney Island suffers from those inferior Eastmancolor elements Fox has to work with), but I thought Woman's World was in the best shape of the three. I also had hopes they'd do the other two Clifton Webb/Mr. Belvedere pictures, but that didn't happen either.
I agree about Woman's World and I find the picture quality to be good. The only reservation I have about that disc is the soundtrack is mono, not stereo.

A couple more releases that surprised and delighted me are Athena and Great Day In The Morning.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Some of these Warners are big surprises. Things like The Glass Bottom Boat and Penelope which didn't even make it to DVD. I don't even know if it made it to VHS. Anyway outside of me who wants these films? I imagine I'm the only person in the world who wants a bluray of Half a Sixpence(Yes I know Paramount which makes it all the more unlikely.)

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Some of these Warners are big surprises. Things like The Glass Bottom Boat and Penelope
As a teenager smitten with Natalie Wood, I remember returning time and time again in '66 to see "Penelope" in the cinema. That theme song performed by the Pennypipers was constantly in my head. And I still recall being disappointed when it didn't make the charts. In later years I've come to realize what an appallingly bad movie it is. An utterly unfunny comedy that only worked as something of a 60's fashion show and a chance to gawk at the star's beauty. Terrible script - and the supporting cast were either miscast (Ian Bannen) or betrayed by their material (Lila Kedrova and Jonathan Winters). Still enjoy John(y) Williams' score though. Bought the LP in '66 and upgraded when an expanded soundtrack appeared on CD.
Wood's other 1966 film "This Property is Condemned" (from Paramount) remains a far better souvenir of the lady's talents. Based on a short play by Tennessee Williams, it's a felicitous teaming of Wood and rising star Robert Redford. I'd rate this as my favorite of all Natalie Wood's performances. It's certainly a film I'd love to see on Blu-ray. Could happen. I think the names of Wood, Redford and Tennessee Williams still carry some weight with the the home media audience.
No reservations at all about "The Glass Bottom Boat" - another one I saw repeatedly in the cinema that same year. Lots of excellent physical comedy and Doris Day really gets into the spirit of things. I also think she looked her absolute best in the mid 60's - not bad for someone who'd been a movie star since the 40's. Day had a nice onscreen chemistry with Rod Taylor. And "The Glass Bottom Boat" also made the most of a prize gathering of comics in supporting roles. Dom DeLuise, Paul Lynde, Dick Martin and Alice Pearce are all in extra-fine fettle. This is a WAC Blu-ray I snagged the minute it was available.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
My mother took my sister and I to see Any Wednesday at radio city. Penelope was the film that followed it and I believe broke box office records. Not only does Natalie Wood look beautiful in it but I think it's the last movie where New York looks like an ultra-sophisticated glamorous place. This was also the time of Truman capote's black and white ball which people feel ended that era of New York being a glamorous playground. New York City started its descent into graffiti and grit I would say about 1967. But it did have its moments of old sparkle as when my father took me to see Airport at the Music Hall.

Nov 28th was Capote's ball as Penelope was playing at the Hall. I still have my copy wrapped but I will watch it as a time machine.

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Earlier this year i bought 2 1964 films- Bedtime Story with David Niven and Marlon Brando.The latter is very good in this comedy role.And also the Brass Bottle with Tony Randall which was the inspiration for I Dream of Jeannie.I am sure fans of this series want and need a redo of the terrible non HD blu ray set of this that came out a few months ago.Well I have the Sony dvd set to enjoy instead.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Earlier this year i bought 2 1964 films- Bedtime Story with David Niven and Marlon Brando.The latter is very good in this comedy role.And also the Brass Bottle with Tony Randall which was the inspiration for I Dream of Jeannie.I am sure fans of this series want and need a redo of the terrible non HD blu ray set of this that came out a few months ago.Well I have the Sony dvd set to enjoy instead.
It's fun to double up and compair Baedtime Story with the remake Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Both are good on thier own, both versions work well...but I like the ending on DRS better. I don't know if this was a Frank Oz decision or...?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I would have to say Akira Kurosowa's restored Ran in 4K. To me, that release just came out of nowhere. Someone told me about this film (which I hadn't seen), and months later there it was at Best Buy (in a Steelcase no less). I pounced on it, and it's a wonderful, beautiful, still-relevant film.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would have to say Akira Kurosowa's restored Ran in 4K. To me, that release just came out of nowhere. Someone told me about this film (which I hadn't seen), and months later there it was at Best Buy (in a Steelcase no less). I pounced on it, and it's a wonderful, beautiful, still-relevant film.
Any of Akira Kurisawa's movies are a must for anyones collections. I got hooked way back with the Seven Samurai, Thrown of Blood and Hidden Fortress in the art movie houses back in the 70s in Los Angeles. And reconnected later on, I don't remember is it was showtime or...ran classic Smaurai films on saturdays back in the 90s. Showing many of these wonderful films, as well as the Zatoichi movies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks