What's new

Uncharted (2022) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this last night and I thought it was a decent action film that kept me entertained all night. I know nothing about the game so I can't comment on how good of an adaptation it was.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We watched this last night and while we mostly had a good time, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped based on the trailers.

The special effects were excellent. Nothing looked overtly "special effects house-y".

Nate bounces off of objects like a freaking Looney Tunes characters and never even suffers a scratch.

I agree the FX were mostly pretty good, but there were a couple of instances where Nate was "bouncing off objects" and I thought the FX did make it look kind of cartoon-ish as it seems like it was completely CG in some instances. It reminded me of some scenes in the earlier pre-Holland Spider-Man films where the CG was pretty obvious in the way the character moved.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I agree the FX were mostly pretty good, but there were a couple of instances where Nate was "bouncing off objects" and I thought the FX did make it look kind of cartoon-ish as it seems like it was completely CG in some instances. It reminded me of some scenes in the earlier pre-Holland Spider-Man films where the CG was pretty obvious in the way the character moved.

My comment didn't relate to the believability of the FX.

My comment addressed the lack of realism related to the way the movie abuses the character but he never suffers any actual harm.

Yeah, I know it's a movie. I know action movies trivialize potential injuries all the time - people regularly get walloped by cars and run off like nothing happened.

But this one just went farther in that regard than most, and for me, it became a distraction. The level of probable pain inflicted on Nate that he takes with a shrug just seems silly!

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
But this one just went farther in that regard than most, and for me, it became a distraction. The level of probable pain inflicted on Nate that he takes with a shrug just seems silly!
That's the video game influencing the movie too much. What's cool and fun in a video game is not always cool and fun in a movie. Something Hollywood still hasn't learned.

CAlford

Auditioning
Real Name
Cedric Alford
I'm surprised at how much people like this one, considering the track record of video game movies. Good for the people who worked on it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not too many game-based domestic blockbusters. This is the Top 10 Domestic/North America grosses:

1652720280943.png

There are some further down the list that did big numbers internationally, but not as well in NA, such as Warcraft (2016), at $439 million worldwide (only $47 million NA), and several of the Resident Evil films that were around $300 million worldwide (usually $40-60 million NA).

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/sources/based-on-game

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not too many game-based domestic blockbusters. This is the Top 10 Domestic/North America grosses:

View attachment 138681

There are some further down the list that did big numbers internationally, but not as well in NA, such as Warcraft (2016), at $439 million worldwide (only $47 million NA), and several of the Resident Evil films that were around $300 million worldwide (usually $40-60 million NA).

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-records/domestic/all-movies/sources/based-on-game

Kinda crazy that 21-year-old "Tomb Raider" still ranks so high on that list. Adjusted for inflation, it's clearly the biggest hit of the bunch in the US.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's the video game influencing the movie too much. What's cool and fun in a video game is not always cool and fun in a movie. Something Hollywood still hasn't learned.
Huh? How do you figure? In the video game it was pretty easy to get killed and IIRC there is an entire sequence where Nate is badly injured and the player has to get him to safety.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Kinda crazy that 21-year-old "Tomb Raider" still ranks so high on that list. Adjusted for inflation, it's clearly the biggest hit of the bunch in the US.

That's Angelina's star power for yah... although her star was still just rising at that point...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks