What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg star in the movie adaptation of Sony’s popular video game franchise Uncharted.

Uncharted (2022)

Released: 18 Feb 2022
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 116 min

Director: Ruben Fleischer
Genre: Action, Adventure

Cast: Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg, Antonio Banderas
Writer(s): Rafe Judkins, Art Marcum, Matt Holloway

Plot: Street-smart Nathan Drake is recruited by seasoned treasure hunter Victor "Sully" Sullivan to recover a fortune amassed by Ferdinand Magellan, and lost 500 years ago by the House of Moncada.

IMDB rating: 6.6
MetaScore: 45

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1...

Continue reading...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Could not agree more.

My take is that -

A. The video games were better, with characters that worked as part of the storyline;

B. The game characters knew why they were there;

C. Someone decided to make live action sequences appear as if part of a video game. The chase across rooftops is a perfect example;

D. Makes me long for the screenplays of Robert Bolt.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
After watching the 4K disc last night and agreeing with all the above comments, I decided to revamp a post left months ago on another Uncharted thread...

The Uncharted games were a huge success and had a major crossover following because of their cinematic style. The "cut scene" movies that gamers post on line by recording their game play, can be almost as engaging as many feature films!

As mentioned above, it's hard to get past the absolutely wrong casting of Tom Holland as Nathan Drake and Mark Wahlberg as Sully...not because of acting, but because they cannot possibly fill the shoes of existing iconic characters.
This was an opportunity for Sony Playstation to create a new form of entertainment. Budgets could have exceeded the costs for either a top notch game or action film by combining efforts. Sony could have taken CG feature filmmaking several steps above the best cut scene quality of Uncharted 4, knowing that after a theatrical run, the digital film file would be re-formated for Playstation gaming in addition to streaming and physical media.
As such, the story could be enjoyed as a movie, or the entire plotline could be put up for grabs by experiencing Uncharted in gaming mode.

As for the use of CG art in telling stories, the emotionally charged moments between Nathan and Elena Drake in Uncharted 4 border on smoldering, and that's using 6 year old CG technology!
Photo-realistic CG personalities and character development is not so far fetched any more, and sooner or later it will happen, inviting audiences to explore areas only quickly brushed by in live action films.
Hit games like Uncharted make the same profit as high grossing action features, so profit potential on a new age double product could be huge as its target is two vast established audiences.
Also, unlike a certain action star going at it again at age 78, Nathan Drake would be digitally available to play future roles in prime condition.

If all this sounds crazy, or if you're not familiar with the cinematic look of the Uncharted "cut scenes", do look up one of the many on-line "Uncharted cut scene movies". (Especially from the technically advanced Uncharted 4.)
Versions range from an hour to over 6 hours based on the ingenuity of the gamers who post them.
Don't harshly judge the funky game action created by the players...focus on Sony's story driven animation and acting. Then imagine what it might look like if funding was enough to create a fully convincing adventure film co-existing along side the immersive and variable gaming world.
A true missed opportunity on Sony's part to bring iconic characters to life and perhaps start a new era of entertainment in a modern world shaking off old conventions!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
If all this sounds crazy, or if you're not familiar with the cinematic look of the Uncharted "cut scenes", do look up one of the many on-line "Uncharted cut scene movies". (Especially from the technically advanced Uncharted 4.)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I had intended to buy the 4k disc but decided to stream it on Prime. Maybe it's me, but like other films I have seen lately (eg. Death on the Nile, Jungle Cruise) it seems underpowered. Until recently I hadn't realised it was based on a video game, I asked my son about it and he said it was on the Playstation whereas he (and his friends) are Xbox aficionados. I agree about the casting, and couldn't see past Tom's youthful Spiderman character, but the one instance that took me completely out of the film was lifting a several hundred year old ship by helicopter. I think my problem with these contemporary films is their utter reliance on (often bad) CGI. One of the (many) reasons I like Tenet is that it was real location stunt work. I know that these types of film are not made for me, but I couldn't persuade my teenage son to watch it. He was vindicated when I told him it was a 2 out of 5!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks