What's new

Pre-Order Uncharted (2022) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
1B351900-6C91-4EF4-A598-6548BB3EBFA1.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I still do not understand what Sony was trying to do with this movie. It seemed like it was designed to appeal to nobody in particular, especially since the casting is very odd, as is the decision to make it a prequel. Apparently, I wasn't that wrong in my assessment, given the middling reviews and indifference at the box office. I might check it out at some point, just because I do love the games, but I certainly won't be blind buying it at new release prices.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I still do not understand what Sony was trying to do with this movie. It seemed like it was designed to appeal to nobody in particular, especially since the casting is very odd, as is the decision to make it a prequel. Apparently, I wasn't that wrong in my assessment, given the middling reviews and indifference at the box office. I might check it out at some point, just because I do love the games, but I certainly won't be blind buying it at new release prices.
I wouldn't call the casting odd. They simply chose to ignore what the video game depicts and cast two stars as the leads and one of which is very popular with teen girls (a market fairly untapped for dumb action junk) and Marvel fans. No doubt that's led to a bigger grossing movie than catering to fans of the game would have.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There is no "indifference" at the box office. Almost all analysis I've seen considers this to be a very strong opening, having overperformed most early predictions. I believe it's also the biggest opening weekend for any film in the past six months aside from the two Marvel-centric films, Spider-Man: No Way Home and The Eternals, and the Marvel-adjacent Venom 2, and no one expected this to ever approach a Marvel-sized debut (few other films do).

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Hang on, Amazon is selling a steelbook for $75?

I thought Best Buy's $34.99 was outrageous.

I believe it's also the biggest opening weekend for any film in the past six months aside from the two Marvel-centric films, Spider-Man: No Way Home and The Eternals, and the Marvel-adjacent Venom 2
I think Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings opened higher over Labor Day, but that also falls under the Marvel banner.

I agree that Sony will be extremely pleased with these results for this film.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Middling? It made 44 million in its opening weekend which exceeded expectations. Whether it will maintain a relatively good box office pace is anyone's guess.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings opened higher over Labor Day, but that also falls under the Marvel banner.
The closest comparable non-Marvel related debuts in that period would probably be Halloween Kills and No Time To Die, but both of those are also sequels in long-running popular franchises.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not really. It was right on the edge.

And No Way Home just made a billion dollars so the whole "Pandemic-Era" shtick has run its course. Movies flop because they flop. Simple as that.
SONY isn't considering it to be a flop because it beat their estimated box office returns.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Doesn't mean a hill of beans if the film takes a 70% week 2 nose dive. Needs $300M to break even.
Well that's a week away, so why don't we not worry about it for now and spread fake news before it happens.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not really. It was right on the edge.
It was before theaters shut down, when Covid in America was not seen as a big threat. I think that qualifies as a different era.
And No Way Home just made a billion dollars so the whole "Pandemic-Era" shtick has run its course.
I absolutely disagree with that. No Way Home is the big exception that proves the rule. We are still very much in the pandemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks