What's new

Uh-Oh... three WB (film) HR discs somewhat sloppily upconverted to 1080p!!! (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You're right, I had worded my earlier comments that way.

I knew that LOST was shot on film but had thought that Desperate housewives was shot on 24p HD, though my comments lumped them in together. On the special features of the DVD sets the creators talk about 24fps as the "film look" that they were trying to create (the main point I was getting at though I mistakenly said 24p video rather than 24fps film).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I'm really surprised that more TV shows aren't shot on 24p HD video as a budget saving measure. I know the 4th season of Enterprise they switched from film to HD and were saving something like 3 million a season. And honestly I couldn't see much of a difference from season 3 to season 4.

Doug

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if Warner has corrected their HD-DVD releases of "THE PERFECT STORM" and "THE FUGITIVE" ?

Thanks!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
They have not. It would have required an entirely new film-to-digital transfer.

I'd expect a corrected version to appear on a future special-edition HD release of some kind.

Keep in mind that while not ideal, if you have a 720p display you might not notice much difference. The folks who'll see the most difference are those with full 1080p resolution displays with proper deinterlacing or real 1080p outuput from their players.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks David. That's really helpful! I currently have a 720p display so I will pick them up anyway and hope that Warner correct them down the line while I save for a 1080p display.

Do you know if the European or Aussie versions would have corrected transfers? I assume not as they probably use the same versions as the US.

Thanks again!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
All versions in all regions suffered from the same problem since they all shared the same basic film-to-digital transfer (which was where the interlacing problems began in these cases).

Since even with "bobbed" deinterlacing on the HD versions it looks better than the DVD, if you only have a 720P display (like me too) I'd recommend enjoying it now as you're probably watching lots of "bobbed" content on your dispaly anyway (with my PS3 only outputting 1080i, all my HD material gets "bobbed" on my 720P projector... grrr). Just keep mental track so when you finally upgrade to a 1080p display you're ready to pick up whatever pristine version may be released at that time. Hopefully WB won't make us wait too long!

dave :)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Revived this thread because it also relates to the "Dirty Dancing: Twentieth Anniversary Edition" Blu-ray disc.

Viewed "Dirty Dancing: Twentieth Anniversary Edition" Blu-ray last night and I was very disappointed by the lack of a 1080P film-like look.:frowning:

The information I read said the source was from a "newly remastered 1.85:1 widescreen 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer", but IMO, the source material must have been a video source, NOT film.:confused:
On my 110" screen, the combing blemishes were so obvious that I felt like it was a slap in the face each time the major blemishes appeared. Massive moire patterns on the wood slatted sides of the studio bungalow, to the close-up in a particular scene with Jennifer Grey as her profile had stair-stepping that was moving up and down the edges of her nose, like an escalator, as she moved her head!:angry:

Peter Bracke's review, link, mentioned, "there is some serious edginess at times, enough that I was distracted by the "jaggies" often.", which is unfortunately accurate. He also states: "The good news is that this is easily the best this movie has ever looked.":eek:

On a 34" screen or less; Maybe?:rolleyes

"At the same time, however, some issues inherent to the source material seem to prevent this title from benefiting all that much from the jump to high-definition." BINGO!

Is it possible to get stair-stepping from a progressive source? Isn't this an interlace artifact?:confused:

Paul

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
paul, we're @the beginning of HD media transfers. just like SD-DVD had questionable looks initially back in the late 90's, so do HD discs. give it 3-4 years and everything will start looking pristine =D.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

are you watching in full 1080p? I've noticed that downconversion to 720P on my PJ sometimes produces jaggies that aren't in the actual transfer.

If it's really in the transfer, that's really a shame. Reviving this thread in that case would make sense. Only an improper film-to-digital encode would produce jaggies in 1080p60.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand

I'm running the PS3 @ 1080i/60 to my Lexicon MC12 HD sound processor. The Lexicon video circuitry can't handle a 1080P signal.:frowning: Lexicon 1080i/60 hdmi output to a DVDO VP50 video processor (software V1.04) that only deinterlaces the signal (No scaling in this process.) to 1080P/60 hdmi out, sent to an hdmi 1080P Ruby projector.

With this setup, I have never noticed artifacts like "stair-stepping" with a 1080P/60 "film source" since playing DVD media.

David,
After your post, I ran a direct video hdmi connection from the PS3 @ 1080P to the Ruby, to check for any visual change in the artifact structures, but the artifacts are still there, permanently encoded in the software on the Blu-ray disc.:frowning:

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks