What's new

Tyson - Etienne fight (Spoilers!) (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I wonder whether the outcome would have been different if boxing operated under a "winner takes all" (or winner takes 90%) policy. It's one of the things that makes boxing more entertainment than sport. Tiger Woods generates much of the revenue for the various tournaments he enters, yet he still needs to earn his prize money. Perhaps Etienne would have tried harder if he stood a chance at winning $5 million. (Though he was likely outclassed anyway.)

There is an upcoming fight with Oscar De LaHoya in which Oscar will be paid much more than his opponent, even though the opponent beat him the first time!

(Going back to golf, I think the Skins Game would be much more interesting if they were gambling their own money as opposed to playing for a pool of free money.)

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I think it was a good shot and dazed him a bit, but I defiantley think he could have got up. He did not look out of it, at all. That said, I think the fight still might have ended that round or in the begining og the 2nd. It seemed pretty clear he was going to get destroyed, at least with the approach he as taking.

It seems to me that way to beat Tyson would be to stick around for 3-5 rounds. If you survive the initial onslaught, he'll likely be too tired to fight anymore.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
A good jab that keeps Tyson away (like Lennox Lewis peppered him with) is the easy way to beat up on Tyson.

In another rambling press conference by Tyson, he slipped and said that he like getting high and being with his kids. :D

Tyson now is just fighting to make money with nary a sense of boxing history and his place in it. He will sidestep the true contenders and will just fight the lower end of the ranked boxers just to get one more big payday as a aging boxer with eroded skills.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Tyson now is just fighting to make money with nary a sense of boxing history and his place in it. He will sidestep the true contenders and will just fight the lower end of the ranked boxers just to get one more big payday as a aging boxer with eroded skills.
or someone will come up with a catchy slogan and he'll endorse some shoddy kitchen appliances :)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
or someone will come up with a catchy slogan and he'll endorse some shoddy kitchen appliances
The last thing I bought with his name attached to it was Punch-Out for my Nintendo Entertainment System.

That was way before his wife-beating-convicted-rapist-ear-chewing-walking-disaster days.

While I have no problem buying something with George Foreman's name attached to it (his Grilling Machine is Great!), I'll never contribute a penny to lining Tyson's pockets. That includes paying to see one of his fights. :thumbsdown:

Boxing's become too un-regulated. The fact that we can stand here and debate the "did he or didn't he" of throwing the fight is proof that the sport needs an overhaul.

Moe.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
really? I have one of the older forman's and am not terribly fond of it. But that's a whole other thread.. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Winner take all" prizes (or minus training expenses) would cure the "Did he or didn't he take a fall?" questions. :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Just to play devil's advocate here:

Tiger Woods and other golfers would definitely have a "pay-for-play" scheme if every match had the potential to be their last one ever and a post-game night in the hospital was standard practice. Boxing is a rough, cruel sport on the body guys -- you either make your money while you are young or you forget about it. Imagine only paying Rugby or Football teams if they won each game, it just isn't fair to those athletes that risk so much anyway.

For punches, I agree with Scott. Have trained in Aikido for 5 years and although we don't primarily use strikes, I've taken some licks. You can't tell with the naked eye exactly how hard or how damaging a punch was unless you really know what you are looking for. I got hit once between the upper lip and lower nose area (don't know what you call it), it's a big nerve center in the face, with a set of fingertips and my eyes were watering and seeing stars for a good 5 mins. Had to stop practice and sit down for a bit, and that wasn't even a punch. The point is something that looks small or weak, if it is true and well placed, can completely floor you. Didn't see the fight, but I'm pretty sure E was either chocking on his tongue or just took out his mouthpiece to breathe and stay conscious.

Tyson may be out of prime, but he is still a knockout fighter. Not only in strength but he also knows where to deliver his punch for maximum effect to the opponent's head. He's always been good at that...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks