Tyson - Etienne fight (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Tyson "knocks out" Etienne in 49 seconds of the first round.

If that wasn't a dive, I don't know what was.

I was also wondering if he was knocked out, where did he get the idea to take out his mouthpiece. Most fighters wanting to get up to fight some more want a mouthpiece inside their mouth, but it was clear that Etienne was done (though he did almost blow out his right knee with that awkward fall to the canvas).

And what the hell was Tyson talking about? It's okay to fight fighters who'll take a fall, but he doesn't want to take a pounding by fighting Lennox Lewis? And all that crap about fighters disrespecting other fighters by not fighting them, and Tyson does the exact same thing by wanting to duck Lewis (or never fight him)?

The whole broken back thing was also bizarre.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

49 seconds? What a waste of the hype. [​IMG] Tonya Harding's fight was probably more entertaining.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

What's the broken back thing?

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

He "broke" his back in a motorcycle accident. Right. I believe him

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Who broke who's back and when? This is one story I just completely missed.

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Tyson said during the post-fight interview with Jim Gray that he had a broken back. I was cracking up... it was clear that Gray was having a tough time not laughing as well! That's half the entertainment in this bizarre, bastardized 'sport' though...

Seemed like a good hit and that Tyson would have pummeled him. But it still looked like an obvious dive.

Oh well... had some friends over and watched in HD, so I can live.

And I can't help being Tyson fan (not personally, but as a spectacle and as a fighter)... I'm 23, and grew up mesmerized (largely thanks to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!) by him.

7. Michael St. Clair

Broken back my ass.

And it sure looked like a dive to me.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

So did some people have to pay for this fight on PPV?!?! That would be like a dollar a second. [​IMG]

9. Michael St. Clair

Looked great in HD, but I wouldn't pay for it.

10. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I took the broken back thing as a joke. Or it could have been a layman woefully mangling a medical dianosis which could have been anything fron a slip disc to a cracked vertebrate.

11. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    The local news just showed the knockout punch and it was pathetic. Let's put it this way: If Tyson's opponent knew that he wouldn't get paid unless he lasted three rounds would he have gone down like that? Absolutely not. That's why boxing is on the decline while WWE is as popular as ever. Everybody knows that wrestling is fake but whether it's ppv or live you'll get a couple hours of entertainment.

12. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I'm definitely in the minority here; I don't think Etienne took a drive.

Going into the fight there was a lot of talk that Etienne could not take a punch so guess what happened? We found out that the talk was true.

Also, I honestly think that most of those who are talking about a drive have absolutely no idea how hard heavy weight boxers really hit.

Of course it is just my opinion but I find far to often guys tend to think that there isn't much difference between the pick up sports they play and the pros. This leads them to lose perspective when viewing sporting events. Fortunately from experience I know better but that’s another story.

13. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

One more thing, I do have to give Tyson credit, he knows that he is not good enough right now to fight Lewis. Some may call that ducking I just call it being honest.

14. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

When Tyson ko'd Buster Douglas that was a short but entertaining fight. There was no doubt about the power behind that punch. While Tyson hit hit Etienne with a decent shot what I saw was a fighter who didn't even try to get up. But what difference does it make whether Etienne took a dive or if he was chosen as Tyson's opponent because he can't take a punch?

15. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I feel sorry for people who paid for it. BTW do you know if it was live on Showtime or if it was delayed.

16. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I'll throw in my two cents:

I've trained at a World Champion Kickboxing school for seven years, and I know a good punch when I see one. Tyson's right hand that knocked out his opponent was a damn good one. People have some crazy behavioral reactions after getting knocked out as well, you can't say someone threw a fight simply because he took out his mouthpiece. There's no way the guy threw the fight- he was simply in over his head and he knew it. Tyson has been out of his prime for years, and the only opponent I am looking forward to him going up against is Vladimir Klitschko (sp?). I'd love to see Tyson's ass on the canvas again before he retires, and Klitschko should have no problem putting it there.

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

18. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It was live on Showtime and the first time Showtime or HBO have done a boxing match in HD. Perhaps a poor choice of fights for their first attempt at boxing in HD, but one that was sure to have plenty of viewers.

19. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Yep Etienne took a dive. How many people take out a mouth guard on the way down.

Brent

20. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Small correction, he was on his back when he took out the mouthpiece.