What's new

Two amps or 1 (1 Viewer)

Bedazzled

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Herrington
New to the forum, hello everyone!

I’ve always been an audiophile but pretty new to the home theatre scene. I’ve had a Marantz SR4023 driving a pair of Focal 726 for years and totally loved the setup. The receiver is 2 channel 80 watts/channel. Our new house doesn’t support 2 separate listening areas so my old home theatre in a box has been thrown out. I replaced the AVR with a Marantz 6013, moved the Focals next to the TV and bought a REL T7 and a Focal CC700 centre. I’ve got a pair of Flatline Acoustic 8.5” in ceilings that used to be my zone 2 speakers that I’ll likely use & maybe a pair of Krix for the rears. I’m thinking I’ll set up a 9.1 later (maybe).

I don’t understand how power distribution works in a multichannel receiver.

My question is, should I use the old 2 channel (SR4023) amp to drive the 2 fronts? Should I use it for another set of speakers or should I use the 6013 all by itself?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 4023 is a rare receiver that has a pre-out/main in loop, so you actually could use it simply as a power amp, but what you might gain isn't anything you'd ever hear. So, I'd just run the whole system off the 6013. BTW, it can cause confusion to use the terms receiver and amp interchangeably. Receivers have amps in them, but they're not the same thing.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and I'm Mr. "external amp, more and better power is better" guy, so if I thought there was any real benefit to using both receivers, believe me, I'd say so.

Bedazzled

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Herrington
...and I'm Mr. "external amp, more and better power is better" guy, so if I thought there was any real benefit to using both receivers, believe me, I'd say so.
Thanks JR for the honest answer. I didn’t include this in the original post but I hooked both up & had a listen then listened with just the 6013 and couldn’t tell a difference. I thought maybe my ears were broken.

Bedazzled

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Herrington
BTW, it can cause confusion to use the terms receiver and amp interchangeably. Receivers have amps in them, but they're not the same thing.
Thanks for the correction, I’ll keep this in mind for future posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks