What's new

tv wont display color, but the menu's are fine (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
my old tv which i donated to my parents is suddenly displaying only black and white, or if there is any color it is washed out big time, the picture was fine an hour ago but now its messed up. the thing which struck me as really odd was that the menu's are still perfect when i raise or lowere the volume and such the reds and greens are perfect.

any ideas?

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
If you're using a S-VIdeo cable it could be a broken pin.

If you're using a Component Cable make sure the red and blue wires are connected properly (And not reversed)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
ummm well its an old tv, coax only, i figure it will need to be replaced, but thats still not a plesant option.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Sounds like a bad connection to me, though I'm no service tech. I'd sure try replacing the cable.

Jan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
All indications are that the TV itself is fine. I agree to check the cabling coming into the TV. What happens when you use another type of cable from the DVD player (composite, s-video, component)?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well therein lies the problem, its an old tv and only has an RF input. and last night i swapped it out for another old tv we had lying around and that one is workign fine witht he same connections...... It looks like it is the tv, oh well time to try and find a new one for a reasonable price.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Turn the color level back up. . . Did you inadvertantly turn the color down? Reminds me of the cat stepping on the mute button, thought there was a big problem, couldnt understant, 150 dollars later when the service man picked up the remote and pushed mute, felt pretty silly? ? ?

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ah Jan you dont need to convince me, my parents however are another story :) but they are leaning towards a new one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks