What's new

TV cuts of films with deleted scenes. (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's probably a lot of it.

Also, didn't Crowe have a good relationship with the (then-former) members of Led Zep?

Maybe I recall incorrectly, but I thought he used that relationship to get access to the song. If that's right, then it's possible he didn't have the same connection to the Stones.

Or maybe he just didn't want to use Stones music in the movie!

Also felt vaguely odd that there's no Van Halen in the film since they get mentioned as well...
I think Heckerling says on the commentary that they wanted different music (I assume new wave-type stuff since it was 1982) but the producers wanted bands like The Eagles.

I have the soundtrack on vinyl (mostly as a 'collectible' of the movie) but I'd argue that the best songs in the movie aren't on the soundtrack. Tom Petty, The Cars, the better song from The Go-Gos, and understandably Led Zeppelin are all MIA.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Heckerling says on the commentary that they wanted different music (I assume new wave-type stuff since it was 1982) but the producers wanted bands like The Eagles.

I have the soundtrack on vinyl (mostly as a 'collectible' of the movie) but I'd argue that the best songs in the movie aren't on the soundtrack. Tom Petty, The Cars, the better song from The Go-Gos, and understandably Led Zeppelin are all MIA.

I'm sure record label desires played a part.

It would be interesting to imagine a "Fast Times" soundtrack that accurately reflected what those kids would've actually been listening to circa 1981-82!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I read through this thread, and didn’t see this mentioned- in Smokey And The Bandit, I seem to remember a short scene in broadcast version, but isn’t on the DVD or BluRay version. Cletus’s dog Fred decides to take a little swim when they have to get back on the road. On the video versions, Cletus calls after him, and that’s it. On the TV version, there’s a scene of Cletus in the pond, carrying Fred out, and the Bandit giving him guff over the CB. Anyone else remember this?

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy

[Sidney Lumet's Prince of the City] is a great picture and one I am very excited about picking up. It looks like this is the theatrical cut and I believe there is an even longer version that maybe was a TV cut. I'll have to look it up now.
This is from IMDB:

The film originally premiered on TV in a version broadcast over 4 hours (running no longer than 196 minutes), including previously unseen material which had been cut from the 167-minute theatrical release. Among the restored scenes is one that makes more sense of the DiBenadetto Case (the character Ciello's first rat-job).

It would be amazing if they could release both versions. I think the TV version was the first one I saw.

M. Craig Siegel

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Kurland
IIIRC, I remember a scene at the end of the tv version where the power-stripped kryptonians were arrested and shoved into a paddy wagon.

When I watched Superman II other times over the years, I was wondering what happened to that paddy wagon scene.
The scene was filmed by original director Richard Donner before he was replaced. It can be found in the "additional scenes" section on both the DVD and Blu-Ray of the "Donner Cut" of Superman II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks