What's new

TV cuts of films with deleted scenes. (6 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
first time I saw Poltergeist was on televisions with that version of the scene. When I finally did see the real version of it on VHS, it was like ”Holy Shit!” I think I rewound it like 10 times
I first saw Halloween on TV, taped it and watched it a bunch of times and due to only seeing the TV edit, I thought The Shape choked Bob to death. A few years later, I saw the real version of the movie on VHS and I was shocked when he pulled out the knife & stabbed him and so creeped out by him just standing there looking at him.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I first saw Halloween on TV, taped it and watched it a bunch of times and due to only seeing the TV edit, I thought The Shape choked Bob to death. A few years later, I saw the real version of the movie on VHS and I was shocked when he pulled out the knife & stabbed him and so creeped out by him just standing there looking at him.

Same with me. and also with Annie actually getting her throat slashed instead of just being strangled. and also when Laurie stabbed Michael instead of just the coat hanger in the eye. Also was a surprise when the tv scenes shot during the production of H2 failed to appear

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Same with me. and also with Annie actually getting her throat slashed instead of just being strangled. and also when Laurie stabbed Michael instead of just the coat hanger in the eye. Also was a surprise when the tv scenes shot during the production of H2 failed to appear
Yep. I wondered why the TV scenes were deleted until the laserdisc when I found out that they weren't in the original version of the movie.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
NEEDFUL THINGS, the film version of Stephen King's novel, got a four-hour miniseries cut that aired on TBS in the late-1990s and was never released on video in the U.S. It allegedly appears as an extra on the German Blu-Ray.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
NEEDFUL THINGS, the film version of Stephen King's novel, got a four-hour miniseries cut that aired on TBS in the late-1990s and was never released on video in the U.S. It allegedly appears as an extra on the German Blu-Ray.

Thanks, I didn't know about this cut! And checking, you are correct, it is available as an extra on this release and reviews say it looks great.

246791_large.jpg

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Here are the deleted scenes from The Warriors (these should have been included in the Ultimate Director's Cut release from 2005):

VERY very cool...I had never heard of or seen these cut scenes before...and I JUST watched the theatrical cut on DVD the other night.

I agree that these should have been included in the Ultimate Director's Cut...instead of that travesty we got with the comic panels insertion. Don't know what Hill was thinking, but it definitely ruined the pacing and narrative of this film; I had bought the Director's Cut when it came out but sold it to someone on an online forum because I couldn't stand the changes Hill made to it (though I appreciated the audio jump from the 2.0 Dolby Digital mono to 5.1 surround).

As it stands, I watch and prefer my theatrical cut DVD of this film. Paramount never put out a Blu-ray of JUST the theatrical version, did they?

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
What is different about this TV version of that scene in Poltergeist? I'm not really seeing it...
Helps if you watch the scenes side by side - or one after the other, I believe you can see that it's a slightly different take - different movements actually. I'd never seen this before.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Helps if you watch the scenes side by side - or one after the other, I believe you can see that it's a slightly different take - different movements actually. I'd never seen this before.
I'll take your word for it, good friend; just looking at it, seems the actor doesn't behave differently from the theatrical version I'm used to...

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'll take your word for it, good friend; just looking at it, seems the actor doesn't behave differently from the theatrical version I'm used to...

....so I just watched the clip again....I forgot, ok: It's not the whole sequence...just moments @ the ending part. The TV moments are definitely different at 1:45 - 1:52 .....those later moments in the sequence, Adam, I believe are not in the theatrical release. But the TV version doesn't include all the face peeling of the theatrical. Both are equally gross, though. All the other components of the scene in the clip was the same as the theatrical release, imho :emoji_spy:

TV scene again, but cued up:

Theatrical clip, cued up

....yuck .....I'd rather watch her run down that crazy, extending hallway

1606370694241.png

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
....so I just watched the clip again....I forgot, ok: It's not the whole sequence...just moments @ the ending part. The TV moments are definitely different at 1:45 - 1:52 .....those later moments in the sequence, Adam, I believe are not in the theatrical release. But the TV version doesn't include all the face peeling of the theatrical. Both are equally gross, though. All the other components of the scene in the clip was the same as the theatrical release, imho :emoji_spy:

TV scene again, but cued up:

Theatrical clip, cued up

....yuck .....I'd rather watch her run down that crazy, extending hallway

View attachment 82409

Well, ANY angle of JoBeth's delicious ass is worth watching.... :eek: :banana::rock::dance:

Sorry....was distracted.....what were we talking about?

Ah, yes...the differences in the face-peeling.....I'll have to re-watch.....thanks Jim.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
VERY very cool...I had never heard of or seen these cut scenes before...and I JUST watched the theatrical cut on DVD the other night.

I agree that these should have been included in the Ultimate Director's Cut...instead of that travesty we got with the comic panels insertion. Don't know what Hill was thinking, but it definitely ruined the pacing and narrative of this film; I had bought the Director's Cut when it came out but sold it to someone on an online forum because I couldn't stand the changes Hill made to it (though I appreciated the audio jump from the 2.0 Dolby Digital mono to 5.1 surround).

As it stands, I watch and prefer my theatrical cut DVD of this film. Paramount never put out a Blu-ray of JUST the theatrical version, did they?

S;

I'm glad you enjoyed the deleted scenes. While an HD version of thew theatrical cut is/was available on several streaming services, no Blu-ray of the theatrical cut has been released in Region A. They did re-release the theatrical cut on DVD on 3/24/20.

Sean

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
S;

I'm glad you enjoyed the deleted scenes. While an HD version of thew theatrical cut is/was available on several streaming services, no Blu-ray of the theatrical cut has been released in Region A. They did re-release the theatrical cut on DVD on 3/24/20.

Sean
Thanks Sean.

Guess we're gonna have to hold out for a proper Blu or UHD Blu of the theatrical version (though, to be honest, my original Paramount anamorphic DVD of the title looks more than fine, even upscaled to 4K)...

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Additional titles with deleted TV material:

Jaws - Network TV cut trimmed the gore and added deleted scenes of Quint buying piano wire at a music store and taunting a kid practicing the clarinet. Also some longer versions of other scenes and an alternate take of Brody and Cassidy talking on the beach before the discovery of the body. These deleted scenes/alternates are in the DVD/Blu-Ray supplemental sections.

Jaws 2 - Network TV cut included deleted scenes such as Mayor Vaughn voting against the firing of Brody and an underwater perspective shot of the shark attack on the trapped helicopter pilot. Scenes included in the DVD/Blu-Ray supplemental sections.

JAWS: THE REVENGE has a TV cut has features footage that was taken out for good reason, and a hilarious "extended" ending that mostly uses repeated footage (a la the TV version of DUNE) and a lot more shark roaring. None of this footage, that I'm aware of, have ever resurfaced.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Dances With Wolves was also aired as a two-part miniseries, but the bizarre thing is that the TV cut has been the only one available in the US for the past twenty years or so. I had to buy the theatrical cut from the UK.

I think the only BD of the theatrical cut of Dances was a single Shout steelbox boxset that's OOP.

That wasn't a TV cut. It was an extended version prepared by Kevin Costner about a year after the movie came out. It had a theatrical release in the UK but never got one in the U.S. The ABC broadcast of DWW is a slightly shortened version of the extended cut.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
NBC ran an extended version of the Tim Conway/Don Knotts classic "The Private Eyes" in 1984. Nearly 8 minutes of material was added to fill the 2-hour slot and, otherwise, the film looks to be the "international" cut that eliminates the peaches-in-the-pantry scene (present in the US theatrical version), a shot that reveals an empty cupboard where The Shadow previously lurked, and adds extra shots of thunder and lightning.

After years of searching for that insert reel, a fellow fan was kind enough to get a copy to me and I promptly shared it on Youtube, the link you'll find below. It is presumed that after the material was culled for the NBC airing, it was never returned to the studio, maybe due to the distribution or ownership changing hands. Whatever the case, the footage was likely tossed out or destroyed, as an extensive search by the folks at Hen's Tooth Video for the Bluray release turned up nothing in any collection.

The inserted footage looks to have been completed and sweetened up by NBC/Universal with some oddly placed and questionable cartoon sound effect choices- notably, the rubbery sound that is supposed to be Inspector Winship's creaky footsteps, and a loud >POP< that follows a drop of soup that dribbles from the mouth of sloppy eater, Dr. Tart:

Careful listeners may notice that every time there is a particular pigeon cooing sound, you'll also hear a distant voice on the sfx track calling, "Track 4". Also, the piano strings breaking utilizes the same pinging sound effect heard in the dungeon as Tart walks across the bed of nails.

Of further note, other footage is rumored to have been seen but has yet to turn up in any format. Another scene of a pigeon catching fire due to a malfunctioning skyrocket attached to his back, and a scene where Tart discovers the crate of "murdered" pigeons with another non-rhyming note attached have been alleged to exist. There is also an extra shot of The Shadow that appears in the trailer only.

Yes, the movie is a favorite of mine and one that I have on multiple formats: VHS, dvd, laserdisc, Bluray and a retired airline print on 16mm!

With all existing footage added back in, plus the network movie of the week intro, the total run time comes to 1:39:14. Pretty substantial and satisfying as what I call a "supercut"!

Last edited:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
KING KONG (1976): 45 minutes added for 1978 NBC broadcast. Whereabouts of footage unknown.
The upcoming Shout! Factory Blu-Ray of KONG 76 will include the TV cut as a bonus feature. Currently unknown if it will be in widescreen or pan-and-scan.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I think I saw a version on AMC 15 years ago that showed the Terminator leaving the gun shop after he kills an employee there. Never saw it on any other copy.
Yes when Arnold kills the gun shop owner, there’s no shot of him walking out of the shop afterwards in any of the video releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks