What's new

TV cuts of films with deleted scenes. (3 Viewers)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
As per IMDB:

"The TV network version has about 20 or so minutes of footage added for prime time viewing. The some of the extra scenes include:
  • Fred Astaire first arriving at the building art gallery and talking with Jennifer Jones.
  • Additional dialogue between Paul Newman and Faye Dunaway in bed in his office.
  • The jeweler first arriving at the building with the gold scissors and Robert Wagner arguing with his office staff of planing the evening dedication party.
  • additional dialogue between William Holden and Robert Wagner in Duncan's office where Duncan considers canceling the party but is dissuaded by Bigelow.
  • A scene with William Holden talking to Faye Dunaway in the building lobby about her moving away from San Francisco.
  • Additional dialogue of the Mayor addressing the crowd at the pre-ceremony gathering.
  • A scene with Faye Dunaway and Susan Blakely talking at at table about their significant others during the party.
  • A scene where a security chief phones about another fire that's now on the reception area of the 65th floor of the building, and more scenes of firetrucks driving towards the building.
  • The harrowing climb down the fire stairs railing of the destroyed stairwell is longer and has some additional dialogue between Paul Newman and the others."
The Towering Inferno Special Edition DVD released by 20th Century Fox on May 9, 2006 contains 33 extended or deleted scenes (which thedigitalfix.com review claims to run a toal of 44 minutes and 40 seconds). All of the special features from the 2006 DVD were ported over to the 2009 Blu-ray release.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
All of that extra footage for "Towering Inferno" was in low-quality pan/scan condition when it was presented in the supplements.

One other title that had some slight extensions on TV was High Anxiety. I used to have a CBS broadcast recording from 1985 and I remember one scene after Dick Van Patten's death, Mel Brooks and Harvey Korman and both pronounce the word "cerebral" differently which leads to an exchange between the two (not in the theatrical cut) over how to pronounce "Caribbean" which then segues into "you say tomato?", "I say tomahto." "Oh, let's call the whole thing off!"

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since I don't think it was mentioned, the bizarre TV cut of The Thing preserved on the Shout blu-ray has scenes rearranged, an added voice over narrator, and an alternate ending where The Thing survives.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Since I don't think it was mentioned, the bizarre TV cut of The Thing preserved on the Shout blu-ray has scenes rearranged, an added voice over narrator, and an alternate ending where The Thing survives.

Thanks, I did not know that and I love that film. I knew the TV cut was on my Shout disc, but just hadn't found the time to check it out, thinking it would be mostly a toned-down version of Carpenter's classic.

That oversight will be rectified.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Yes -- recently watched this on the Scream Factory Blu-ray and it was eye-opening, to say the least. Very weird experience with the voiceover narration and all, and the picture quality was atrocious.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yes -- recently watched this on the Scream Factory Blu-ray and it was eye-opening, to say the least. Very weird experience with the voiceover narration and all, and the picture quality was atrocious.
I would assume the broadcast master was lost in the 2008 fire so crappy video quality from an off air is to be expected.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
I would assume the broadcast master was lost in the 2008 fire so crappy video quality from an off air is to be expected.
Well, sure; I wasn't really expecting incredible jaw-dropping PQ. But it truly did look like a VHS tape that may have been laying around Palmer and Childs' room in the film (when Palmer is switching out the recorded tapes of the old Let's Make a Deal episodes)...:eek::eek::biggrin::lol:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

speaking of eye opening, one of the additional shots clearly shows one of the dead Norwegians blinking.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Great thread! It reminded me that the Al Pacino-Ellen Barkin film SEA OF LOVE included multiple deleted scenes when it aired on network tv. I specifically recall they were in the first half only, and that the perfectly composed suspenseful second half remained unaltered.

I have not seen the film since the expanded edition was televised, but the bluray on Amazon lists deleted scenes as a bonus. I am uncertain if the almost 7 minutes of deleted footage on Youtube is the same as what's on the bluray and what was included on that broadcast nearly 3 decades ago.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
The original CBS broadcast of The Outsiders had a big dramatic scene for Rob Lowe near the end of the movie that wasn't in the theatrical cut. This scene was re-scored and re-added by Coppola for an extended cut released on DVD and BD.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Popped in the TV cut on the CC release of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Now I remember seeing it for the first time on TV many years ago and thought it was strange that scenes I remembered were not in the theatrical version. But the TV cut is a pretty altered version. Frankly I can see why many of the alternate scenes didn’t make the theatrical version. For example the scene at the beginning with Spicoli talking about the Mick Jagger guitar pick rambles on for too long (seems like they were letting Penn improvise that part). There’s a scene at the mall where Linda advises another classmate on how to get birth control. I imagine the scene was cut because it didn’t really do much to advance the story. Personally I think it makes Linda come off as a little too experienced and takes away from the believability of the character. Though nothing in either version of the movie corroborates it, I always got the impression that Linda was a bit of a pretender in how sexually experienced she claimed to be. Kind of how damone pretended to be all smooth but turned out to be sexually inept. There is also a strange scene when Stacey and Linda see Ron the stereo salesman’s car in the mall parking lot and Stacey reveals that he called her after their first date and Stacey’s mom revealed she was only in high school. But then a couple of scenes later they’re in the Pizza parlor and Linda asks Stacey whether Ron ever called her again as if the earlier conversation never took place.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Aside: on another forum, I got into some arguments about whether "dinosaur" bands were still popular with teens in the early 80s.

Given how much time "Fast Times" devotes to genuflecting toward the Stones, I think it proves I was right and teens DID still love the 60s bands back then! :D

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Aside: on another forum, I got into some arguments about whether "dinosaur" bands were still popular with teens in the early 80s.

Given how much time "Fast Times" devotes to genuflecting toward the Stones, I think it proves I was right and teens DID still love the 60s bands back then! :D
And yet I don’t recall any stones songs in Fast Times. However, Stones were still pretty active back then, no?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And yet I don’t recall any stones songs in Fast Times. However, Stones were still pretty active back then, no?

Correct about no songs, thoughprobably more due to $$$ than anything else.

1981 was a big year for the Stones. "Tattoo You" sold well, "Start Me Up" was a major hit, and the tour was MASSIVE.

1981 was a peak year for the band in a lot of ways, though really the end of an era.

Starting with 1983's "Undercover", the records sold less. "Undercover" moved about 1/4th the copies of "Tattoo You", and none of the subsequent albums were "big" like "Tattoo" and 1978's "Some Girls" had been.

The Stones had 3 more top 10 singles in the US, but none of them was as huge as "Start Me Up". That was really the last iconic Stones song,

In 1981, the Stones remained "current" but in a few years, they'd veered more toward dinosaur status.

Same thing happened to McCartney, Who and others.

When the Stones toured again in 1989, it was more about the past than the present, whereas in 1981, the Stones could play lots of newer material and the audiences loved it!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Correct about no songs, thoughprobably more due to $$$ than anything else.

You’d think that due to Crowe’s involvement and that they bagged Zeppelin (I know that they actually did want to use something from IV but the band wouldn’t allow it for some reason, but it ended up working in favor for Rat’s character) that the Stones wouldn’t have been an issue if Crowe/Heckerling wanted them. Though I suppose when it comes to music clearances everything is on a case by case basis.

I was watching Jerry Maguire not too long ago and there’s a part where he’s just driving in his car flipping through radio stations and I’m thinking “this is Crowe bragging about about being able to get clearances from artists/bands that most other directors can’t get”

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
You’d think that due to Crowe’s involvement and that they bagged Zeppelin (I know that they actually did want to use something from IV but the band wouldn’t allow it for some reason, but it ended up working in favor for Rat’s character) that the Stones wouldn’t have been an issue if Crowe/Heckerling wanted them. Though I suppose when it comes to music clearances everything is on a case by case basis.
My guess is that the music budget was eaten up by Zep. Even though they still had big names like Don Henley or Stevie Nicks, they were cheaper than paying for The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac or certainly the Stones.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I was watching Jerry Maguire not too long ago and there’s a part where he’s just driving in his car flipping through radio stations and I’m thinking “this is Crowe bragging about about being able to get clearances from artists/bands that most other directors can’t get”

My guess is that the music budget was eaten up by Zep. Even though they still had big names like Don Henley or Stevie Nicks, they were cheaper than paying for The Eagles or Fleetwood Mac or certainly the Stones.

Yeah, that's probably a lot of it.

Also, didn't Crowe have a good relationship with the (then-former) members of Led Zep?

Maybe I recall incorrectly, but I thought he used that relationship to get access to the song. If that's right, then it's possible he didn't have the same connection to the Stones.

Or maybe he just didn't want to use Stones music in the movie!

Also felt vaguely odd that there's no Van Halen in the film since they get mentioned as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks